Slowly but surely, Peter Jok is improving on defense

glidinghawk

I noticed that Fran had Jok guarding Maryland's best player, Dez Wells, when Iowa opened up Sunday's game with their man-to-man. I thought Jok did quite well on D -- in all the schemes. Wells was very frustrated and he didn't get many shot attempts, and I think Jok had a lot to do with it.

I think Jok will have his whole game together on both ends next year and will have a shot at first-team All B1G as a senior.

No denying he has improved a great deal since last year and even earlier this year.

Still a ways to go but he isn't a liability anymore.

Defense can only improve with game mins. He's been getting more of those.

He's pretty quick on offensive end. That'll transfer to d-end eventually.

Right now Jok is closing on shooters better than almost anyone on the Iowa team, Gesell and Clemmens are literally in the shirts of the guys they are guarding. Maryland's guards were not liking it. Wells and the freshman point guard were using their elbows to clear a path unfortunately the refs didn't call any offensive fouls but that doesn't take away the excellent job they were doing. Jok is really working well in the zone as his speed is helping him close on shooters and his height and shot blocking ability has been making opposing shooters think twice about pulling the trigger.

I want to see Jok go on a terror one game. Just once, soon. If Jok is feeling it, have Fran give him the green light to attack and shoot at will. score 20 some points. Enough that he has the spotlight and will remain noticeable for the scouting reports to need an extra defender, or at least the eyes of the other players. That can only help our ball movement on offense for the remainder of the year.

Still do not think he will be a great, on-the-ball, lockdown defender. He has occasional issues with footwork and he lacks lateral quickness.

And before everyone starts ripping on me; he does have a pretty good size wingspan, so he can get into passing lanes, deflect passes and effective running out on shooters. The light bulb is starting to come on as far as going over/under on ball screens. As long as he is average to above average on D and can stroke the J on offense I am good.

One thing that I was very happy to see was actually in the Michigan game. There were multiple times where Jok was calling for the ball and looked upset that he didn't get it. There have been many times where all I wanted was a shooter on the floor who wanted the ball and the shot. Too often in the past our offense has looked like they were playing hot potato. Now, Jok is hitting that nice two dribble to the side and pop jumper. His game is coming...

My thinking is the same as it has been for weeks. The keys to our season and post season are Uthoff and Jok. Those are the 2 guys our opponents can't guard IMO. I believe there are different schemes and game plans to stop every other Iowa player but not Uthoff and Jok. When they have it going on offense they are better than the defense and will get their points. As an added bonus Uthoff is very good on defense and Jok is decent.

I figured his defense would get better the farther away he gets from the knee injury. Lateral movement is one of the last things to come back after a major knee injury. Its very encouraging.