Solutions for 18-19 that won’t happen

That’s a fair point. I’m still not convinced he knows how to use a screen to get open, and he’s in his third year of D1 basketball. I don’t think basketball IQ is something that improves much over the summer so that’s not good.

His shots always seem out of rhythm too.

His shots always seem out of rhythm too.
One way or another I’d like to see Baer back at the 6th man next year. For whatever reason he just seems to do better in that role and the team looks better as well.

How many times this year have our starters been right in the game and then Fran brings in the subs and the other team goes on a quick 8-0 run?

Bohannon playing the 1 is about 10 times better than Moss playing the 2. Honestly, if we could get a really good 1 and move Bohannon to the 2, or get an equally good 2 and leave Bohannon at the 1, it wouldn't matter much either way. The way we improve the team quickest is eliminate Moss's (or any other 2 guard on the team) minutes.

While typing this post, Moss just shot 2 more jump shots with his foot on the 3 point line.

Moss was a clear recruiting miss.

I would play Connor without knowing a thing about him over Moss. Or Fredrick for that matter. One of two things needs to happen to not suck next year. Moss has to improve a TON, or he has to hardly see the floor. We have no chance to win if one of those two things doesn't happen next year.

Moss is a role player. On a decent team he is coming off the bench giving you 12 to 15 minutes a game. At the beginning of the year we were hoping for a huge upside......now we know exactly what we got.

I was looking at Fran's first team here at Iowa. JR Gatens, JR Cartwright, SO Eric May and FR Devyn marble would all start or get significant minutes on this year's team. The team that was so devoid of talent that posters refuse to count it against Fran's coaching record, has several players that we would kill to get into our current line up. Based purely on athleticism. I'd take Cartwright, Gatens and May at the 1,2 and 3 spots right now! We'd cut our ppg allowed in half. And people actually argue that this current team isn't as bad as a Lickliter team?
That team did win 4 Big Ten games, so it's hard to argue against this.

Why would we listen to him? He was wrong too.
Jon's MO appears to be lower expectations until you are correct or they are exceeded. He got burned by '16 football so he went with 6-6 in football for '17. Now he'll probably go for 6-12 in basketball next year just to avoid looking a fool again.

Actually Jon's MO seems to be radio silence now. I wonder how many podcast listeners he'll lose by refusing to talk during this debacle.

That is some horrible luck to get 2 in the same season. The odds of ever getting another is probably pretty good. But it's so scary I don't know if I could take that chance.
My younger sisters college career was cut short by a pair of concussions. She has made a full recovery, but the risk was too great to keep playing.

Jon's MO appears to be lower expectations until you are correct or they are exceeded. He got burned by '16 football so he went with 6-6 in football for '17. Now he'll probably go for 6-12 in basketball next year just to avoid looking a fool again.
He's entitled to his prediction, just like anyone else.

He's entitled to his prediction, just like anyone else.
Yes, but intentionally lowering expectations is kind of stupid in my opinion. If I say I think we'll be 1-2 going into Wisconsin next year, I'm entitled to that prediction but its kind of a stupid prediction.

I just think his basketball IQ is so low that he has no chance to ever be a good player. His dribble around a screen pull up jumper to beat the shot clock with his foot on the 3 point line was just ridiculous. I bet there isn't another D1 guard in the nation that would ever have a foot on the line in that situation. There was no excuse for it. And he does it all the time.

I listened to a podcast a few months ago from a former NBA personnel guy who now runs https://cleaningtheglass.com/. He was talking about projecting young players, and things that generally improve and things that generally don't. One of the things that generally DOES NOT improve much is feel for the game.

I find that concerning regarding Iowa's defense. From some of Coach McCafferey's comments after the last game, he made it sound like the players don't "think" the game very well on the defensive end. I am not sure if that is something we can expect to change much with this crop of players.

I listened to a podcast a few months ago from a former NBA personnel guy who now runs https://cleaningtheglass.com/. He was talking about projecting young players, and things that generally improve and things that generally don't. One of the things that generally DOES NOT improve much is feel for the game.

I find that concerning regarding Iowa's defense. From some of Coach McCafferey's comments after the last game, he made it sound like the players don't "think" the game very well on the defensive end. I am not sure if that is something we can expect to change much with this crop of players.
Yea that's bad.

Yes, but intentionally lowering expectations is kind of stupid in my opinion. If I say I think we'll be 1-2 going into Wisconsin next year, I'm entitled to that prediction but its kind of a stupid prediction.

Is it really that stupid to lower expectations for a program that generally underperforms?

Latest posts