Small Ball

NikeHawk21

If Iowa plays small with four guards around Garza they can compete. We have shooters, we have an elite post player. We will have to live with some contested twos and some offensive rebounds, but we can be a very tough team to defend. Wieskamp and McCaffery can try to defend smaller fours. The key is a healthy Jbo though.

Great win tonight.

This is just a different team. We have a team full of guys who at least want to try on defense. Huge difference. We will have games where we lose because we shoot bad and have games we win because we shoot good. We will also have games where the other team is on fire and roll us like DePaul did. We are pretty much like every other team except a handful of great teams and a handful of really bad teams where you can win or lose pretty much any night. I predict a 6 seed.

If Iowa plays small with four guards around Garza they can compete. We have shooters, we have an elite post player. We will have to live with some contested twos and some offensive rebounds, but we can be a very tough team to defend. Wieskamp and McCaffery can try to defend smaller fours. The key is a healthy Jbo though.

Great win tonight.
I agree that the small ball strategy will work if Bohannon plays. I also think a healthy PMac could help us as I view him as more of a tall guard than a forward.

Kept thinking as we were playing small ball.... damn it’d be nice to still have Moss as another elite outside shooter

Kept thinking as we were playing small ball.... damn it’d be nice to still have Moss as another elite outside shooter

Bohannon, Moss, CK, Wieskamp, and , and Garza in a pretty damn good lineup. Then again, Bohannon and Moss in at the same time is a recipe for bad defense.

The problem with Moss was you only got the benefit of that shooting once every five or six games. He'd go off for 25 one night and then totally disappear for two weeks.
Spot on !
I'd much rather have CJ vs Moss simply because Moss was a roller-coaster, never seemed like the players nor coaches could count on him at clutch-time.

There's no way I thought this team could defend, mmm....eating my words after Thanksgiving dinner is tough. I saw tonight a game plan, execution on defense, and guys committed to playing it. Nice change! Only guys standing around tonight were the players on the bench. Garza, what can you say? A warrior!. Clutch shooting and Pemsl and Troussant off the bench playing tough. The only drawback I saw tonight was two points that are not great shooters. That may come around but both guys do other things. As long as JBo can play point with the ball in his hands at the end of games it doesn't matter that much. If JBo took off his shirt I bet he has a tattoo with the word "Clutch". I hope this isn't an anomaly and the Depaul game was.

I can also see Pemsl and Kreiner improving throughout the year as the season progresses. I really hate to say this but, maybe Nunge’s injury could be a blessing in disguise, not only by forcing Kreiner and Pemsl into getting better, but also for our front court depth in future seasons.

Small ball would require some guys logging heavy minutes you would hope guys wouldn’t hit a wall by February.

I can also see Pemsl and Kreiner improving throughout the year as the season progresses. I really hate to say this but, maybe Nunge’s injury could be a blessing in disguise, not only by forcing Kreiner and Pemsl into getting better, but also for our front court depth in future seasons.

Sometimes Fran needs situation to develop to help him out. Having Garza and Nunge/Kriener on the floor at the same time is detrimental. 90% of college basketball is now a PG, 3 wings and 1 big on the floor. We aren't really quick anyway, but asking a big to play a wing all the time on has always killed us defensively. I think we can get away with having Garza and Pemsl on the floor has he does have some more foot speed then a Kriener and Nunge.

Plus giving Garza room down low with 4 perimeter plays is gonna open him up for big games. Teams decide to double and he can kick out to a wide open guy who can shoot.

Spot on !
I'd much rather have CJ vs Moss simply because Moss was a roller-coaster, never seemed like the players nor coaches could count on him at clutch-time.

CJ has been pretty damn impressive in a lot of ways. Really good passer, not afraid to take someone off the dribble, plays really solid D, sees the floor well. Just a very cerebral guy. On top of that, he may have a sweeter stroke than Jordan. If I’m Fran CJ has the green light behind the arc as much as Jordan does.

The problem with Moss was you only got the benefit of that shooting once every five or six games. He'd go off for 25 one night and then totally disappear for two weeks.

I do get that but Moss also didn't have a chance to play small ball with having both Cook and Garza on the floor.

Connor really impressed me last night. I like his leadership, his defense, his toughness, his passing... just don't shoot 3's.:p

This is just a different team. We have a team full of guys who at least want to try on defense. Huge difference. We will have games where we lose because we shoot bad and have games we win because we shoot good. We will also have games where the other team is on fire and roll us like DePaul did. We are pretty much like every other team except a handful of great teams and a handful of really bad teams where you can win or lose pretty much any night. I predict a 6 seed.
Did I see Garza protect them rim a few times? We haven’t seen that at all the last two seasons, but would be huge for us, especially without Jack. Pemsl is actually decent at that too when he gets his body in position. I like CJF on defense and if Connor is guarding 3s and 4s I think he’s a decent defender. I like Toussaint’s defense on the perimeter although I though he reached a little bit too much last night.

CJ reminds me of several guards who played for WI. Good, solid D, tough, decent shooter, understands the game, etc. Hope we can recruit more like him.

Agreed. I think CJ Frederick is an elite shooter though. He's played 6 college games...and he's shown if you leave him open...he'll bury it. The fact that he's got 4 years of three balls ahead of him...I'm not saying he will catch Bohannon's record...but I think he will be number two on the 3 point field goals made. Bold prediction...but this kids mechanics are crazy good. That catch and shoot at the end of the clock in a big, big moment last night was really impressive.

Latest posts