Smile for a while and let's be jolly...

Teddy

Last season Iowa won 8 games including a bowl game, so not a bad season, frustrating but not bad. The Hawks kicked off last year with what, a 2FG performance by the offense against a Div 1 AA program.

This year Iowa defeated a Division I program and scored three offensive touchdowns and a FG. The offense showed a willingness to go deep and did so successfully. You cannot say that about this time last year. The OL showed pretty good pass blocking. USU had a sack but either All or Large missed that block. The pocket was usually clean. The QB showed he could handle pressure with pocket mobility on the few plays someone got near McNamara. That combination is a huge improvement over last year.

The run blocking was poor but probably still better than last year. If I recall correctly, and I didn't record the game, the A and B gaps on the left side were a special problem. Someone's timing is off and that's fixable, usually.

Didn't the offensive reserves play out the 4th quarter. All that improvement in just three quarters. Last year it was a nail biter against a D1AA team.

Two plays away from a ten-win season last year, on possessions that started inside the opponent's 20 in just two games last season. The schedule is easier and the offense is much better than same time last season. There's a reason to be optimistic. So, smile for a while and let's be jolly, winning football shouldn't be so melancholy.