So whats the problem with this team

As Hunter S Thompson said in "Where the Buffalo Roam"..."I think third downs are going the tell the story in this one". Last year CJ Beathard made damn near every throw, every play with his feet, to keep the chains moving. This year, it's a vastly different story. Our time of possession is in the tank, and it's exposed weaknesses that haven't had time to be shored up yet (DL). Beathard making plays on third down won damn near every game last year...think about ISU, PITT, Indiana, etc. The only game he didn't was Nebraska. The offense has to get better on third down and move the chains. When they do our defense will also improve as we won't need to see them as much.

The good news...the offensive line looked vastly different yesterday than the week previous. Granted, it was Rutgers, but the run game (if Davis would have exploited it) could have been completely dominate. Improvements in pass protection should happen also. If this occurs, and CJ gets his swagger back, well...Iowa has a chance to be a very very tough out. Time is of the essence though. The Minnesota game is looming on the road as right now, I'd say that's a loss if we can't protect the QB and we can't improve on 3rd down. Minnesota appears to be able to run the football and Leidner has a boner for us.

Leidner is Minnesota's Steele Jantz. Superhero against Iowa, sucktitude elsewhere.

Greg Davis is the problem. He abandons the run game at the worst times, and thus puts us in pass-only situations.

The play-calling almost eliminates the opportunity for the play-action game.

In addition, it appears someone took CJBs "nuggets". His swagger is non-existent, and even his "usual" confidence hasn't seemed to be there much of the season to date.

The most glaring and perplexing thing was the NDSU QB reeling off but a 30-yard QB draw with the game in the balance. Mind-boggling at a minimum, could become alarming.

Greg Davis is the problem. He abandons the run game at the worst times, and thus puts us in pass-only situations.

The play-calling almost eliminates the opportunity for the play-action game.

In addition, it appears someone took CJBs "nuggets". His swagger is non-existent, and even his "usual" confidence hasn't seemed to be there much of the season to date.

The most glaring and perplexing thing was the NDSU QB reeling off but a 30-yard QB draw with the game in the balance. Mind-boggling at a minimum, could become alarming.

But wouldn't this ultimately be more of a KF problem. KF has the authority to call him out and/or fix things and ultimately has the ability to find another OC in the event he isn't satisfied with how things are done. It starts at the top of the organization. If an OC isn't getting it done it needs to be fixed or he needs to be replaced. I used to think of it as an OC problem, but if Davis truly is the issue the fault now lies in KF for failing to fix it.

But wouldn't this ultimately be more of a KF problem. KF has the authority to call him out and/or fix things and ultimately has the ability to find another OC in the event he isn't satisfied with how things are done. It starts at the top of the organization. If an OC isn't getting it done it needs to be fixed or he needs to be replaced. I used to think of it as an OC problem, but if Davis truly is the issue the fault now lies in KF for failing to fix it.

There are a lot of posters here who are very reluctant to criticize KF for some reason. My guess is that GD is doing what the coach wants. The 2 years prior to his arrival, the Hawks were what...15-11

Saddled in there were 2 losses to 3 win MN teams and a loss to ISU. That would make things 18-8 if they'd won those. Take way those 3 wins from those teams and the combined record is 8 wins over 3 seasons.

Yes, Greg Davis is the main problem. He may be a problem, but not the main problem. Why would a great competitive coach want inferior coordinators?

Very simply, KF recruits players who he is "comfortable" with.....thus, we will NEVER sniff a NC long as he is coach. You say that is unrealistic to ask of him? Ok, then quit paying him like coaches who do aspire to it.

Very simply, KF recruits players who he is "comfortable" with.....thus, we will NEVER sniff a NC long as he is coach. You say that is unrealistic to ask of him? Ok, then quit paying him like coaches who do aspire to it.

Define "sniff" a NC. Iowa was literally 1 play away from the college football playoffs last year. Personally I consider that "sniffing" a NC.

I don't disagree with this. KF is ultimately in charge, but I think the KOK offense was more fitting for what Iowa is. As JD said in his podcast, give me the QB waggle, the crossing routes, the play action passes. Run the ball to set up the pass, not this crap GD does where he tries to come out passing to set up other things???

But he's a great coach!

------Define "sniff" a NC. Iowa was literally 1 play away from the college football playoffs last year. Personally I consider that "sniffing" a NC.

That is laughable!!! We played a TERRIBLE schedule which allowed us to look decent against Michigan St. who then went on to get drilled!!! Then we get drilled by a team that nobody considered as being elite. We are a team that used smoke and mirrors occasionally to trick the general public....only to piss down their leg when the real nut cutting time comes against a real program.

First our wide receivers cant get open. Scheme or ability? IMO its mostly the scheme.
Second our offensive line especially tackles have been bad. Some thought this might be one of our best. Not the case so far. This is an area that could get better
Third our defensive line isnt as good as I thought it would be. Outside linebackers havent been too good either

Still think we have 2 good running backs and Im not ready to quit on Beathard. Pass protection has to improve a lot or its going to be a long year

Of all things our punter has been great along with kickoffs. Not so sure about Field Goal kicker as Ferentz looks to be unsure about trying one
Overall really a disappointment so far. "of course its always good to trounce the Clones"
Why does everyone always assume that if the QB doesn't 'hit' a WR that 'they' couldn't get open?

As Hunter S Thompson said in "Where the Buffalo Roam"..."I think third downs are going the tell the story in this one". Last year CJ Beathard made damn near every throw, every play with his feet, to keep the chains moving. This year, it's a vastly different story. Our time of possession is in the tank, and it's exposed weaknesses that haven't had time to be shored up yet (DL). Beathard making plays on third down won damn near every game last year...think about ISU, PITT, Indiana, etc. The only game he didn't was Nebraska. The offense has to get better on third down and move the chains. When they do our defense will also improve as we won't need to see them as much.

The good news...the offensive line looked vastly different yesterday than the week previous. Granted, it was Rutgers, but the run game (if Davis would have exploited it) could have been completely dominate. Improvements in pass protection should happen also. If this occurs, and CJ gets his swagger back, well...Iowa has a chance to be a very very tough out. Time is of the essence though. The Minnesota game is looming on the road as right now, I'd say that's a loss if we can't protect the QB and we can't improve on 3rd down. Minnesota appears to be able to run the football and Leidner has a boner for us.
You really don't know anything about football, do you??? Or your memory is quite creative. Not calling you names, but your 'perception' of things is just not right.........

------Define "sniff" a NC. Iowa was literally 1 play away from the college football playoffs last year. Personally I consider that "sniffing" a NC.

That is laughable!!! We played a TERRIBLE schedule which allowed us to look decent against Michigan St. who then went on to get drilled!!! Then we get drilled by a team that nobody considered as being elite. We are a team that used smoke and mirrors occasionally to trick the general public....only to piss down their leg when the real nut cutting time comes against a real program.
Then find someone else to be a 'fan' of...Why would you waste your time with this incompetent, worthless team???

As of today I think we are averaging around 8 wins per year with GD. Without even looking it up I bet that's about the same as KOK.

The success or failure isn't because of the coordinators - or QBs - or weight room - or the stadium turf - or the refs - or the weather - or the fans - or any of that nonsense.

The head coach selects his assistants; his players; probably has input into the schedule; he chooses the personality of the program whether it be conservative or riverboat gambler. He makes the tough decisions on game day.

It's all Kirk - it's always been Kirk - it always will be Kirk. He's the author of all our pleasure and pain.
I know, right??? So root for someone else...... Why would you make yourself miserable rooting for this loser team and coach????

I think it really boils down to one thing: Lack of talent.

And that is a vicious cycle that repeats itself and makes it very hard to put back to back years together with really good seasons and why we don't see it here often. Lack of talent really puts too much on the players who actually have it. When Iowa loses good players, even when they return great players, it really hurts the team.

This year's team really misses Drew Ott and T Smith. They don't have anyone to consistently get pressure of the QB and a guy who is a legit threat down the field. To make matters worse, those two guys should be on the team this year as RS SRs. Both had RS wasted late in the lost 2012 season. But Iowa needed them because of what? Lack of talent.

And once again, the cycle repeats itself. Iowa has probably burned RS on a WR and a DL that Iowa will probably miss in the 2020 season because instead of being mature, experienced RS SRs they will have used up their eligibility and Iowa will burn more RS on players that aren't ready to help them but are needed because of a lack of talent.

According to the geniuses here, we've NEVER had any talent, yet we win A LOT! But according to the same people, we have terrible coaching??? Something isn't right with this 'thinking'.......So how the hell do we ever win??? Easy schedules? Pitty?..........[/QUOTE]

Were we, or were we not 1 play away from the college football playoff?

Just because MSU got smoked by Alabama doesn't mean shat. That was a good MSU team that had just beaten 2 top 10 teams (OSU and Iowa). Oklahoma got smoked by Clemson, two years ago Oregon smoked FSU, and OSU smoked Oregon. It happens, it doesn't mean the teams that are there don't deserve to be there.....Same case for Iowa vs Stanford. Heck the eventual National champion OSU in '14 got smoked by a HORRIBLE Virginia Tech team. Bama lost a game in '11, '12 and '15 but won the NC each year.

If you know anything about college football at all, you understand that every year, every team has a less than stellar game, even the elite of the elite, the eventually National champions usually lay an egg a time or two during a season. Doesn't mean that they aren't good.

So once again, if you don't want to look like a huge freaking tool, don't say crap like that when we literally were just one play from the college football playoffs the year before.

Not sure how playing "a Terrible schedule" allowed us to look decent against MSU? Can you explain how that works? The schedule may not have been loaded with heavy hitters, but truthfully not many schedules are. Regardless of the schedule we still went undefeated in the regular season before losing to two very good teams.

I'm also a bit confused by the contradiction regarding your "smoke and mirrors" and "then pissing it down their legs" statement. Just my opinion, but if they "tricked" the general public into being a contender then how would they have "pissed it away"? If they were nothing more than pretender than I wouldn't expect them to piss anything away because based on the "pretender" logic they weren't good enough to compete with the big dogs anyway. In my opinion the way you worded it makes it sound like your saying we were the better team and wet the bed against inferior opponents. I simply don't believe that an inferior opponent is capable of "pissing it down their leg" when they go into the game as an obvious underdog and shouldn't be in the game to begin with.

I understand the frustration but I think you're being a little harsh. Our OOC was respectable last year (unlike this year) and we played our schedule and won. If we had thrown downfield more against the Spartans I feel we win that game. But we played conservative and that cost us the game IMO.

The Rose Bowl was a bummer but last year was special.

Not sure how playing "a Terrible schedule" allowed us to look decent against MSU? Can you explain how that works? The schedule may not have been loaded with heavy hitters, but truthfully not many schedules are. Regardless of the schedule we still went undefeated in the regular season before losing to two very good teams.

I'm also a bit confused by the contradiction regarding your "smoke and mirrors" and "then pissing it down their legs" statement. Just my opinion, but if they "tricked" the general public into being a contender then how would they have "pissed it away"? If they were nothing more than pretender than I wouldn't expect them to piss anything away because based on the "pretender" logic they weren't good enough to compete with the big dogs anyway. In my opinion the way you worded it makes it sound like your saying we were the better team and wet the bed against inferior opponents. I simply don't believe that an inferior opponent is capable of "pissing it down their leg" when they go into the game as an obvious underdog and shouldn't be in the game to begin with.

As Hawk fan, I loved the game, but not the outcome. People not fans of either team would have thought both offenses put football back about 90 years. We saw great defenses. Others saw inept offenses. Judging by January scores playing 2 different conferences..... it's hard to make a case for great defenses.

I love shootouts and high scoring games, but that was one of the greatest defensive battles I can remember. For what was at stake and the two teams involved you knew it was going to come down to defense winning a championship for one team or the other. Given, it was by no means two offensive juggernauts playing that day.

Latest posts