some teams/players just arent clutch

Still need a coach that understands this. When you have a coach that runs substitutions the way he does creating and finding a leader is sometimes hard to do.

Yesterday is a perfect example because having MG sit in a game like that was negligent on his part. Seriously that was TERRIBLE!!! Sadly this isn't the first time we've seen crap like this.

Agree with this! Not sure he gets it with recruiting either. Said it in another thread but if Fran can't land a recruit, JUCO, or transfer out of the 4 scholarships that can start next year, then we will see more of the same.

I think this is what has made this season so frustrating. Similar to football a few years ago. Its about the "what could have been".
Even if they win half of these close games they are sitting at the top of the conference with 2, 3, or 4 losses total. In the top 10 nationally.
The close games always give more to debate about. One call, one missed shot, missed free throws. Coulda woulda shoulda. That is what is so frustrating. Couple that with the fact the same thing happened last year and you have a group of frustrated fans. We all think everyone should learn and improve upon from their mistakes, but if it doesnt happen people get more and more frustrated.p

Amen!

I think this is what has made this season so frustrating. Similar to football a few years ago. Its about the "what could have been".
Even if they win half of these close games they are sitting at the top of the conference with 2, 3, or 4 losses total. In the top 10 nationally.
The close games always give more to debate about. One call, one missed shot, missed free throws. Coulda woulda shoulda. That is what is so frustrating. Couple that with the fact the same thing happened last year and you have a group of frustrated fans. We all think everyone should learn and improve upon from their mistakes, but if it doesnt happen people get more and more frustrated.p

One of the main reasons its so frustrating is they are really close to being a dominant team. One of the main reasons I think is because of the coaching. Fran hasn't been at Iowa to have enough really mature players to the level of some of the other teams in the conference and the nation. Woody and Gesell are sophomores, but have really improved during the year. Olesani has great potential but is just starting to blossom. This team has shown the signs of a team that seems to be there, but is still pretty young. The coaching staff is doing such a great job it just is very frustrating because the players aren't there yet. Its to bad Marble, Basabe, and McCabe are finished this year. Oglesby, and the sophomore class should be a lot more experienced next year. Jok has great potential. Iowa needs to find a couple of guys this spring. Eventually the players and the coaching staff are going to catch up to each other.

As long as this team gets it figured out by Mid March that is fine by me. It sucks that winning the B1G title is not a possibility now but the team still has a lot of ball to play and can make it a special season.

I actually have a feeling Fran isnt going to go to his bench near as much once the NCAA tourney starts.

5 starters plus Uthoff, Oglesby and Gabe will be getting a huge majority of the minutes.

Still need a coach that understands this. When you have a coach that runs substitutions the way he does creating and finding a leader is sometimes hard to do.

Yesterday is a perfect example because having MG sit in a game like that was negligent on his part. Seriously that was TERRIBLE!!! Sadly this isn't the first time we've seen crap like this.
Yeah, but Gesell isn't one of the clutch players in crunch time. Yes, he's got ice water in his veins and he shoots lights out, but he's not athletic enough to get off his shot. He's 5'11" and he can't jump too well.

Last edited:
Yeah, but Gesell isn't one of the clutch players in crunch time. Yes, he's got ice water in his veins and he shoots lights out, but he's not athletic enough to get off his shot. He's 5'11' and he can't jump too well.

Saying Gesell isn't athletic is pretty funny but saying he can't jump is hilarious.

Yeah, but Gesell isn't one of the clutch players in crunch time. Yes, he's got ice water in his veins and he shoots lights out, but he's not athletic enough to get off his shot. He's 5'11' and he can't jump too well.

gesell has the highest vert on the team

watch that last play again

utoff curls then cuts to the block in position to rebound

mccabe comes off white's screen

the lane is open for the pg if the shooter doesn't have a good look

ok, mccabe had a good look, but he's 25% in B1G play; marble could drive and draw contact, or drive and kick to ogs.

picture gesell, ogs, marble, white, utoff: utoff still the first cut, white sets the pick for marble, who could shoot the 3 or drive; gesell has the option of drive/kick if marble doesn't have a good look. as a completely unqualified fan, and a crappy ex-hs coach, I like this scenario better than the one that actually played out.

marble has length, but gesell has a better first step. he's the second most athletic player of the roster, after the human freak gabe.

Last edited:
I'm always impressed by how many D-1 coaches we have visiting our boards on a day to day basis. It really is a shame that Fran and his group of young and inexperienced coaches have no idea what they're doing. We will all just have to cross our fingers and hope they learn as they get more experience. Check the setting on sarcasm detectors.

One of the main reasons its so frustrating is they are really close to being a dominant team. One of the main reasons I think is because of the coaching. Fran hasn't been at Iowa to have enough really mature players to the level of some of the other teams in the conference and the nation. Woody and Gesell are sophomores, but have really improved during the year. Olesani has great potential but is just starting to blossom. This team has shown the signs of a team that seems to be there, but is still pretty young. The coaching staff is doing such a great job it just is very frustrating because the players aren't there yet. Its to bad Marble, Basabe, and McCabe are finished this year. Oglesby, and the sophomore class should be a lot more experienced next year. Jok has great potential. Iowa needs to find a couple of guys this spring. Eventually the players and the coaching staff are going to catch up to each other.

This post is along the lines of what I was going to say. Our 2 most highly regarded recruits are sophomores...and improving by leaps and bounds. Let's see what happens when they are juniors and seniors and more of a focal point both during and at the end of games.

I love this team, but they just aren't clutch. Sadly I would be surprised if they make it past the first round in the NCAA tourney.

Unfortunately, I have to more or less agree, although I'll say my official prediction will be to win one and lose in the round of 32. Iowa will be facing good teams in the NCAA Tournament, and isn't likely to just blow right past the first two games and into the Sweet 16. It's probably going to have to close out a very tight game at least once if it's going to get past the first weekend. I just haven't seen anything the last year (or two) to make me optimistic this will happen.

I'm always impressed by how many D-1 coaches we have visiting our boards on a day to day basis. It really is a shame that Fran and his group of young and inexperienced coaches have no idea what they're doing. We will all just have to cross our fingers and hope they learn as they get more experience. Check the setting on sarcasm detectors.

note previous remarks qualified as coming from a fan and a crappy ex-hs coach.

it's assumed that none of us really know crap.

I kind of agree. While we are a little better at finishing this year as opposed to last, we still aren't that good at finishing. I don't know what it is, but if I was Fran if search high and low for the answer because my bet is that all our tourney games will be close and we will need to finish. Must find answer

Yeah, but Gesell isn't one of the clutch players in crunch time. Yes, he's got ice water in his veins and he shoots lights out, but he's not athletic enough to get off his shot. He's 5'11" and he can't jump too well.
Have you ever seen Gessell in person? I know he doesn't look it on tv but he's a legit 6'1 and from what I can tell he can jump just fine also.

Have you ever seen Gessell in person? I know he doesn't look it on tv but he's a legit 6'1 and from what I can tell he can jump just fine also.

Yep, didn't you see MG almost 2 hand dunk a missed layup on a fast break a few games ago? It was after a foul was called, so it didn't matter, but I thought to myself WOW, didn't think he could do that. Also, how many times does MG take it into the lane against the trees and score. He jumps very well and has great arm extension to avoid blocked shots.

The ball will be in his hands at the end of games for the next 2 years. That's going to be a good thing.

Gesell has the best vertical on the team.

Unfortunately, I have to more or less agree, although I'll say my official prediction will be to win one and lose in the round of 32. Iowa will be facing good teams in the NCAA Tournament, and isn't likely to just blow right past the first two games and into the Sweet 16. It's probably going to have to close out a very tight game at least once if it's going to get past the first weekend. I just haven't seen anything the last year (or two) to make me optimistic this will happen.

I'm not sure they will be in a tight last second shot type of game before the Sweet 16. Going through the B1G this season has been like playing an NCAA caliber team every night. I honestly think the first couple of games will be against a step down in competition...for all 5 of the top B1G teams.

Latest posts