So what about next year?

I expect us to be competitive. B1G or Nat'l champs? No, but competitive.

It all starts with Weezy and does he come back? He did play well down the stretch but is he going to be drafterd? I don't think so. Is he going to make an MBA roster? No, I don't think so. When does his fiance finish her eligibility? It makes sense to me that he comes back. If he does, it will be his team, his team to lead, like Luka the last two years and Cook's the year before that.

It wouldn't bother me to see CMac dedicate himself to baseball going forward. I know, not likely to happen when your dad's the coach. But, if he can't score he's a liability.

No matter what JW does, I can see Keegan emerging next year in a big way, he has the all around game. He could be our next all american.

Remember we have scholarship issues if we were to try and bring in a transfer. But if we were to do so, I'd bring in a center. Collins maybe? Foster but he wouldn't be ready. I'm sure there will be come bigs looking for their shot. Plus I expect we'll see a stronger, well conditioned Ogundele after having plenty of time in strength and conditioning.

So, I see Joe T and Ulis battling it out at the point, may the best PG win but both should play a lot.

We need to get CJ healthy, whatever it is ailing his leg. If he's OK, he'll battle with Perkins at the 2 although JW can play here as well plus we can't forget Payton Sandfort coming in. So both the 2 and 3 should be in good hands.

With Kris and Keegan plus PMac we should be good to go in the front court.

I don't see why this can't be a pretty good team.

With Joe W, they are easily in, without him they are a bubble team. I personally think Iowa will be at the worst a bubble team through the rest of Fran's time at Iowa. Clearly I'm only one of few posters who think that but I do. I feel like he's got us at this level (routinely making the dance), now we need to take the next step. It's not easy and it's about draw. I expect Fran to continue to produce all conference 1st team level players every year as well....mostly because he has.

Why not? He has zero chance of getting drafted.
Agreed. But other places play for pay= G. League, Europe, China etc... Why risk a permanent injury with another year in college for a team/coach that will never win a conference championship, let alone a natty. The Euro's/Dollars are calling.

Time to move on.
Starters Murray was good this year and has to be a starter next year. Fredricks really struggled second half but likely starter. From there ?
Guards: Toussaint Perkins, Uhlis,McCaffrey who knows none are really sure bets
Forward McCaffrey probably starts
Post Nunge if he can com back Ogundele not likely
Wieskamp obviously in starting five if he comes back

Has all the makings of an 8th or 9th place team
Raid the transfer portal!

I think we have to assume Weezy is leaving until we hear otherwise. That moves PMac into a starting role, and the result being a 4-out, 1-in style offense that we've had the past few years, minus the outside shooting ability of JBo and Weezy, but with better defense provided by PG Toussaint. PMac has shown a unique ability to drive into the lane and elevate. I really think the offense will look very similar, which is why Fran already likes next year's team -- he won't have to make any significant adjustments. The key need is to bring in a big man that can help right away -- Nunge's body can't be counted on to hold up, and I don't think The Big O as our backup is the answer. Gotta get a proven D-1 Center in the portal -- and if you can't get one this year following Garza's dominance, Fran will never get one.

I think we have to assume Weezy is leaving until we hear otherwise. That moves PMac into a starting role, and the result being a 4-out, 1-in style offense that we've had the past few years, minus the outside shooting ability of JBo and Weezy, but with better defense provided by PG Toussaint. PMac has shown a unique ability to drive into the lane and elevate. I really think the offense will look very similar, which is why Fran already likes next year's team -- he won't have to make any significant adjustments. The key need is to bring in a big man that can help right away -- Nunge's body can't be counted on to hold up, and I don't think The Big O as our backup is the answer. Gotta get a proven D-1 Center in the portal -- and if you can't get one this year following Garza's dominance, Fran will never get one.
You are suggesting that our scoring will go down, but so will our points given up on defense.

Keegan Murray is an up and coming star for Iowa. For me the biggest question is if Nunge can get himself back to 100% and then stay healthy the entire season. Iowa needs a plan B for the center position.

Next years team won’t be as good as this one but the drop off won’t be huge. I think this is a upper half Big Ten team at minimum.

Keegan Murray is an up and coming star for Iowa. For me the biggest question is if Nunge can get himself back to 100% and then stay healthy the entire season. Iowa needs a plan B for the center position.

Next years team won’t be as good as this one but the drop off won’t be huge. I think this is a upper half Big Ten team at minimum.
A lot depends on all the other teams= who they lose and what level of talent they bring in.