So much for Oregon

Meh, pretty standard contract and extension in regards to coaching contracts. Contracts are signed to be broken. If something were to go south, they can move away from Fran pretty easily and if they are going to start losing more money, they will. Iowa did a deal with Fran that they were very very comfortable with. I know that because Iowa is in financial ruin right at the moment and this is ultimately a profession about dollars and cents. If Fran can continue to put a great product on the floor, the longer runs will come, the better draws will happen and Iowa will continue to progress as a program.

Look, I get it, you didn't like them extending Fran. But, look at reality man. Iowa has been to 5 sweet 16's in 41 years. Are we sure this is a Fran thing? 2 Elite 8's in 41 years. Are we sure this is on the coach? No regular season championship in 41 years. Is it the coaching or is it the job? I kind of feel like it's the job. It's not for everyone. Fran was an out of region coach who was tasked with turning a dumpster fire around. He's had some gains, but it's not been nearly high enough for me either, but I also understand the complexity that is Iowa basketball.
It is probably a lot of things. Bowlsby, Barta, Alford, and LIckliter sure did not help the cause. That is where I point the arrows the most.

No the point is that even if they were hurt how does that account for poor defense over all the years that Fran has been here.

Hurt or not Iowa defense has always been very questionable at best. So when people use injuries as an excuse, I have trouble wanting to accept that as an excuse given past history of weak defenses. It comes with the territory.
Fran had some pretty good defensive teams during the Woody years. Either way, I fail to see your point. Even if we are a bad defensive team this year, doesn't injuries make us worse than bad? Was bad good enough to beat Oregon? We know terrible wasn't good enough. Maybe without injuries we could have been somewhere between below average to bad. Maybe that would be good enough.

This isn't an excuse and I don't know that it would have mattered AT all...but there could be something about OR just having fresher legs... I mean, they had 2 covid pauses and didn't even have to play their first round game to advance. I don't care, cause themz the breaks and you deal with em and you win or lose....but it's absolutely horse shit and absolutely unprecedented how that kind of happened.
I think we adapted and overcame Nunge. But losing CJ and Connor was too much...in addition to the other factors being discussed.

Last edited:
I couldn’t believe it as it seemed like our guards were standing in cement. Over and over and over again their guards would easily penetrate through our first wave of defense and easily drive toward the basket pulling our forwards out which allowed a lot of close up shots or stuffs by their post players, or it would lead to passes back out to the perimeter for wide open shots.

I am also not buying this injury nonsense. So have our guards been injured since Fran was hired as Iowa’s head coach? Talk about bad luck. Injured guards through the entire tenure of our head coach’s career. What a tough break. PLEASE???? Just stop it with the BS. Fran’s teams suck on defense.
Stop with the generalizations BS. This team committed to playing D starting in early February...analytics confirm this. This year’s team didn’t suck when it mattered until 2 of our starters just couldn’t go anymore.

No the point is that even if they were hurt how does that account for poor defense over all the years that Fran has been here.

Hurt or not Iowa defense has always been very questionable at best. So when people use injuries as an excuse, I have trouble wanting to accept that as an excuse given past history of weak defenses. It comes with the territory.
We have a history of not having the National POY. So we dismiss Garza from the conversation because our players historically aren’t that good?

We have a history of not having the National POY. So we dismiss Garza from the conversation because our players historically aren’t that good?

Great offense but off the charts on defense.