So What is Good enough at Iowa?

That secret scrimmage sure was secret. I cant find anything on it. I saw one thing where Evelyn did really well. Thata all I've seen.

I always chuckle when I read stuff like this because it’s honestly so laughable to compare Fran and KF, but people still try and do it. Lmao dumb!!

Furthermore many people had Iowa a NCAA tournament last year people it was expected! So not sure I’m following the rabbit out of a hat comparison.

Go back and reread my post, and then comment. I said the last decade or so of KF's tenure. Basically 2010 through now. What has KF really accomplished in that time? Not a lot. But, chuckle away if you want.

The first 10 years or so of his tenure are clearly better than anything Fran has done. No arguing that.

As for the rabbit out of the hat from last year.. The previous year was a 19 loss season. You're kidding yourself if you think all of us thought for sure that Iowa would get back to the dance last year. I definitely had my doubts, and a lot of others were predicting doom and gloom.

Go back and reread my post, and then comment. I said the last decade or so of KF's tenure. Basically 2010 through now. What has KF really accomplished in that time?

The first 10 years or so of his tenure are clearly better than anything Fran has done, but those types of results are a thing of the past. You know it, and I know it.

in 2015 KF had the single best regular season in school history and Iowa's only undefeated regular season in 100 years or so. Literally the THING that every college football team covets every season but yeah, nothing really of note.

in 2015 KF had the single best regular season in school history and Iowa's only undefeated regular season in 100 years or so. Literally the THING that every college football team covets every season but yeah, nothing really of note.

Against one of the easiest schedules you can ever hope for. No Michigan, OSU, PSU, etc. And got absolutely destroyed in the Rose Bowl. No Big 10 title, no playoff. Fun season, but it was fool's gold.

Anyway, my post was more about Fran than KF, but suffice to say I haven't been jumping up and down about 2010's Iowa football. Ditto for Iowa hoops. That's my main point.

Last edited:
Against one of the easiest schedules you can ever hope for. No Michigan, OSU, PSU, etc. And got absolutely destroyed in the Rose Bowl. No Big 10 title, no playoff. Fun season, but it was fool's gold.

Anyway, my post was more about Fran than KF, but suffice to say I haven't been jumping up and down about 2010's Iowa football. Ditto for Iowa hoops. That's my main point.

and I get that point... but Iowa played two top 25 road games that year. They had played tough and easy schedules in those 100 years and NEVER done it before. It was an accomplishment that had never been done at Iowa and likely won't be done again any time soon. I don't understand why it's so hard for fans to honor that. Yes, they lost by a yard in the CCG and yes, they lost the Rose Bowl..... but that is literally one of the greatest seasons in school HISTORY and people love to just gloss over it..... it's LITERALLY the type of season we lace up for EVERY year and it's an outlier season .... literally the outlier season when you look at 100 years of scores.

and I get that point... but Iowa played two top 25 road games that year. They had played tough and easy schedules in those 100 years and NEVER done it before. It was an accomplishment that had never been done at Iowa and likely won't be done again any time soon. I don't understand why it's so hard for fans to honor that. Yes, they lost by a yard in the CCG and yes, they lost the Rose Bowl..... but that is literally one of the greatest seasons in school HISTORY and people love to just gloss over it..... it's LITERALLY the type of season we lace up for EVERY year and it's an outlier season .... literally the outlier season when you look at 100 years of scores.

Oh I hear ya, and I absolutely give Iowa and KF credit for starting 12-0 that year easy schedule or not. They did a good job. Like you said, other years, they have fallen flat regardless of the schedule.

I didn't intend to start a KF/Fran debate. I was basically just pointing out that Fran got us back to the tournament last year and a hair away from the Sweet 16 when people may not have been expecting it. KF also got us a hair away from a B10 title and the playoff in '15 without any of us seeing that coming, either. Both coaches had been getting there share of heat from the fan base coming into those seasons, too. There was also a 4-8 football season in there which about the equivalent of Iowa hoops 2 years ago. Both programs bounced back. So comparing 2010's Iowa football and hoops seemed like a relatively decent comp to me, at the time I typed it.

If you want to say the '15 football season trumps last year's basketball season, that's fair. I'm looking beyond just the one season, though. I'm not saying everyone else does or should feel that way. That's just how it feels to me.

Oh I hear ya, and I absolutely give Iowa and KF credit for starting 12-0 that year easy schedule or not. They did a good job. Like you said, other years, they have fallen flat regardless of the schedule.

I didn't intend to start a KF/Fran debate. I was basically just pointing out that Fran got us back to the tournament last year and a hair away from the Sweet 16 when people may not have been expecting it. KF also got us a hair away from a B10 title and the playoff in '15 without any of us seeing that coming, either. Both coaches had been getting there share of heat from the fan base coming into those seasons, too. There was also a 4-8 football season in there which about the equivalent of Iowa hoops 2 years ago. Both programs bounced back. So comparing 2010's Iowa football and hoops seemed like a relatively decent comp to me, at the time I typed it.

If you want to say the '15 football season trumps last year's basketball season, that's fair. I'm looking beyond just the one season, though. I'm not saying everyone else does or should feel that way. That's just how it feels to me.

I gotta agree that the last 10 years have been very similar in both sports.

I get what you are saying and I am not really debating ya. Just more trying to show things from a broader scope. You are entitled to your opinion and I actually do see the parallels you are making over the last 10.

But

Fran hasn't had nearly the success that Kirk has had IMO and it's not even close.....But that's just me. I mean, last year was only 1 of 15 seasons that Iowa has won 9 or more games in it's school history. Think about that. Only 15 other times in 120 years has Iowa won 9 or more games in a season and last year was one of them. We think that's a ho hum season and KF is "average" ....but let's get real, out the 15 times Iowa has won 9 or more games in it's 120 year school history, KF has been the coach of 7 of those teams. Is that good enough? It probably is big picture.

Same with Fran. Since 1999 - Iowa has been to 7 NCAA tournaments. 7 of them in 20 years time. The current coach has been 4 out of the last 6. That's "good enough" if you're Iowa. It just is.

Both programs at this point have room to improve. This would be a great season to get it going in football by putting together a great game plan against Wisconsin.

I get what you are saying and I am not really debating ya. Just more trying to show things from a broader scope. You are entitled to your opinion and I actually do see the parallels you are making over the last 10.

But

Fran hasn't had nearly the success that Kirk has had IMO and it's not even close.....But that's just me. I mean, last year was only 1 of 15 seasons that Iowa has won 9 or more games in it's school history. Think about that. Only 15 other times in 120 years has Iowa won 9 or more games in a season and last year was one of them. We think that's a ho hum season and KF is "average" ....but let's get real, out the 15 times Iowa has won 9 or more games in it's 120 year school history, KF has been the coach of 7 of those teams. Is that good enough? It probably is big picture.

Same with Fran. Since 1999 - Iowa has been to 7 NCAA tournaments. 7 of them in 20 years time. The current coach has been 4 out of the last 6. That's "good enough" if you're Iowa. It just is.

You make good points. There's no doubt that KF has gotten a lot done in these 21 years, particularly when you bring the 2000's into the picture. More than Fran has done. His body of work is still overall pretty darned solid even if 2002-04 type success isn't the norm these days. Would I like the offense to be better, and be 8-0 instead of 6-2? Of course. But I've always said that 8-4 is my minimum regular season goal. We usually get there. It gets a little frustrating sometimes not getting beyond that too often but that's the nature of being a sports fan I guess. Hopefully we can get to that 9-10 win level again. Do that and I'll call this season a pretty nice success. All things considered, I've been satisfied with the program.

Ok, this suddenly turned into a football discussion. :) Back to basketball..

All that said, I also don't think Fran should be in any danger of losing his job, either. Start missing the NCAA Tournament again and my tune will change, but based on what he's done so far... No. So bottom line, I agree with you. Fran just needs to avoid regressing from what he's done the past 5-6 years or so. Hopefully he can build on it and break through to a Sweet 16 or beyond one of these years.

And 4 out of 6.. That's roughly Tom Davis level. I assume most view that as "good enough". I know that I do.

But

Back in the old days they didn't even play 9 games in a season so that needs factored in too.

Back in the old days they didn't even play 9 games in a season so that needs factored in too.

true dat... so since about 1945 or so. it's weird, they played 11 games in like 1903 - and that was actually one of those 9 win years. It still paints the picture that 9 win seasons at Iowa are nothing to take for granted (even though we now do)

One week away.
It will be great to watch an Iowa team that actually excels at offense— like it’s fun to watch.

Hawks will be at or near top of B1G in scoring again, especially with JBO.
If our guards can stay in front of other guards this year (a problem the last two years) my expectations will go up.

Non con schedule is really loaded, but could help come March.

That secret scrimmage sure was secret. I cant find anything on it. I saw one thing where Evelyn did really well. Thata all I've seen.
Where is the swamp like leaking of scrimmage details anyways? Somebody’s gotta have something.

I have some memories of playing Illinois State in a four team tournament in OKC the 1987-88 season.

• Matt Taphorn capped off a late comeback with a late three pointer with about ten seconds to go. His son just played for jNW, was part of their NCAA team.
  • Oklahoma players were running around bragging that we lost because we wanted no part of playing them the next night (Oklahoma was averaging 115 points per game and would eventually play in a memorable NCAA championship game against Kansas). This was, remember, the same Oklahoma team that Kevin Gamble had knocked out of the NCAA's the previous spring.
  • Illinois State had a guard named Jeff Harris from Indianapolis who was a rival of Iowa's Jeff Moe in high school. There were reportedly a couple incidents between them in high school that Moe did anything but downplay when asked about them.