P Kornbrath SO
LS Kreiter SR
KR Cotton SR
KR Smith SO
PR to be determined as Hyde graduated,
there is alot to get excited about
6 4* on offense either starting or in the 2 deeps
1 4*starting and 3 4*'s as backups
this does not include players like Lomax, Fleming, Campbell, Buford, Gair, Lile and a couple others as DB's
these players are not walkon with very few 2* that are unproven like Weisman and Bullock

whats your problem, can't stand the outlook as it just shows that this program is in better shape than you care to admit

Star ratings are estimations of athletic potential over the current time period (HS Junior/Senior) to the point in which a player is an upper classmen in college. Why would anyone care what a 5 year old projection says when the reality is already in place?

I'm going to assume that this simple explanation of what star rankings are and why your proposed reasoning is completely useless is going to go over your head.

Is it just me or is that a pretty average compilation of stars? What do other big ten teams average for "stars"?

Stars arent the only thing that matters but I would wager if you compiled the data a team averaging 3 stars would be a 6 or 7 win team

Out of those 22 starters the total stars is 65...right at a 3 average

the problem is that in the past Iowa had 2*, 3* and walkons in the 2 deeps and KF Had 5 top 10 finishes with them, the 2005 class which was a top 10 class had a 7-5 season, 6-7 season and a 6-6 season their 1st 3 years in the program and they finished their Iowa career with what was left with a 9-4 top 10 season and a 11-2 OB win and another top 10 season.
the problem was Iowa was unable to sustain that kind of recruiting success with a 63rd ranked class in 2008 and a 53rd ranked recruitying class in 2009. both classes suffered major defection and injuries
this years senior class had 12 3*'s and 13 2*'s in it of the 3* player only Ferentz, JVB , Weinke, and Gimm remain
this what has hurt Iowa, the 2009 class had 2 4* recruits in Davis and Wegher with Wegher leaving bafter his freshman season.
there were just 5 3* players out of a total class of 20 players
of those 7 players 3* or higher both Davis and Wegher are gone
the 5 3* players only these 3 will have a chance to start
Boffeli, Rodgers and Cotton look to possibly start and the only one that I consider a lock is Rodger
with Clark and MacMillan backups. if you can't or won't see this I can't help you

Last edited:
I feel like during kf's tenure they have done better with low star kids with a chip on their shoulder. Each time they seem to get a big number of 4 star guys the seasons seem to tank. To me they are focusing too much on stars (like some fans) and not enough on the eye test and development. Early they focused on the eye test and development and gave the finger to the scouts that said their recruiting classes weren't very good. Then they would go out and prove them wrong. But now it is like they want to appease people and get higher star guys. Who cares what their stars are I want wins.

I feel like during kf's tenure they have done better with low star kids with a chip on their shoulder. Each time they seem to get a big number of 4 star guys the seasons seem to tank. To me they are focusing too much on stars (like some fans) and not enough on the eye test and development. Early they focused on the eye test and development and gave the finger to the scouts that said their recruiting classes weren't very good. Then they would go out and prove them wrong. But now it is like they want to appease people and get higher star guys. Who cares what their stars are I want wins.

Yeah, that's the problem, too many ready to play 4 star players with too much size, speed, and strength. WTF!

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that national championship teams from the last <infinity> years all recruit well.

the problem is that in the past Iowa had 2*, 3* and walkons in the 2 deeps and KF Had 5 top 10 finishes with them, the 2005 class which was a top 10 class had a 7-5 season, 6-7 season and a 6-6 season their 1st 3 years in the program and they finished their Iowa career with what was left with a 9-4 top 10 season and a 11-2 OB win and another top 10 season.
the problem was Iowa was unable to sustain that kind of recruiting success with a 63rd ranked class in 2008 and a 53rd ranked recruitying class in 2009. both classes suffered major defection and injuries
this years senior class had 12 3*'s and 13 2*'s in it of the 3* player only Ferentz, JVB , Weinke, and Gimm remain
this what has hurt Iowa, the 2009 class had 2 4* recruits in Davis and Wegher with Wegher leaving bafter his freshman season.
there were just 5 3* players out of a total class of 20 players
of those 7 players 3* or higher both Davis and Wegher are gone
the 5 3* players only these 3 will have a chance to start
Boffeli, Rodgers and Cotton look to possibly start and the only one that I consider a lock is Rodger
with Clark and MacMillan backups. if you can't or won't see this I can't help you

You are wrong at the beginning. KF has had four Top 10 finishes at Iowa. 2002,2003,2004 and 2009. Do you just pull random stats out of your butthole and hope people don't notice you are wrong?

whats your problem, can't stand the outlook as it just shows that this program is in better shape than you care to admit
Oh my yes, this program is in incredible shape for a team coming off a 2-6, Big 10 season plus losses to the clowns and central michigan school of snowshoeing!! The problem, is that your entire thesis is obsolete. Pssst...it's not so much the troops on the field as it is the incompetent general staff who has proven time after time they can't win with NFL level talent. Stars don't really matter when the guy calling the shots can't even manage the clock at the pee wee level.

Prepare yourself for this opening salvo vs. NIU is September: stretch right for 3 yards, stretch left for 2 yards, throw the widow maker 1 yard short of the LOS, 33 yard punt, NIU's highly mobile QB drives it in 7,8,9 yard chunks against the vaunted "bend don't break D." Oh wait, NIU is going to have a first year HC in 2013, and no rookie HC could ever hope to match up against the $4,000,000 man....'cept Chitzik, Ped State's guy, Fitz, Kill, etc etc etc......

I'm not sure with the information in the original post if I'm supposed to be happy about the future or depressed. I guess it depends on the expectations.

If 3 stars are average for BCS then Iowa should be average which should mean a 8-4 record due to playing NC against less than average teams and 4-4 in B1G. Then again we struggle against less than average. The other point is that this years class has little to do with next years success.

Oh my yes, this program is in incredible shape for a team coming off a 2-6, Big 10 season plus losses to the clowns and central michigan school of snowshoeing!! The problem, is that your entire thesis is obsolete. Pssst...it's not so much the troops on the field as it is the incompetent general staff who has proven time after time they can't win with NFL level talent. Stars don't really matter when the guy calling the shots can't even manage the clock at the pee wee level.

Prepare yourself for this opening salvo vs. NIU is September: stretch right for 3 yards, stretch left for 2 yards, throw the widow maker 1 yard short of the LOS, 33 yard punt, NIU's highly mobile QB drives it in 7,8,9 yard chunks against the vaunted "bend don't break D." Oh wait, NIU is going to have a first year HC in 2013, and no rookie HC could ever hope to match up against the $4,000,000 man....'cept Chitzik, Ped State's guy, Fitz, Kill, etc etc etc......

Can we cue the music and prepare for the "they're no threat their just a MAC school coming off an impressive season in which they played nobody to deserve all their wins"? They won the MAC last season and a great majority doubted the fact that they even belonged on the same field as us. Wonder what the mentality of the posters is for their returning players who will be coming off a BCS bowl.

Can we cue the music and prepare for the "they're no threat their just a MAC school coming off an impressive season in which they played nobody to deserve all their wins"? They won the MAC last season and a great majority doubted the fact that they even belonged on the same field as us. Wonder what the mentality of the posters is for their returning players who will be coming off a BCS bowl.
Well, when you compare the facilities and budgets availible to both teams and the fact coach A will be earning around $250,000/yr and coach B around $4,000,000/yr, you could see where some folks would get that impression?? Keep an eye on NIU's bowl game! ;)