So, who else cringes every time they hear "ISU football has turned the corner"?

A little premature?

Ya think?

That's why I said it, yeah. Doesn't mean that he can't have the same type of impact at ISU that Fry had on Iowa.

Of course, that means he's going to have to stay their 20 years, and we all know that ISU finances would be somewhat....limited if a bigger school came after him.

That's why I said it, yeah. Doesn't mean that he can't have the same type of impact at ISU that Fry had on Iowa.

Of course, that means he's going to have to stay their 20 years, and we all know that ISU finances would be somewhat....limited if a bigger school came after him.

The big thing in ISU's favor in that regard is that Rhoads WANTS to be at ISU. He's not Chizik, who was always going to jump at the first SEC job that came his way. Rhoads is a home-grown guy, and he's in his dream job. It's pretty hard to lure guys away from that.

And turned a corner? Not quite sure, but if they keep improving the next couple years, that Nebraska game is going to be the one everybody points to and says "THAT'S when it happened". Just like how we look at the 2008 PSU game.

The big thing in ISU's favor in that regard is that Rhoads WANTS to be at ISU. He's not Chizik, who was always going to jump at the first SEC job that came his way. Rhoads is a home-grown guy, and he's in his dream job. It's pretty hard to lure guys away from that.

And turned a corner? Not quite sure, but if they keep improving the next couple years, that Nebraska game is going to be the one everybody points to and says "THAT'S when it happened". Just like how we look at the 2008 PSU game.

Let's not get crazy here. ISU took a chance on Rhoads, and he was just as likely to flame out like Chizik did as opposed to getting them back to the level Mac had them at before Pollard fired him. ISU beat the teams they should have beat last year, and got a gift win at Nebraska.

If Rhoads is the coach that he appears to be - a damn good one - he will eventually plateau at ISU, and it will be at that point where the pull of home is overcome by a bigger paycheck somewhere else.

Let's not get crazy here. ISU took a chance on Rhoads, and he was just as likely to flame out like Chizik did as opposed to getting them back to the level Mac had them at before Pollard fired him. ISU beat the teams they should have beat last year, and got a gift win at Nebraska.

If Rhoads is the coach that he appears to be - a damn good one - he will eventually plateau at ISU, and it will be at that point where the pull of home is overcome by a bigger paycheck somewhere else.

When I said Rhoads isn't like Chizik, I meant he won't leap at the first "big-time" job. It isn't just a stepping stone, I don't think.

When I said Rhoads isn't like Chizik, I meant he won't leap at the first "big-time" job. It isn't just a stepping stone, I don't think.

I'm with you on that, Rhoads will be there long enough to see the job to it's completion, but at some point he will have taken ISU as far as they can go.

I don't know that I've heard the phrase "turned the corner" or not but I don't know how you could say they are not at least going in the right direction after going to a bowl and winning it. That being said it is way too early. They had a losing record in their conference and their signature win last year was against a Nebraska team that turned the ball over what 9 times or something? I think "turning the corner" would be going to bowls consistently and I don't see that happening in the next few years but who knows.

I'm with you on that, Rhoads will be there long enough to see the job to it's completion, but at some point he will have taken ISU as far as they can go.

Well loads of coaches do that all the time. Obviously they went farther, but JoePa has taken Penn State as far as they can go, Urban Meyer has taken Florida as far as they can go. There's many more. They don't go jumping at the pros, which is the next step for them.

Hayden stuck here even when we'd topped out in the mid '80s, and then slowly dropped off. And he was no hometown guy. Rhoads could very well be that kind of coach for ISU.

My wife sees Ben Lamaak on a fairly regular basis. He talks about Rhoads as a different style of coach that the players are buying in to. It will be interesting to see what year #2 has in order.

They are going to "turn the corner" right into the MAC conference

Check out their schedule last year. Other then the 8-0 turnover game vs NEB there wasn't one quality win.

Check out their schedule last year. Other then the 8-0 turnover game vs NEB there wasn't one quality win.

I've been trying to convey the same message. I hear so many people including Deace and Chris Williams say the Rhodes should have won Big 12 Coach of the Year but when I look at the the quality of competition that ISU beat last year....I don't see it. They had one quality win. While I agree that Rhodes has brought the right atmosphere that could lead to ISU "turning the corner", it's way to early to determine his or ISU's future success by last year's record.

I think ISU will be better this year but their record won't reflect it. They have a tough schedule this year and I see them winning 4 or 5 games.

Anyone who can't see the improvement from Chizik's last year to Rhoad's first...is kidding themselves. Rhoads is just getting started, but as first seasons go in the situation he was handed, he could hardly have done any better.

Coach Rhoads bleeds Cardinal and Gold...and that is reminiscent of Dan McCarney. And that's a great thing. The difference between the two men, hopefully, is that Rhoads is a better recruiter and game coach...both seem roughly equal in terms of enthusiasm and love for the program. Rhoads has a lot to prove of course, but he "looks" like he may be the guy to lead ISU for the next 20 years or beyond. That is why I compared him with Fry. That, and the fact that when Fry arrived at Iowa...Iowa football was one of the worst football programs in America. And he turned it around. It takes not just a great coach to do that, but the right coach who fits perfectly with the school he's leading.

Minnesota?

You can't really blame them for beating the teams they were better than and losing to the teams they were worse than.

Can't really compare Rhoads to Fry. Underlying situations are too different. Could have compared Mac to Fry, but the Clones let the media chase him out of town. That and you have a friggen idiot as an AD.

Minnesota?

You can't really blame them for beating the teams they were better than and losing to the teams they were worse than.

Can't really compare Rhoads to Fry. Underlying situations are too different. Could have compared Mac to Fry, but the Clones let the media chase him out of town. That and you have a friggen idiot as an AD.

I've said that as well about Fry/Mac. Rhoads may be more of ISU's Kirk. Iowa was downright lousy for a couple years at the end of Fry's tenure and the beginning of KF's. So we can go with that. Paul Rhoads is ISU's Kirk Ferentz.

Latest posts