Snyder, Hooker, and the two tackles

uihawk82

The hawks miss them, maybe miss Ike and Boone's leadership on the line. It was not like Purdue got a ton of yards against the hawks but they got just enough big plays throughout the game to keep Iowa out of short field position and those two quick TD drives.

Any chance they get to play in remaining games? Which ones might be back next year besides Hooker?

Snyder really is not that good either. He's a little better than Gervase, but Gervase and Snyder neither one would play for another B1G team at safety. This is a Purdue team that got beat by Rutgers, and they pushed us around. Not acceptable no matter who was playing.

Snyder really is not that good either. He's a little better than Gervase, but Gervase and Snyder neither one would play for another B1G team at safety. This is a Purdue team that got beat by Rutgers, and they pushed us around. Not acceptable no matter who was playing.

I would respectfully disagree with your statement regarding Snyder.

I would respectfully disagree with your statement regarding Snyder.
As would I. He started last year rough and finished great. Plus, the safety play against Purdue wasn't the problem, it was getting burned in man coverage.

I think i would side with caddy. Snyder struggled covering deep the past 2 and has only played 1 game this season. Hooker has been better than both BS and JG at fs. Hooker is gonna be a real good one.
True, he's only played one game, but his experience is valuable. Definitely agree on Hooker, easily the best safety we have on the roster period.

I am not sure if Snyder can play anymore but I thought the last two years he could have played a lot of Bowers snaps as he was probably better in coverage and still a pretty stout guy.

We could use another Kirksey type fast 225 pounder on the outside of the Lbkr corps.

We could use another Kirksey type fast 225 pounder on the outside of the Lbkr corps.
So Ben Niemann? OLB was Kirksey's role, Niemann's spot, and they ask him to do a lot of the same things. He's not quite the athlete Kirksey was, nor does he stuff the stat sheet, but he does a lot of good out there.

As for the future, I think Colbert, or even Ben's younger brother, Nick, are in the pipeline for OLB.

So Ben Niemann? OLB was Kirksey's role, Niemann's spot, and they ask him to do a lot of the same things. He's not quite the athlete Kirksey was, nor does he stuff the stat sheet, but he does a lot of good out there.

As for the future, I think Colbert, or even Ben's younger brother, Nick, are in the pipeline for OLB.

Niemann has better speed than Bower and is just a little larger rangier frame. I was mainly thinking Bower could have been replaced on passing downs quite often the last few years by a faster corner who has a bigger frame for a corner to reach around TEs and other receivers or replaced by a really good cover safety.

Niemann has better speed than Bower and is just a little larger rangier frame. I was mainly thinking Bower could have been replaced on passing downs quite often the last few years by a faster corner who has a bigger frame for a corner to reach around TEs and other receivers or replaced by a really good cover safety.
Ah I see. Not that I disagree with you, but I think they try to keep the Will in the box as much as possible (maybe to make up for Bower's lack of speed?), letting typical LB bodies handle that position.

I'd say Jones and Mends are the type of athlete you're thinking of, albeit a little shorter. Maybe when one of them gets the starting nod next year, we'll see what better athleticism can do there.

Iowa was missing 4 starters but Purdue was missing 7 starters:QB, 2 OTs, 1 OG, 1 TE, 1 CB, and 1 S. Plus their back-up quarter back left the game after only playing 3-4 downs and this player was also their 2nd string WR. So the Hawks were in better shape than the Boilers.

I think i would side with caddy. Snyder struggled covering deep the past 2 and has only played 1 game this season. Hooker has been better than both BS and JG at fs. Hooker is gonna be a real good one.

I completely agree with you regarding Hooker. However we would be best off if hooker and Snyder where are starting safeties. The fact that Snyder hasn’t played much at all this year means that this team is down one of the top two safeties. And if neither Snyder nor Hooker is playing, then we are down our top two safeties.

Latest posts