So What is your Expectation for Iowa Basketball?

As a beer-swilling prole, it doesn't matter to the powers that be as to what I want. Now if I were a major donor, worth way more than a couple billion $ I'd want a coach who could get the guards he's sorely lacking. I'd want nothing short of Ronnie Lester 2.0 and a team that could play defense from November to April. I say April because deep tournament runs would be expected on a regular basis. I'd strive to be another Kansas.

True, but we play some tough teams early and its not like every B1G team struggles like we do EVERY season. Sure teams go through their ups in downs different seasons, but when they have good teams, they do not fall apart like we do late in the season.
We haven’t played PSU or Nebraska yet...home games against teams at or near the bottom of the standings. We have MSU Saturday. If we want to sweep them this is the year.

OSU and Indiana are unfavorable matchups for us. I think Wisconsin is a favorable matchup. If we’re going to sweep them this is the year. Just my opinion...

True, but we play some tough teams early and its not like every B1G team struggles like we do EVERY season. Sure teams go through their ups in downs different seasons, but when they have good teams, they do not fall apart like we do late in the season.
We did play some tough teams early. We also had CJ then.

I'm just saying, playing in a conference like the B1G has that effect on a whole lot of teams, not just Iowa. They fade down the stretch because that's when they are playing their toughest competition. Basically the entire conference season is like playing 1 NCAA team after another. Towards the back half, teams are injured, teams are scouted, every team knows them better than they know themselves. If you take a look at most teams in the conference over the last decade, I would imagine most of them have declining records down the stretch. That's just kind of the college game in general. I am not making excuses for Iowa. F that - win games, I don't care about that. But, it's also pretty easy to diagnose. Teams don't play as well when they are playing other teams that are as good or NCAA worthy. I was hoping that was different for Iowa this season, so far it's not been... .but hey, they have 8 games and a conference tournament that they could still turn it around and that would actually be really impressive considering what we know about the schedule.
And we’re missing CJ. We’re deep and that’s why we lost 3 games by 5 points or less without him. But the conference is so tough this year we need our best shooter on the floor.

Side Note - I hope someone does a stat comparison of Garza’s numbers with CJ and without CJ.

Fran has to recruit speed to go with the length. Our poor defense is rooted in speed and quickness. If he can't see ya later.

We haven’t played PSU or Nebraska yet...home games against teams at or near the bottom of the standings. We have MSU Saturday. If we want to sweep them this is the year.

OSU and Indiana are unfavorable matchups for us. I think Wisconsin is a favorable matchup. If we’re going to sweep them this is the year. Just my opinion...

Love your optimism. I really appreciate it. But those seem like losses to me. All of them. And you will see an outcoached team in every game.

You honestly don’t think we’re going to win another game...including Nebraska?

Im skeptical. We are shooting like shit and not guarding anyone. One payer on the other team ALWAYS goes off on us. So no, I have no confidence in this team right now. I hope CJ comes back and makes a difference. But how this team is playing and being coached I dont see another win.

Im skeptical. We are shooting like shit and not guarding anyone. One payer on the other team ALWAYS goes off on us. So no, I have no confidence in this team right now. I hope CJ comes back and makes a difference. But how this team is playing and being coached I dont see another win.
Sorry. You’re not being the least bit objective and have no credibility if you’re honestly saying we’re going to lose every game.

I will wager a lifetime ban from HN that we win another game. I’m more objective than most. But what you’re suggesting is ludicrous.

Sorry. You’re not being the least bit objective and have no credibility if you’re honestly saying we’re going to lose every game.

I will wager a lifetime ban from HN that we win another game. I’m more objective than most. But what you’re suggesting is ludicrous.

I wont wager that because I love the game threads.

But I will wager $20 to the steadman childrens hospital foundation or whatever the charity is.

We lose twice to Indiana, I dont see us winning again.

BUT will you give me the CJ out? If CJ comes back I say we win 2 more. So what Im wagering is if CJ comes back we only win 2.. If CJ comes back and we win 3 you win or if CJ does not come back and we win 1 you win.

That fair?

CJ is supposedly playing tomorrow but has an injury that isn't going away this year. That probably means he isn't going to be very good the rest of the year.

And not winning another game is crazy talk right now. That would be 1 out of our last 13 games. We would be one of the worst teams in the country to do that.

Not sure if you have been paying attention to this team. I know I am exaggerating what will happen, but it wouldnt surprise me. Our schedule is not easy and we are playing terrible.

What we see now, is what we have seen over and over and over. I don't expect a deep run into any tournament. This team is flacid. They lose their nerve, they suddenly can't shoot, they choke. And Fran does not add value after 8 minutes to go in the game. If you told me some day that Fran had a drinking problem and needed to get sober, I would believe you.
Shooter Flatch had a major drinking problem and it didn't seem to hinder his coaching too much when coach Dale got tossed.

I wont wager that because I love the game threads.

But I will wager $20 to the steadman childrens hospital foundation or whatever the charity is.

We lose twice to Indiana, I dont see us winning again.

BUT will you give me the CJ out? If CJ comes back I say we win 2 more. So what Im wagering is if CJ comes back we only win 2.. If CJ comes back and we win 3 you win or if CJ does not come back and we win 1 you win.

That fair?
It’s a bet. I trust you to make the $20 donation to the charity of your choice. I have 2 charities in a particular I give to on a regular basis, I will donate an extra $100 to one of the 2 if you win. You had me at charity...

Not sure if you have been paying attention to this team. I know I am exaggerating what will happen, but it wouldnt surprise me. Our schedule is not easy and we are playing terrible.
Illinois and Ohio state are both top 5 now and we barely lost them with both teams going all out. They looked far from terrible in those 2 games. They haven't played great basketball in a month tho.

If Iowa was in Des Moines it would be Wisconsin, thank god its not. Having went to both schools I can assure you my experience at the U of Iowa was way more intimate, fun and with more lifelong friends and colleagues. Having a college in a state capital with a hundred concrete govt buildings, is not exactly beautiful. And if you think the weather in IC, sucks, which it does, drop the average temp by 15, double the annual snowfall, and increase the wind by 10 mph when in Mad City.

Sitting around bored trying to survive the frigid weather so I thought i would post something. Decided to use the 10 years + that Fran has been at Iowa to determine what is the standard we should expect from Iowa basketball. So here goes

McCaffrey is 207-149. Has finished the year 2 times ranked 25th in the AP poll

Big Ten Record
10-11 10TH
11-12 7TH
12-13 6TH
13-14 6TH
14-15 3RD tied with 3 teams
15-16 3rd tied with 3 teams
16-17 5th tied with 4 teams
17-18 11th
18-19 6th
19-20 5th tied with 4 teams
20-21 6th current
Didn't include Big Ten Tournament records which were not pretty

NCAA In the tournament 4 times (if you count a play in game)
NCAA Record 3-4 (no sweet 16s)

So if Fran was to retire tomorrow (which he isn't) and you were interviewing for a new coach would you be OK with another 10 years like this?

I have no expectations, except ferocity and maximum effort. This team needs to start playing harder on the defensive end, including rebounding. If they lose but give maximum effort, I'm happy as can be.

When you see Ferentz football teams, you see EFFORT. Easy to be proud of those teams. Iowa basketball? Not so much.

Latest posts