So much for Oregon

longtimer

SC played Zone all the time I watched and really throttled Oregon. I was listening to Dolphin during our match with Oregon (which is a challenge) and Hansen kept saying we need to come out with a tough Man. No way Iowa has a chance in that game unless we play Zone. I thought when we did we played better. Not that our Zone is great but just way to slow to play a team like Oregon man to man. Just another example of coaching

The reason why Iowa needed to switch to man is because they were shooting out of their minds. But it didn’t matter which defense they played, go man and every out of control floater was going in, play zone and they’d drain 3’s.

The reason why Iowa needed to switch to man is because they were shooting out of their minds. But it didn’t matter which defense they played, go man and every out of control floater was going in, play zone and they’d drain 3’s.
Man you ain't a kiddin on out of control floaters. It was ridiculous.

This isn't an excuse and I don't know that it would have mattered AT all...but there could be something about OR just having fresher legs... I mean, they had 2 covid pauses and didn't even have to play their first round game to advance. I don't care, cause themz the breaks and you deal with em and you win or lose....but it's absolutely horse shit and absolutely unprecedented how that kind of happened.

This isn't an excuse and I don't know that it would have mattered AT all...but there could be something about OR just having fresher legs... I mean, they had 2 covid pauses and didn't even have to play their first round game to advance. I don't care, cause themz the breaks and you deal with em and you win or lose....but it's absolutely horse shit and absolutely unprecedented how that kind of happened.
And only to us thus far. Like the one pot hole in the road, and the Hawkeyes find it.

The last month, month and half of the season they dropped from 130th in adjD to 50th because they went primarily man to man. Their 2-3 zone basically sucked this year. Conner and CJ not being healthy was a factor, how big of a factor is debatable.

After the last 2 games the adjD slipped into the 70's. You could tell there were problems in the GCU game.

The last month, month and half of the season they dropped from 130th in adjD to 50th because they went primarily man to man. Their 2-3 zone basically sucked this year. Conner and CJ not being healthy was a factor, how big of a factor is debatable.

After the last 2 games the adjD slipped into the 70's. You could tell there were problems in the GCU game.

yeah defense against GCU was also bad... defense regressed at the worse possible time.

I couldn’t believe it as it seemed like our guards were standing in cement. Over and over and over again their guards would easily penetrate through our first wave of defense and easily drive toward the basket pulling our forwards out which allowed a lot of close up shots or stuffs by their post players, or it would lead to passes back out to the perimeter for wide open shots.

I am also not buying this injury nonsense. So have our guards been injured since Fran was hired as Iowa’s head coach? Talk about bad luck. Injured guards through the entire tenure of our head coach’s career. What a tough break. PLEASE???? Just stop it with the BS. Fran’s teams suck on defense.

And only to us thus far. Like the one pot hole in the road, and the Hawkeyes find it.
yeah, such a F'd up deal and just adds to the misery of being an Iowa basketball fan. I don't think that fact was discussed a whole lot after the fact and trust me, I don't think it should have been. Iowa was the higher seed and should have been able to handle OR....but something about it and how bad it was never really makes me think that it helped them. Fresh legs are a thing in sports. That said, it's not the excuse I am using, we just aren't good enough and we need to be better. That said, that was totally fucked IMO.

yeah, such a F'd up deal and just adds to the misery of being an Iowa basketball fan. I don't think that fact was discussed a whole lot after the fact and trust me, I don't think it should have been. Iowa was the higher seed and should have been able to handle OR....but something about it and how bad it was never really makes me think that it helped them. Fresh legs are a thing in sports. That said, it's not the excuse I am using, we just aren't good enough and we need to be better. That said, that was totally fucked IMO.
I totally agree. Although, like you said, a 2 should be able to handle a 7.....the fact that they got to skate by without a first round game, got to game plan early for Iowa, and got a very favorable time slot as opposed to Iowa's rest time from their first game......was an unfavorable disadvantage for Iowa.

They should have allowed for a replacement team and delayed Iowa's game until later that day, the next day, or the day after. They should have had a different policy on how replacement teams work and not just cut off at such and such a date like they did. If anything, they could have put names in a hat from defeated teams and allowed Oregon to have a first round opponent.

To the boot, they were a major regular season conference champion.

For Iowa being rewarded with "2" they did not get the luxury most 2s get to have in that spot.

I couldn’t believe it as it seemed like our guards were standing in cement. Over and over and over again their guards would easily penetrate through our first wave of defense and easily drive toward the basket pulling our forwards out which allowed a lot of close up shots or stuffs by their post players, or it would lead to passes back out to the perimeter for wide open shots.

I am also not buying this injury nonsense. So have our guards been injured since Fran was hired as Iowa’s head coach? Talk about bad luck. Injured guards through the entire tenure of our head coach’s career. What a tough break. PLEASE???? Just stop it with the BS. Fran’s teams suck on defense.
Ya.....I did not completely buy that excuse by Fran either. Although, I suppose they could have pulled something trying to chase the Oregon players around. JW came down on his foot funny. CJ did have the injury from earlier in the year.

But, it did seem that excuse was covering for them some for poor play.

And, if it was the case they were injured all this time, then shame on Fran for not starting his bench players who were not injured.

So when you say you aren't buying the injury nonsense, do you mean you aren't buying that they were hurt or you aren't buying that the injuries affected their play?

I totally agree. Although, like you said, a 2 should be able to handle a 7.....the fact that they got to skate by without a first round game, got to game plan early for Iowa, and got a very favorable time slot as opposed to Iowa's rest time from their first game......was an unfavorable disadvantage for Iowa.

They should have allowed for a replacement team and delayed Iowa's game until later that day, the next day, or the day after. They should have had a different policy on how replacement teams work and not just cut off at such and such a date like they did. If anything, they could have put names in a hat from defeated teams and allowed Oregon to have a first round opponent.

To the boot, they were a major regular season conference champion.

For Iowa being rewarded with "2" they did not get the luxury most 2s get to have in that spot.
It really is all about Matchups. I would have rather been a 5 seed like Creighton who got UCSB and then Ohio to get to the sweet 16. There were definitely easier paths, but Iowa was likely always to bow out sooner than later with the 1 dimensional guards we play. This is why, IMO, this isn't Fran's ceiling. This was just a culmination of several good recruits all coming together at the same time. I think Iowa has athletic guards on it's roster as we speak, I also think that the combo of Murray and Patrick can be a way more dynamic scoring option next season as well as Iowa should immediately be a way better defensive club moving forward. As good as Jordan and Luka were, they really hurt Iowa on the defensive side of the ball. IMO, we're a long ways away from seeing what Iowa's ceiling is with Fran. He develops talent, that talent imo has, IMO increased as the program has aged. I expect that same progress as we move forward.

So when you say you aren't buying the injury nonsense, do you mean you aren't buying that they were hurt or you aren't buying that the injuries affected their play?
No the point is that even if they were hurt how does that account for poor defense over all the years that Fran has been here.

Hurt or not Iowa defense has always been very questionable at best. So when people use injuries as an excuse, I have trouble wanting to accept that as an excuse given past history of weak defenses. It comes with the territory.

It really is all about Matchups. I would have rather been a 5 seed like Creighton who got UCSB and then Ohio to get to the sweet 16. There were definitely easier paths, but Iowa was likely always to bow out sooner than later with the 1 dimensional guards we play. This is why, IMO, this isn't Fran's ceiling. This was just a culmination of several good recruits all coming together at the same time. I think Iowa has athletic guards on it's roster as we speak, I also think that the combo of Murray and Patrick can be a way more dynamic scoring option next season as well as Iowa should immediately be a way better defensive club moving forward. As good as Jordan and Luka were, they really hurt Iowa on the defensive side of the ball. IMO, we're a long ways away from seeing what Iowa's ceiling is with Fran. He develops talent, that talent imo has, IMO increased as the program has aged. I expect that same progress as we move forward.
I hope your right because he is here quite awhile.

I hope your right because he is here quite awhile.
Meh, pretty standard contract and extension in regards to coaching contracts. Contracts are signed to be broken. If something were to go south, they can move away from Fran pretty easily and if they are going to start losing more money, they will. Iowa did a deal with Fran that they were very very comfortable with. I know that because Iowa is in financial ruin right at the moment and this is ultimately a profession about dollars and cents. If Fran can continue to put a great product on the floor, the longer runs will come, the better draws will happen and Iowa will continue to progress as a program.

Look, I get it, you didn't like them extending Fran. But, look at reality man. Iowa has been to 5 sweet 16's in 41 years. Are we sure this is a Fran thing? 2 Elite 8's in 41 years. Are we sure this is on the coach? No regular season championship in 41 years. Is it the coaching or is it the job? I kind of feel like it's the job. It's not for everyone. Fran was an out of region coach who was tasked with turning a dumpster fire around. He's had some gains, but it's not been nearly high enough for me either, but I also understand the complexity that is Iowa basketball.