Some Interesting Iowa Stats

khaal53

First off, yes, I am an Iowa State fan.

I have a website (www.encyclonepedia.com) and have recently been working on some NCAA wide football stats as opposed to just the Big 12 I have been doing. I'm still just poking around a little bit to find some interesting things. Anyway, I thought that you might find this interesting:

Iowa averages more defensive plays per opponents possession than any other team in the NCAA with 6.6. Here's the top 10:

Team......................Def Plays / Poss
Iowa...............................6.6
Northern Ill.......................6.1
Navy...............................6.0
Minnesota........................6.0
UCLA...............................5.9
Air Force..........................5.9
Maryland..........................5.9
Tennessee........................5.9
Miami (FL)........................5.9
New Mexico......................5.9

Is that an indication of the defense struggling to get off the field or the result of a bad defense or the combo of the two?

Also, going hand in hand with that, Iowa is 114th in offensive possessions per game in the NCAA with 10.75 drives per game.

Not just trying to rail the negatives on you, but thought I'd share. Iowa is 15th in the BCS in points scored per offensive possession. It's all on my site, the BCS as a whole and each BCS conference by itself.

Just thought I'd share.

I knew our defensive was bad, but I didn't realize it was that bad. I was surprised at how few offensive possessions we seem to get. Good work.

First off, yes, I am an Iowa State fan.

I have a website (www.encyclonepedia.com) and have recently been working on some NCAA wide football stats as opposed to just the Big 12 I have been doing. I'm still just poking around a little bit to find some interesting things. Anyway, I thought that you might find this interesting:

Iowa averages more defensive plays per opponents possession than any other team in the NCAA with 6.6. Here's the top 10:

Team......................Def Plays / Poss
Iowa...............................6.6
Northern Ill.......................6.1
Navy...............................6.0
Minnesota........................6.0
UCLA...............................5.9
Air Force..........................5.9
Maryland..........................5.9
Tennessee........................5.9
Miami (FL)........................5.9
New Mexico......................5.9

Is that an indication of the defense struggling to get off the field or the result of a bad defense or the combo of the two?

Also, going hand in hand with that, Iowa is 114th in offensive possessions per game in the NCAA with 10.75 drives per game.

Not just trying to rail the negatives on you, but thought I'd share. Iowa is 15th in the BCS in points scored per offensive possession. It's all on my site, the BCS as a whole and each BCS conference by itself.

Just thought I'd share.

It is a combination of a couple things. Obviously, the defense this year is struggling and not up to par. But, even in a good year, teams usually have to put together long, sustained drives in order to score, so I would guess that Iowa is normally not great in the statistic anyway.

Here are some stats for you:

Iowa State has an all time losing record in the regular season and in bowls.
Iowa State has never had a Heisman winner.
Iowa State has no national titles, and has never even sniffed at one.
Iowa State since its inception still hasn't found its identity.

Not trying to rail the negatives on you...
Not to be a racist, but...
Not trying to be offensive...

Great way to plug your site, go back and learn some marketing strategies that aren't strictly related to selling crops and scooping manure.

Great way to plug your site, go back and learn some marketing strategies that aren't strictly related to selling crops and scooping manure.

The OP provided more inciteful and relevant information than 90% of the posters here. We need more posters like this...not less.

You on the other hand...welcome to my 'Ignore User' list.

A great example of why I stopped cheering for Iowa 10 years ago.

This just further demonstrates how good Iowa could be with a good defense. If we had the defense of 2009, we would easily be undefeated right now. What a difference 2 years makes.

Dude you need to get a life. The guy came on here dropping some knowledge. You need to quit cheering for Iowa, move to Omaha, and become a Nebraska fan.

Dude you need to get a life. The guy came on here dropping some knowledge. You need to quit cheering for Iowa, move to Omaha, and become a Nebraska fan.

yeah, hard to understand the hostility towards someone providing facts. They're interested, so what? Sadly, we have plenty of ****** fans that rag on our rivals

This is the typical response from the KF homers on this site. Fighting reality with mental retardation.

Hey I am all for removing trolls. This guy is far from that and provided information I have not seen. Interesting stuff! Statistically I can see why we are wearing down in the 4th.

Rick Stanzi has as many bowl wins as Iowa State has in their existence.

The absolute worst type of Iowa fan. This is the type of toolbag that gets in opposing fan's faces too in Iowa City.

I think the 15th in points per possession is interesting. A lot of people blame the offense when we lose and point to our total yards and points, but we are often a pretty efficient offense, if not a consistent one.

The D, on the other hand, has decent numbers in points and yards even in its down years because of the same 'limiting the possessions' strategy/outcome. These are useful numbers.

These stats are all things you can get from multiple sites. So, herald him for coming on here with a backhanded introduction to his site waving stats in our face, but this is nothing he is compiling or engineering.

WOW. And we allow 10% more plays per possession than the second worst team in college football!! That's Norm Parker football for you....whatever you do, stay on the field! Our LBs should lead the world in tackles cuz they never leave the field. No wonder we ALWAYS lose close games....our defense is completely gassed by quarter four. We couldn't stop a HS team from scoring at that point!

Latest posts