Simone Biles

I got into this thread a little late but it seems you the OP posted some junk without knowing what the hell you are talking about. As if you have ever been a top athlete at the olympics.

I didn't see it as him necessarily posting junk about her, but rather pointing out the fact that there's a double standard. Often top male athletes are expected to play hurt (rather physically or mentally) and often get ridiculed if they don't or looked at as soft if they suffer something others have played through. I think in this case I agree with him that it was ironic that the media essentially gave her a free pass initially without really knowing what was wrong with her, and I don't think they'd do the same if it were a man that it happened to.

I got into this thread a little late but it seems you the OP posted some junk without knowing what the hell you are talking about. As if you have ever been a top athlete at the olympics.
As if anyone on this message board is. So does that discredit us from being able to talk about any of the sports we do just because of our lack of 1st hand experience at it at that level? You can have your 2 cents about it and I have mine.

I didn't see it as him necessarily posting junk about her, but rather pointing out the fact that there's a double standard. Often top male athletes are expected to play hurt (rather physically or mentally) and often get ridiculed if they don't or looked at as soft if they suffer something others have played through. I think in this case I agree with him that it was ironic that the media essentially gave her a free pass initially without really knowing what was wrong with her, and I don't think they'd do the same if it were a man that it happened to.
Free pass? Everyone knew she'd been a victim of Nasser. Generally speaking BB and FB players don't have to risk this from a mental distraction. Come on.

1628522779375.png

I don't see what the big deal is. I could face plant like that with full concentration. I don't even need anything to distract me whatsoever.

It's a huge deal. Comparing flips on a bar require precision landings is different than grabbing a rebound.

Free pass? Everyone knew she'd been a victim of Nasser. Generally speaking BB and FB players don't have to risk this from a mental distraction. Come on.

View attachment 7950
Do we know the yips came directly from being sexually assaulted? Stress related probably, but every athlete is stressed. I mean she wears a goat on the back of her outfit to symbolize her greatness. I'm not one to pretend I know anything about the yips, but even before they it was discovered what she was suffering from she was already being treated differently then she would have if she was a man that had just removed himself from competition for an undisclosed reason.

She's absolutely been through hell with the sexual assault and as I've said all along, I'm not coming after her. My issue has been how it was handled by the media and I reiterate that I question how/whether it would have been handled differently if she was a man.

Do we know the yips came directly from being sexually assaulted? Stress related probably, but every athlete is stressed. I mean she wears a goat on the back of her outfit to symbolize her greatness. I'm not one to pretend I know anything about the yips, but even before they it was discovered what she was suffering from she was already being treated differently then she would have if she was a man that had just removed himself from competition for an undisclosed reason.

She's absolutely been through hell with the sexual assault and as I've said all along, I'm not coming after her. My issue has been how it was handled by the media and I reiterate that I question how/whether it would have been handled differently if she was a man.
She said so, at least in part in conjunction with the death of a relative.

She said so, at least in part in conjunction with the death of a relative.
I was unaware of that so I stand corrected. But I still feel that for whatever reason, things were handled differently by the media the moment she withdrew from competition,

I was unaware of that so I stand corrected. But I still feel that for whatever reason, things were handled differently by the media the moment she withdrew from competition,
The world is different from what it was a few years ago, both good and bad. Just ask Andrew Cuomo and Larry Nassar. It's also a different sport. Most basketball players are not open about the past as well. I get it due to my own past. I don't expect everyone else to get it. Also, the gymnastics team was out there in the public. The Iowa Barnstormers situation didn't release names though I wouldn't be surprised if some names we now weren't involved.
Btw, alcoholism and personal relationship issues are common side effects. The best way I can describe what happens when triggered is a lot like the scene in the old Jumangi move with Robin Williams when the rhinos, elephant and other African animals come through the living room wall in the stampede. Then Williams gets mad and says, "why didn't you grab the game!" That's where the criticizers are. If you haven't seen it:

Last edited:

Latest posts