Some final thoughts on Iowa football's season

BSpringsteen

1: JVB

The guy was fine. But he wasn't a QB who would go out and win you a game. He also wasn't a QB that would cost you a game with mistakes. But if you look back at the great years of Iowa football. You had Brad Banks (Heisman runner up) Drew Tate (all Big 10 first year starting as a So) and Ricky Stanzi (currently in the NFL and the only Hawkeye QB in the NFL in the KF era.) The one great season we had with a ho-hum QB was Nathan Chandler and that team boasted one of the best defenses of the decade in the Big 10.

For Iowa football to succeed we need either a scary good magician of a QB or a Defense that frightens the fecal matter out of their opponents anuses.

2: Playing to our strength.

I realize that Coker wasn't himself for the first four or five games of the regular season and that we had an injury to our backup. We still had players that proved effective while they were in, specifically De'Andre Johnson who I really liked what I saw.

So I would ask the masses...

If you have a football team with a suspect defense, and a QB who isn't capable of winning you a game, but can certainly manage the offense effectively enough to not lose you a game, how do you gameplan?

Ball control offense.

Some of you might say that we had a huge NFL talent at WR, we needed to find him the ball. You'd be right. But, we needed to be running the ball 40-45 times a game,and throwing 15-20

We had a RB who wasn't capable of hitting a HR but sure hit a lot of doubles. The guy was a given for 4-5 yards per carry. Why not shove it down their throats the entire length of the field? And then when we've beaten up 7 in the box and they put the eighth guy up, is when you hit the PA homerun ball to McNutt.

In 2004, we had a RB who was just barely good enough to make the LB's at least have to guess what the play was going to be. Drew Tate was the weapon. This year Coker and co. were Drew Tate and JVB to McNutt would have been a significant increase in effectiveness over Sam Brownlee.

But the playcalling was too cute. That is ok O'Keefe, and on Ferentz for not giving the directive on the type of team we had to become this year.

3. Iowa getting beat by opponents playing Iowa's scheme.

This goes off the last point. Opponents were scared out of their minds of McNutt. They doubled, they brought safety help. This may have allowed the Coker and RB machine to really get into high gear.

So opponents conceded the running game, much like Iowa concedes the short passing game. They dared us to march down the field 4-5 yards at a time, and we failed. Just like we dare opponents to dink us down the field with underneath passes. It shows how hard it is to be patient.

Had we been patient though and relied on what we had the entire drive rather than getting cute, I think at the very least, we win both the Minnesota game and the ISU game.

1: JVB

The guy was fine. But he wasn't a QB who would go out and win you a game. He also wasn't a QB that would cost you a game with mistakes. But if you look back at the great years of Iowa football. You had Brad Banks (Heisman runner up) Drew Tate (all Big 10 first year starting as a So) and Ricky Stanzi (currently in the NFL and the only Hawkeye QB in the NFL in the KF era.) The one great season we had with a ho-hum QB was Nathan Chandler and that team boasted one of the best defenses of the decade in the Big 10.

For Iowa football to succeed we need either a scary good magician of a QB or a Defense that frightens the fecal matter out of their opponents anuses.

2: Playing to our strength.

I realize that Coker wasn't himself for the first four or five games of the regular season and that we had an injury to our backup. We still had players that proved effective while they were in, specifically De'Andre Johnson who I really liked what I saw.

So I would ask the masses...

If you have a football team with a suspect defense, and a QB who isn't capable of winning you a game, but can certainly manage the offense effectively enough to not lose you a game, how do you gameplan?

Ball control offense.

Some of you might say that we had a huge NFL talent at WR, we needed to find him the ball. You'd be right. But, we needed to be running the ball 40-45 times a game,and throwing 15-20

We had a RB who wasn't capable of hitting a HR but sure hit a lot of doubles. The guy was a given for 4-5 yards per carry. Why not shove it down their throats the entire length of the field? And then when we've beaten up 7 in the box and they put the eighth guy up, is when you hit the PA homerun ball to McNutt.

In 2004, we had a RB who was just barely good enough to make the LB's at least have to guess what the play was going to be. Drew Tate was the weapon. This year Coker and co. were Drew Tate and JVB to McNutt would have been a significant increase in effectiveness over Sam Brownlee.

But the playcalling was too cute. That is ok O'Keefe, and on Ferentz for not giving the directive on the type of team we had to become this year.

3. Iowa getting beat by opponents playing Iowa's scheme.

This goes off the last point. Opponents were scared out of their minds of McNutt. They doubled, they brought safety help. This may have allowed the Coker and RB machine to really get into high gear.

So opponents conceded the running game, much like Iowa concedes the short passing game. They dared us to march down the field 4-5 yards at a time, and we failed. Just like we dare opponents to dink us down the field with underneath passes. It shows how hard it is to be patient.

Had we been patient though and relied on what we had the entire drive rather than getting cute, I think at the very least, we win both the Minnesota game and the ISU game.

I understand what you are trying to say and as far as the running stuff goes I do agree. But many on here continually and without much merit lament the supposed conservativeness of KOK and our offense.

Furthermore I’d say Vandy pretty clearly won that Pitt game and was highly instrumental in a couple others.

Chad

I disagree about running the ball more at Iowa State. I found myself screaming at the TV every time they insisted on running the ball into 8/9 man fronts during that game and the first half of the Pitt game. When the QB goes to the line and sees this you need to give him the flexibility to audible out of it and go down field as there will be someone open. Vandy should be drooling anytime he sees 1 on 1 coverage on either Davis or McNutt. That ball controlled offense would have gotten Iowa beat against Pitt, Northwestern, and Michigan. They ran the ball just fine at Minnesota, they just could not poke it into the endzone.

I know I'm only the 4th post to this thread but not a contrary word about the defense? HUH?

Ferentz is a conservative coach. He wants a strong defense and an offense that doesn't make mistakes.

In each of Iowa's last two seasons, Iowa's offense has become increasing more productive (for example, with passing) while Iowa's defense has become increasingly less productive (for example, on the D.L.).

Is Ferentz happy with the degradation of the defense - the most important part of his football scheme? IMO, he doesn't seem to want to make any changes.

How does Ferentz expect to win with a conservative offense and a degrading defense?

I know I'm only the 4th post to this thread but not a contrary word about the defense? HUH?

Ferentz is a conservative coach. He wants a strong defense and an offense that doesn't make mistakes.

In each of Iowa's last two seasons, Iowa's offense has become increasing more productive (for example, with passing) while Iowa's defense has become increasingly less productive (for example, on the D.L.).

Is Ferentz happy with the degradation of the defense - the most important part of his football scheme? IMO, he doesn't seem to want to make any changes.

How does Ferentz expect to win with a conservative offense and a degrading defense?

Well they sure made a BUNCH this year. Obviously they didn't work as well as we'd hoped, but changes there were, on both sides of the ball actually.

Chad

I meant coaching changes. How about replacing KOK for a more prolific offense and replacing Parker for a more prolific defense?

Since Ferentz is a conservative coach, IMO, he'd think a strong defense was most important. Besides, he hates change. IMO, he's not gonna change out both his coordinators.

Actually, I doubt Ferentz changes out either of his coordinators. Particulary when one realizes Ferentz runs both Iowa's offense and defense.

Last edited:
Kirk Ferentz has NO intention of changing either of his co-ordinators. Just because some message board people want a change doesn't mean that there will be one.

I meant coaching changes. How about replacing KOK for a more prolific offense and replacing Parker for a more prolific defense?

Since Ferentz is a conservative coach, IMO, he'd think a strong defense was most important. Besides, he hates change. IMO, he's not gonna change out both his coordinators.

Actually, I doubt Ferentz changes out either of his coordinators. Particulary when one realizes Ferentz runs both Iowa's offense and defense.

Well as I have said many times, KOK was a spread coach at Allegheny and won a NC in 1990. As far as change, typically NO ONE likes it and based on all the changes I’ve personally witnessed since 2001, I guess I’m not sure what your talking about.

Now to be fair I do seem to be more adept and seeing “changes” than some people....;)

Chad

Kirk Ferentz has NO intention of changing either of his co-ordinators. Just because some message board people want a change doesn't mean that there will be one.

^ this

It is not open for discussion. If you want new coordinators then you will have to get rid of KF. I still like the entire body of work produced by this coaching staff as I've said many times I will take a 7-5 record in a down year. I did not like losing to ISU or Minnesota either but I did enjoy the turn around against Pitt and upsetting Michigan. In the end this was a 7-5 team.

Coker damn near set the All time Iowa record for carries,and BS wanted Iowa to pound the rock a lot more? Whoa.
First off, the offense was not near the problem the defense was in terms of impact on winning games.
Secondly, Vandy had the 3rd highest passing efficiency numbers in the league,led the league in yardage,and threw 26 td passes to 7 interceptions,and he could not win us games? This just in...26 tds in 12 games do win games. Scoring over 30pts a game is enough to win 9-10 games.
If Mike Meyers hits fgs that are makeable, we win the ISU and Minny game and Vandy is a hero of a 9-3 team.

I think Marcus needed a partner at rb to keep him fresher. As Gamefilm said, by the Neb game,the 320 car wrecks he was involved in the last 11 weeks had taken a brutal toll,and he was very beaten up.
The season started going off the rails in the first qter of the first game when McCall broke his ankle. Then the defense started getting hurt,and Iowa was in catchup mode the rest of the year.

The story of this season is the same as most at Iowa....lack of depth when key injuries struck left us short at key positions....last year it was LBer,and this year it was D-line.

^ this

It is not open for discussion. If you want new coordinators then you will have to get rid of KF. I still like the entire body of work produced by this coaching staff as I've said many times I will take a 7-5 record in a down year. I did not like losing to ISU or Minnesota either but I did enjoy the turn around against Pitt and upsetting Michigan. In the end this was a 7-5 team.

What are you talking about in a down year??? You do realize that next year we're supposed to be worse right...and this year we had one of the easiest schedules in the BIG.

Just to summarize, let me get this right...you're okay with 7-5 with the BIG's best receiver, one of the better QBs (statwise) in the BIG, one of the top 4 running backs in the BIG, a fairly experienced OL, a DL anchored with seniors that came into the season with a good amount of playing experience, a good defensive backfield with Prater and Hyde, and a solid punter/fg unit? You'll take 7-5 with all of that...and with a schedule that was one of the easiest in the BIG????

Wow...

Wow is right OverratedD.

Some posters are so willing to accept mediocrity.
I don't even know how to relate to someone like that.

Latest posts