Six more wins to go!

No It isn't but after last year I'll take it smiling

I went into last year so optimistic and got burned badly. So I went into this year with my guard way up and expecting the worst
Enjoy the Ride. Next game a Win.Waay cool. Hawk Players tough and can get Tougher.

The minimum goal should be to finish in the top four. Making the tournament isn't the kind of success that we should settle for.

if all else remains the same and TC comes back healthy, i see a 12-8 B1G record. that'd be a 22-8 (plus B1G tourney) record. they'd be dancing for sure.

The Pitt win is looking better and better. ISU was a good win.

Des Moines would be great if somehow that happened. I can dream.

The fact that we didn't lose out of conference should help if we get on the line of in or out for tournament. Let's just keep winning and go to Des Moines.

Same, surprisingly Iowa has a 45% chance to beat michigan at home...at least according to ESPN FPI

tumblr_inline_mrn71d5jKD1qz4rgp.gif

Same, surprisingly Iowa has a 45% chance to beat michigan at home...at least according to ESPN FPI

It really shows how small the margin of error is. If undefeated Michigan only has a 55% chance of beating Iowa, how can people say we have no business losing to a team like Penn State? Especially without our best player.

Last edited:
It really shows how small the margin of error is. If undefeated Michigan only has a 45% chance of beating Iowa, how can people say we have no business losing to a team like Penn State? Especially without our best player.

giphy.gif

I thought McCaffery had a decent chance of being considered conference coach of the year until I watched the first five minutes of the game against Penn State. I wonder how many games Iowa would have to win from now on for him to win the award. Its a pretty big turnaround from last year so far.

I thought McCaffery had a decent chance of being considered conference coach of the year until I watched the first five minutes of the game against Penn State. I wonder how many games Iowa would have to win from now on for him to win the award. Its a pretty big turnaround from last year so far.

While I totally get what your saying, I've always considered awarding it based on the turn around from the previous year a slap in the face to those coaches that finish the season ahead of the pack. Not saying it isn't warranted or that he hasn't done a good job this year, but it's not a "comeback coach of the year" award. I just don't think its right to use a coaches failures the previous season as a tool to gauge success for the current season. I'll always be one to argue that the coach from one of the top teams in the conference should get it based off of what they've done throughout the course of that season.

Edit: I guess the counter argument to the "turnaround from the previous season" could be whether that good of a coach should have had that type of season the previous year if they were that good of a coach.

While I totally get what your saying, I've always considered awarding it based on the turn around from the previous year a slap in the face to those coaches that finish the season ahead of the pack. Not saying it isn't warranted or that he hasn't done a good job this year, but it's not a "comeback coach of the year" award. I just don't think its right to use a coaches failures the previous season as a tool to gauge success for the current season. I'll always be one to argue that the coach from one of the top teams in the conference should get it based off of what they've done throughout the course of that season.

Edit: I guess the counter argument to the "turnaround from the previous season" could be whether that good of a coach should have had that type of season the previous year if they were that good of a coach.

So not given to the coach that exceeds the preseason expectations the most unless they are one of the top teams?

While I totally get what your saying, I've always considered awarding it based on the turn around from the previous year a slap in the face to those coaches that finish the season ahead of the pack. Not saying it isn't warranted or that he hasn't done a good job this year, but it's not a "comeback coach of the year" award. I just don't think its right to use a coaches failures the previous season as tool to gauge success for the current season. I'll always be one to argue that the coach from one of the top teams in the conference should get it based off of what they've done throughout the course of that season.

You make a good point but the award kinda is a comeback coach of the year". Iowa was predicted to finish towards the bottom of the conference and if they finish towards the top (I'm thinking top 5), Fran is going to have a strong case for the award. To me the award should go to the coach that does more with the least amount of talent, in other words teams that perform above their talent level.

So not given to the coach that exceeds the preseason expectations the most unless they are one of the top teams?

But using that same line of thinking if we'd of performed better last season then we wouldn't have had the preseason expectations that we did.

Like I said I understand the argument, but IMO Coach of the Year should be the awarded to the best all-around coach in the nation or the conference. Regardless of the talent they bring in and put on the court. I'm by no means a Michigan or MSU fan, but I'd stand to say that if either of them win the conference Beilein or Izzo have done a better job than Fran this season when all is said and done.

But using that same line of thinking if we'd of performed better last season then we wouldn't have had the preseason expectations that we did.

Like I said I understand the argument, but IMO Coach of the Year should be the awarded to the best all-around coach in the nation or the conference. Regardless of the talent they bring in and put on the court. I'm by no means a Michigan or MSU fan, but I'd stand to say that if either of them win the conference Beilein or Izzo have done a better job than Fran this season when all is said and done.

I understand what you are getting at and kind of agree with you, especially when you bring up it should go to "the best all-around coach in the nation or the conference." and then mention "Regardless of the talent they bring in and put on the court.".

I disagree with where you are kind of contradicting yourself when previously stating it should go to a "coach from one of the top teams in the conference".

I tend to believe the award should go to the coach that does the most with what he has, whether that's delivering with better talent than most teams, overcoming diversity due to injuries/illness, or exceeding expectations the most. ie what coach prevailed the most given their circumstances.

Any guesses on how many wins it takes to get to play in Des Moines? 13-7? We would need to go 9-4 from here. Any chance. 12-8 would do it? How often do 4 seeds have 8 losses?
We could definitely go 12-8 and play in Des Moines. But we better win a couple BTT games. I think we are a lock at 13-7...may not even have to win a BTT game as the loss would likely be to a quality opponent. We will have a lot of Quadrant 1 wins at 13-7.

Any guesses on how many wins it takes to get to play in Des Moines? 13-7? We would need to go 9-4 from here. Any chance. 12-8 would do it? How often do 4 seeds have 8 losses?
I didn't do extensive research. I just looked at Michigan State over the last 20 (Izzo's) years. Michigan State has been a 1, 4, 3 and 4 with 8 or more losses.

I understand what you are getting at and kind of agree with you, especially when you bring up it should go to "the best all-around coach in the nation or the conference." and then mention "Regardless of the talent they bring in and put on the court.".

I disagree with where you are kind of contradicting yourself when previously stating it should go to a "coach from one of the top teams in the conference".

I tend to believe the award should go to the coach that does the most with what he has, whether that's delivering with better talent than most teams, overcoming diversity due to injuries/illness, or exceeding expectations the most. ie what coach prevailed the most given their circumstances.

Very valid argument and definitely see your point. I'd meant to say one of the best teams in the country and unintentionally typed conference so I definitely see the contradiction.

I just hate seeing hall of fame level coaches get over looked year in and year out because of the argument that "anyone could win with that talent", yet often fail to acknowledge that they've gotten the talent because they've been some of the best in the business for years.

This is a good thread but I want Iowa to give them Spartans some beatings that they deserve at home game. I am so sick of MSU giving us some beatings that we don't deserve. I can taste victory in Iowa City!
giphy.gif

The minimum goal should be to finish in the top four. Making the tournament isn't the kind of success that we should settle for.

Hard to believe, but with recent losses by the likes of Minn, Ind, Wisc et al, Iowa is currently alone in 5th place! Who'da thunk?

Latest posts