So do we have a chance Friday?

It's not just the 11-0 vs 5-6, its also the 5-0 vs 1-4 against common opponents that makes me extremely confident about tomorrow.

It's not just the 11-0 vs 5-6, its also the 5-0 vs 1-4 against common opponents that makes me extremely confident about tomorrow.

It would have to make you feel good, but I don't think the records matter much once this thing kicks off. There are some great story lines on both sides that are going to be running underneath this game. The Huskers have put 2 good games together and then had the benefit of a bye week to try to get a bit more healthy, haven't won 3 in a row yet this season and have possibly turned the corner and should be able to play loose as there is really only pride on the line. Will the bye week help or hurt? Will the distractions from last week be an issue with focus? The Hawkeyes have been the model of consistency, been in plenty of close games so aren't going to flinch, but now have the burden of playing to a national audience with the #3 / #4 ranking so you have to wonder if they will be a little tight. Will they try too hard to shut the critics up and preserve the perfect season or will they just play relaxed knowing they are in the CCG regardless? These games have been good so I would expect the same tomorrow. I think a fast start benefits Nebraska more than it does Iowa though so it will be interesting to see who gets out of the gate first.

I don't think Nebraska is going to fold. They are playing for bowl eligibility. I think it will be much like last week versus Purdue. They will gamble and go for it a lot on 4th downs. Probably some trick plays and special teams risks taken. They have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

I believe that it is kNU that has everything to lose. THEY need to become bowl eligible so that they can have the extra 15 practices. THEIR fan base will revolt if the mighty kNU doesn't go to a bowl game. THEY MUST win tomorrow.

Iowa will either: 1) Be in the Playoff, 2) Go to the Rose Bowl, or, 3) Be in one of the 6 Bowl Games. The ONLY thing Iowa MUST do is exact revenge by using last years loss and Shawn Eichort's derogatory comments towards Iowa as extra motivation to go 4-0 in trophy games in 2015. Iowa will be relaxed and confident and looking to punch kNU in the nutz.

Why does the great and powerful little red care so much about a crap December bowl? I don't get that being motivation.

Nebraska fans think their in a bowl anyway at 5-7 since apparently there aren't enough 6-6 or better teams. Playing us is better than a bowl for them though. They'll probably get somebody like Toledo in a bowl game.

It would have to make you feel good, but I don't think the records matter much once this thing kicks off. There are some great story lines on both sides that are going to be running underneath this game. The Huskers have put 2 good games together and then had the benefit of a bye week to try to get a bit more healthy, haven't won 3 in a row yet this season and have possibly turned the corner and should be able to play loose as there is really only pride on the line. Will the bye week help or hurt? Will the distractions from last week be an issue with focus? The Hawkeyes have been the model of consistency, been in plenty of close games so aren't going to flinch, but now have the burden of playing to a national audience with the #3 / #4 ranking so you have to wonder if they will be a little tight. Will they try too hard to shut the critics up and preserve the perfect season or will they just play relaxed knowing they are in the CCG regardless? These games have been good so I would expect the same tomorrow. I think a fast start benefits Nebraska more than it does Iowa though so it will be interesting to see who gets out of the gate first.

Nebraska played two good games, huh? We've played eleven.

Nebraska played two good games, huh? We've played eleven.

Sorry if that was what you took away from my post. I wasn't in any way comparing the accomplishments, to do so would be foolish. My point about the Huskers putting 2 good games together was merely an indication that they may have turned the corner and if so, could be another factor in this game. It's certainly also possible that they have not and will have another game full of mistakes and if that's the case, I would expect Iowa to have very little problem. I still think it will be a good, hard fought game and they will both come out of it knowing that they were there.

Sorry if that was what you took away from my post. I wasn't in any way comparing the accomplishments, to do so would be foolish. My point about the Huskers putting 2 good games together was merely an indication that they may have turned the corner and if so, could be another factor in this game. It's certainly also possible that they have not and will have another game full of mistakes and if that's the case, I would expect Iowa to have very little problem. I still think it will be a good, hard fought game and they will both come out of it knowing that they were there.

I think it will be an epic game but I also believe that most of the intangibles favor Iowa. Nebraska may be turning the corner but we are still the better team who has far more to fight for and far more to lose if we fail. I also believe we've been far more focused and consistent and that won't change tomorrow. CJ has a better arm, better vision and better leadership. Wins and losses mean nothing on the field but they are still a valid means to show a team's ability to finish games. I believe that the only way the Hawks lose tomorrow is if they completely lay an egg.

Hunter 74 that you?

Hunter 74 that you?
No, not the same.

Hawk10k, I agree with you and if both teams play like they did for the majority of the season, then it should end up the way you want. I'm just really interested to see how both teams handle it. It all depends on how each team reacts. As a fan, I really hope both teams come out laser focused and give us a great 4 quarter game.

For the sake of motivation alone it's a border rivalry; just like Minny, Wisky & Illanoy. Both teams no matter what the records want to win if for nothing other than bragging rights. I don't see Nebby as having improved over last year while Iowa is light-years ahead of what they were 12 months ago.

Latest posts