Skins draft Cousins too = smart, dumb, or no big deal?

The fact he's a HT winner means nothing. HT winners routinely fall in the draft if NFL execs don't think they can play in the league.

They only took RGIII because he is the HT winner and he was there. Does anyone think he'll be an effective NFL QB? Redskins would have been ridiculed as stupid for not taking him, realizing full well that he is not NFL quality. Thus, the backup plan. Simple.
Wow, not sure about all that, but not saying he'll be a bust. Cam Newton is far worse than RGIII, but he's more than servicable in Carolina. I think RGIII will be a decent to pretty good QB, not great, but to call him horrible already is kind of funny. I like the cousins pick as well. never know could be the next Tom Brady.

Having seen Rex Grossman for a number of years now, and given how many chances he's had to excel, why wouldn't you take Cousins? Too me, this is a smart move by the usually inept Redskins.

The downside is that they have several other needs they could have addressed with that pick and instead they choose a backup QB.

This. If RG III works out he will never see the field, way more depth issues could have been solved at any other position. stupid move but it is the redskins so no surprise.

The downside is that they have several other needs they could have addressed with that pick and instead they choose a backup QB.
This. If RG III works out he will never see the field, way more depth issues could have been solved at any other position. stupid move but it is the redskins so no surprise.

lol way more depth issues could have been solved? with one pick? how does that work. a third round pick is probably no better than 50-50 to start as a rookie. its not like they traded multiple picks to get him.

lol way more depth issues could have been solved? with one pick? how does that work. a third round pick is probably no better than 50-50 to start as a rookie. its not like they traded multiple picks to get him.

its a great move. it maximizes the chances they found the qb of the future in this draft, and in the NFL you can't win without a qb. there is no downside to this at all. hes not going to seriously push RG3 so there's no issue there. if rg3 bombs you've got a backup plan. if RG3 plays well you've got a quality backup at a cheap price, and if cousins impresses as a backup he has trade value down the road (see kolb, cassel, and schuab). if they both bomb its not like you can't say they didn't try.

I agree, great move.

With RGIII playing style, he could easily suffer injuries. A quality backup is huge for the Washington. Plus with the NFL's compensation rules, even if the Redskins lose Cousins to FA in 4 years they'll still get a 4th-7th rd draft pick for him.

They could also go the route of Ron Wolf back when he was GM in GB. He drafted several QBs while Favre was a starter, had Holgrom develop them, and then traded them to other teams.

I agree, great move.

With RGIII playing style, he could easily suffer injuries. A quality backup is huge for the Washington. Plus with the NFL's compensation rules, even if the Redskins lose Cousins to FA in 4 years they'll still get a 4th-7th rd draft pick for him.

They could also go the route of Ron Wolf back when he was GM in GB. He drafted several QBs while Favre was a starter, had Holgrom develop them, and then traded them to other teams.

This was my thinking on it as well. On the surface it may be a questionable move. But looking a little deeper, it is not. Yes, they surely had other needs, but how many NFL teams needed to look to their #2 QB the past couple of seasons. Seemed like half the leaguehad the starter out for a period of time. You MUST have solid depth at QB these days. The time when your back up was sure to NEVER play a snap are over.

Let's say RG III plays great and lives up to his pick, they will have wasted a top 100 draft pick on a guy that won't do anything other than hold a clipboard. Any other position you are helping special teams at the very least and have a guy that would be more likely to see the field on a week by week basis as a back up, filling in for an injured guy for a week or two, filling in for a series, or being a personnel grouping sub (like a nickel or dime back)

no position is more important than qb in the NFL. at no other position is depth more important. back up linebackers and special team guys are literally dime a dozen. an insurance policy, especially at the draft value the skins got, at qb is critical. if RG3 pans out then they have a quality backup, and if he impresses as a backup (which they think he will or they wouldn't have drafted him) then they will get pics back when they trade him, or he signs elsewhere.

I feel like Cousins fell a bit further in the draft than most would have thought and was a great pick up for most teams at that point of the draft.

People will criticize because the Redskins already took RG3, but who says that the Redskins ever planned on drafting Cousins as a starter for their team? Did I miss something? Did they say he was competing for the starting spot?

I feel like they drafted him, because they know that one of the QBs drafted earlier on (by a team intending on drafting them as the starting QB) is going to be a bust and is not going to work out and is going to be looking for a QB down the road at some point. Now the Redskins have a QB that could be worth something when it comes to trading value and could pick up a pretty beneficial deal out of it.

Basically... I think they drafted him, because they feel that they will be able to trade him later on and get a pretty good deal out of it.

I could be wrong, but that is just how I see it.

Reports are coming out that the Redskins had Cousins 3rd on their QB board. That would put him ahead of 1st round picks Ryan Tannehill and Brandon Weeden.

I do not understand this move at all. These 2 QBs are not even in the same timezones concerning their abilities. IMO, a stupid move by the Redskins. If Cousins turns out to be the better QB then they wasted those picks they traded to move up. The ONLY logical explanation for this is there is a side deal going on with another team for Cousins.

Cousins takes over for RGIII when he gets hurt and leads Skins to OT vs Ravens. 2 point conversion was QB draw by Cousins.

Cousins takes over for RGIII when he gets hurt and leads Skins to OT vs Ravens. 2 point conversion was QB draw by Cousins.

Forgot the perfect throw over the outstretched arm of a defender for the TD to set up the 2 point conversion. I don't think he will ever take the starting job for Griffin but he is a solid backup. You will always know he is prepared and giving Griffin a brilliant football mind to bounce things off of.

Forgot the perfect throw over the outstretched arm of a defender for the TD to set up the 2 point conversion. I don't think he will ever take the starting job for Griffin but he is a solid backup. You will always know he is prepared and giving Griffin a brilliant football mind to bounce things off of.

Yep, that was a good throw by Cousins as well. Don't like the Skins winning, but this proves the move to draft Cousins paid off. You don't want Rex Grossman in there at that point. :)

I think dumb. But playing devils advocate, kind of a genius move if RG3 refuses to avoid taking hits. Almost like a insurance clause in the event RG3 continues to take a beating they have a backup that they actually desired and don't have to raid the market year after year to get a guy that won't be able to get the job done.

Latest posts