Sioux City Journal Cougill

JDavis11

Says Cal and Texas have contacted him and he's lost 15 pounds. Speraw has been up to watch him play as well. Hypothetically it could be interesting if you kick off Archie to make room for Cougill

I've always thought fans were a little harsh on him. If he continues to develop a post game with Stokes at KWood he could be a good contributor

Former Crusader, Hawkeye Cougill picking up the pieces

Saw him play at kirkwood a few weeks back, he still looks more like a football player to me. He did dominate the game though.

I'm not sure I would even want Cougill to lose weight. I would want him to build some muscle to battle down low in the Big 10. If he could build some muscle and keep his soft touch from the outside he could become a valuable player.

the problem is I don't see him running the floor at a D1 level. He'll be making a trip to Burlington in the next couple weeks to play Southeastern so I'll have the opportunity to eat crow, but I'm still not convinced he'll ever be a legitimate D1 player.

Please, no more Cougill threads...they make me cringe :D

Agreed. The program appears to be moving forward. That would indicate that Cougs should be left behind. If Fran can't score any better talent than a guard trapped in a Panda's body then we are in deep _____(fill in the blank).

wow, settle down guys. they haven't even offered him yet. you can freak out later if they do. its just the SC journal trying to show the kid a little love.

Some of you don't have a clue what you are talking about. Not a D1 talent? Please. He may not be an elite D1 talent but the kid has the size and skills to compete at the D1 level. He's a big body that can occupy space. He may not be able to sprint up and down the court for 40 minutes but he could do it in spurts. A top program doesn't have 5 players playing and the others watching from the bench, we need contributors.

Cougill averaged 4 pts and 3 boards while playing less than 15 minutes per game. Not big numbers but the kid contributed when he was in there. If his minutes could get to 25 per then you are probably looking at about 8 pts and 6 boards per game. Decent numbers for a 5 - not great but not bad either. Plus his size fills a void in the middle on D that we are currently missing.

Don't misinterpret my statements as mad love for Cougill but rather just pointing out that the kid can contribute at a D1 level in a position that we sorely need.

Last edited:
Wow you guys are optimistic :eek:

Who are you guys thinking we could get? Pitchford is an IU lean and I'd give us a 20% chance. Has anyone actually seen Olaseni play? He sounds very raw and probably wouldn't be a huge contributor his freshman year. Katenda is a 4 without a back to the basket game.

I doubt Fran is hiding magical 7' players who will immediately be a dominant force. A lot of teams need a big man and the JUCO players will have a lot of suitors.

Cougill would come in and have an immediate impact and could play up to 20-25 mpg. 14 and 9 are good juco numbers and he is clearly a D-I talent (come on even Idaho State, ULM, and SIU-Edwardsville all are D-I).

Obviously I would want somebody better than Cougill but there is a fairly decent chance that doesn't happen. This is why Woodbury is such a critical get because there just aren't that many good big men.

Cougill is a legit D1 player, I think he'd be fine in McCaffery's system. He won't be a superstar, but he can contribute.

If he's back at Iowa, that's cool. If not, Fran prob found someone else.

It's pretty obvious Cougs wants to be back at Iowa.

It would be nice to have a player taller than 5'11" on the court occasionally... (yes, I'm aware that we have guys taller than that, but it's still a small team)

What happened to the good ol' days of having a 7 footer or 2?

What Spanky said.

He's never going to be the quickest player, or the first one up and down the floor but to ignore the skills and abilities he does have is pretty silly. He has some outstanding skills for a big man, namely his shooting and passing. If he had the ability to run and jump we would be talking about his NBA future right now.

He obviously needs to improve his conditioning and his low post defense and it looks like he's doing that. I'll have no problems if he ends up a Hawkeye again.

We desperately need another big man for next season and it doesn't look too good on the recruiting front right now. Right now we are looking at Brommer and Archie at center for next year, which won't get it done in the Big10, although Brommer is playing better this year than in the past. Cougs would only be a two year scholarship investment, so if he doesn't pan out at least we aren't wasting a scholarship for four years. I think Cougs and Brommer splitting time at center 50/50 would work well, and keep Cougs from getting worn out.

There's too much obsession with the "running down the floor" skill. Acie Earl looked like a giraffe on rollerskates when he ran down the floor, but Iowa would love to have a player like him.

Latest posts