Some stats....

Foval21

The first number is the plus/minus of the team when the player was on the court, the second is when they were on the bench.

Basabe: +1, -14
Clemmons: -6, -7
Gesell: 0, -13
Jok: -2, -11
Marble: -14, +1
McCabe: -3, -10
Oglesby: -7, -6
Olaseni: -9, -4
Uthoff: -6, -7
White: -15, +2
Woodbury: -4, -9

plus/minus stats are not the end all be all and in fact many don't like them but I think they can tell you more with the lineups. I haven't done any cross checking of which lineups seemed to work best but I can make some statements. Every time woody wasn't in the game things fell apart...he played 30 min and had those splits...yes we were negative with him in but I think that is more because of guys that were around him. Just look at how bad the numbers were for white and marble and they played 36 min so in 6 more min of their time there was a 10 to 11 point swing. Gesell only played 19 min...he should have played more. I don't care that his offense wasn't great...we play better with him in the game. Jok's offense made up for his defense as he scored and then allowed others to score as they started really focusing on him when he was in. Basabe should have played more as his defense helped more than his weak offense hurt...but he was limited by fouls so that becomes a moot point. With very little cross checking it looks like most of marble's negative line came while he was playing pg.

add any stats you find helpful or telling to the conversation.

Last edited:
IIRC, hawks shot 52% in first half (mostly in first 16 minutes) while TN shot 39%

For the game the hawks shot 41% so they shot around 30% in the second half (an all too common thread)

While TN for the game shot almost 45% so they must have shot around 50% in the second half.

50% to 30% is pretty much the story, pretty telling as the hawks got few easy chances in the second half

Iowa was outscored by 13 in OT, any overall plus minus stats are going to be heavily skewed for the guys who were on the court for those five mins.

Iowa was outscored by 13 in OT, any overall plus minus stats are going to be heavily skewed for the guys who were on the court for those five mins.

And that can say a lot about the coaching allowing those guys to stay in when it wasn't working.

Interesting stats, but please explain more fully the difference in the two numbers

The first number is the plus/minus when a player is in the game. Which means how many more or less points the team scored than the opponent when the player was in the game. While the second is the same thing when the player was off the court.

so look at basabe: +1, -14 - this means that when basabe was in Iowa out scored Tennessee by 1 point, but when he wasn't in the game Iowa was out scored by 14 points.

And that can say a lot about the coaching allowing those guys to stay in when it wasn't working.

White was -13 in OT, Marble -10, Woodbury -10, McCabe -10, Gesell -7, Jok -8, Olesani -3, Basabe -1, Clemmons -1, Uthoff 0 in the final 32 seconds. Who did you want on the floor? A Clemmons-Oglesby-Uthoff-Basabe-Meyer lineup wasn't bringing this team back.

The first number is the plus/minus when a player is in the game. Which means how many more or less points the team scored than the opponent when the player was in the game. While the second is the same thing when the player was off the court.

so look at basabe: +1, -14 - this means that when basabe was in Iowa out scored Tennessee by 1 point, but when he wasn't in the game Iowa was out scored by 14 points.

You need to edit the first line of the OP. That is were the confusion is coming from.

I am taking the OT out of the numbers so the same thing without the overtime included...just the 1st and 2nd halves.

basabe: +2, -2
clemmons: -5, +5
gesell: +7, -7
jok: +6, -6
marble: -4, +4
mccabe: +7, -7
oglesby: -5, +5
olaseni: -6, +6
uthoff: -6, +6
white: -2, +2
woodbury: +6, -6

so yes the ot skewed somethings. But it also proved that certain players weren't helping a lot in either of the halves.

ot plus/minus splits would be as follows (this doesn't mean much as it is such a short amount of time):

basabe: -1, -12
clemmons: -1, -12
gesell: -7, -6
jok: -8, -5
marble: -10, -3
mccabe: -10, -3
oglesby: -2, -11
olaseni: -3, -10
uthoff: 0, -13
white: -13, 0
woodbury: -10, -3

White was -13 in OT, Marble -10, Woodbury -10, McCabe -10, Gesell -7, Jok -8, Olesani -3, Basabe -1, Clemmons -1, Uthoff 0 in the final 32 seconds. Who did you want on the floor? A Clemmons-Oglesby-Uthoff-Basabe-Meyer lineup wasn't bringing this team back.

The key is try something different because Tennessee had figured us out and it was win or go home situation.

I am taking the OT out of the numbers so the same thing without the overtime included...just the 1st and 2nd halves.

basabe: +2, -2
clemmons: -5, +5
gesell: +7, -7
jok: +6, -6
marble: -4, +4
mccabe: +7, -7
oglesby: -5, +5
olaseni: -6, +6
uthoff: -6, +6
white: -2, +2
woodbury: +6, -6

so yes the ot skewed somethings. But it also proved that certain players weren't helping a lot in either of the halves.

ot plus/minus splits would be as follows (this doesn't mean much as it is such a short amount of time):

Thank you, Foval21 for breaking this down.
Man-clapping.gif

basabe: +2, -2, 9 min
clemmons: -5, +5, 4 min
gesell: +7, -7, 19 min
jok: +6, -6, 16 min
marble: -4, +4, 36 min
mccabe: +7, -7, 22 min
oglesby: -5, +5, 17 min
olaseni: -6, +6, 16 min
uthoff: -6, +6, 20 min
white: -2, +2, 36 min
woodbury: +6, -6, 30 min

I don't know the breakdown of minutes per half but I put in the total minutes.

Minutes:

Basabe - 9
Clemmons - 4
Gesell - 19
Jok - 16
Marble - 36
McCabe - 22
Oglesby - 17
Olaseni - 16
Uthoff - 20
White - 36
Woodbury - 30

went with woody more because he was playing well...thing is he was +6 during the regulation time and had to play more than 25 min...yet marble and white were -4 and -2 respectively in regulation playing only about 5 or 6 min more. I would bet they were all three on the court together a majority and woody probably never was without one of them...so I say woody was maybe the most important guy on the court for Iowa...not because of points but because the team just played better with him.

I was always told that you should score at least as many points as the number of shots you take. That means you are getting fts or making around 50% of 2s and 33% of 3s...using that criteria I have these numbers...points vs fgs and the ratio. The higher the ratio is the more efficient I feel the player was in scoring. This can show how well a guy shot or how well they got to the line. If you aren't making outside shots you should attack to get fouled and get freebies.

basabe - 0 vs 2 = 0
clemmons - 2 vs 1 = 2
Gesell - 0 vs 4 = 0
jok - 10 vs 5 = 2
marble - 7 vs 15 = .47
mccabe - 9 vs 5 = 1.8
oglesby - 5 vs 5 = 1
olaseni - 3 vs 1 = 3
Uthoff - 6 vs 4 = 1.5
white - 7 vs 5 = 1.4
woody - 16 vs 11 = 1.45

should have had jok shoot more along with Uthoff and McCabe...they were filling it better. Those 3 combined for less shots than marble but scored 18 more points.

Crazy stats I found about Aaron white...his per 40 stats for all three yrs are pretty much identical. Which means he really has gotten much better.

per 40 min...mg averaged 7 assts per 40 which is up from 4 last yr and dropped the turnovers to 2 per 40 from 3 the previous yr.

Latest posts