Simone Biles

Hawkfnntn

Anyone surprised about how her whole deal is being handled? Scottie Pippen says she quit. And I lean that way. To me that's just something an athlete can't do in a team sport. It put the team and especially the gal that had to replace her in a really bad situation. But nobody is talking about that part of it.

Folks are saying she's untouchable because of the abuse she'd received and ESPN won't dare bash a female minority as decorated as she is. So we have guys like Spencer Lee with his mindset (wrestling with no ACLs saying "Excuses are for Wusses) and then someone like her with that and I can't get down with it. I refuse to want to think it's ok to quit like that.

Well if anyone knows quitting, it's Pippen.

I don't think she quit. She clearly wasn't mentally in it. These athletes are under tremendous pressure, and the team is better off having 3 focused gymnasts competing, than a 4th throwing things off. If she felt she couldn't compete at her highest level and would be a detriment to the team, she did the right thing by excusing herself.

A couple of my thoughts:

1) When she dropped out of the team competition, I think some have said it was selfish, etc. Now that she's out of the individual competition, it's tough to make that argument.

2) She was a bit off for some reason. If any of the other gymnasts in the Olympics got, say, fifth, it's not a big deal. No one would really notice. If Simone got 5th, it's beneath her, and I only mean that as the truth, not to knock her at all. You see it all of the time when great athletes are near the end of their careers that they don't want to slip any further so they call it quits instead of being average. They don't have it in them to just be average.

3) I'm a math teacher. If I'm not 100% on top of my game on a given day, because something's on my mind, I'm sick, tired, rattled by a student, etc. not a big deal, I can still teach and be OK. At her level, if she's not 100%, it's a huge deal.

I don't think she quit. She clearly wasn't mentally in it. These athletes are under tremendous pressure, and the team is better off having 3 focused gymnasts competing, than a 4th throwing things off. If she felt she couldn't compete at her highest level and would be a detriment to the team, she did the right thing by excusing herself.
So the question is why? Due to the pressure? Literally everyone else over there competing has that. Or is there a mental issue of some sort above and beyond that? If it's just the pressure of the moment then I can't get down with calling her the GOAT or thinking it's ok to quit on your teamates just as you're about to go perform. That's not cool.

As far as the individual part of it goes yeah that's all on her and so what who cares but she put her team in a tough tough spot. I think IF it's just the pressure of the moment getting to her (which I don't see because she's a multiple time champ already it's not her first rodeo) then we need to toughen up our athletes geez. But if there's more there there with her mental issues then I hope she gets it figured out.

So the question is why? Due to the pressure? Literally everyone else over there competing has that. Or is there a mental issue of some sort above and beyond that? If it's just the pressure of the moment then I can't get down with calling her the GOAT or thinking it's ok to quit on your teamates just as you're about to go perform. That's not cool.

As far as the individual part of it goes yeah that's all on her and so what who cares but she put her team in a tough tough spot. I think IF it's just the pressure of the moment getting to her (which I don't see because she's a multiple time champ already it's not her first rodeo) then we need to toughen up our athletes geez. But if there's more there there with her mental issues then I hope she gets it figured out.

Interesting story about what is being used to explain it ...

Missy Marlowe, a retired American gymnast who took part in the 1988 Olympics, wrote on Twitter, "It's hard to explain the twisties to someone who doesn't do gymnastics, but it's a mental block and it's real. I had it happen twice, when I was 12 and 20. You cannot fix it quickly - can take months, if at all. It's like a non-serious stroke, you're [SIC] brain and body disconnect."

Interesting story about what is being used to explain it ...

Missy Marlowe, a retired American gymnast who took part in the 1988 Olympics, wrote on Twitter, "It's hard to explain the twisties to someone who doesn't do gymnastics, but it's a mental block and it's real. I had it happen twice, when I was 12 and 20. You cannot fix it quickly - can take months, if at all. It's like a non-serious stroke, you're [SIC] brain and body disconnect."
Hmm like the Chuck Knoblauch yips kinda thing?

I'll leave it at this. IF she does not return to participate in these games I'm totally fine with it, however if she turns a corner and comes back to compete I have issue with that. I'll never know what she's going through, but at the same time we have to hold her to the very same standards as we hold male athletes. Everyone deals with an incredible amount of pressure and most professional males would absolutely get hammered if they took a few days off to mentally regroup and then returned.

Especially being the "Goat" and wearing one on the back of her outfit. Lebron mentally checked out of a finals with the Mavs (which I'd put in the similar context as the Olympics) and still catches hell for it today. We talk about athletes choking all the time so think we have to hold her to the same standards. Whether physically or mentally unable to go it should be factored into how her career is viewed.

That said, from a mental health awareness side it brings a lot to the general public's eyes as to it how it affects people differently, how it can happen to anyone at anytime, and how it's not something we can visibly see.

3) I'm a math teacher. If I'm not 100% on top of my game on a given day, because something's on my mind, I'm sick, tired, rattled by a student, etc. not a big deal, I can still teach and be OK. At her level, if she's not 100%, it's a huge deal.

I disagree. Your job is 1000x more important than bread and circus shit. In teaching my boy math, I have noticed there are days he crushes problems like Albert Pujols parking a Brad Lidge meatball and there are some days where he is just "meh." The key is for me to crush it the day my boy is crushing it. Our country is in a substantial battle for intellectual talent against countries like India and China and dudes like you are critical cogs in that and 3/4ths or more of parents have no idea or simply do not give a solitary F.

Friday night I was at my neighbor's house crushing beers. I went inside to grab a brew out of the fridge and the neighbor's daughter and her boyfriend were working on some math program that the boyfriend has to finish before he starts college. This shit was things like "express 7/16ths as a decimal" and "3 5/8 - 1 13/16" and this kid had no fucking clue how to answer them. No clue. AND HE'S GOING TO FUCKING COLLEGE. Ugh.

Clearly along the way some teacher gave up on trying to teach that kid shit like least common denominator. My kid is five years old and I've already taught him how to do LCD for everything that has an LCD of 16 or less. The shiver down my spine when this kid who graduated high school a month ago was like "der, I don't know how to do that" was immense.

Another gymnast tried to explain by saying she got lost in the air. You are doing your vault and you are upside down and you don't know where you are. It can be very dangerous and you could end up landing on your head, possibly even you die.

After that explanation, I honestly still don't understand it, but that gymnast is insisting it is a real problem and it's very serious if it happens to you.

Another gymnast tried to explain by saying she got lost in the air. You are doing your vault and you are upside down and you don't know where you are. It can be very dangerous and you could end up landing on your head, possibly even you die.

After that explanation, I honestly still don't understand it, but that gymnast is insisting it is a real problem and it's very serious if it happens to you.

It is known as having the twisties. The way it has been explained to me is that it is equivalent to having the yips in baseball(think Mackey Sasser or depending on your age Steve Sax). Football comparison would be Jake Christensen bouncing passes to receivers because it is in his head so much he starts aiming the football instead of throwing it.

If you get a case of the twisties in gymnastics you can really F yourself up. I am talking serious damage injury wise. So I 100% get why she checked out. At first I was like you need to toughen up, but now I get it.

Sidenote: I hate how political this has gotten. Like everything else you have to pick a side no middle ground anywhere. Claims of a"woke" media trying to protect her versus the other side that has no compassion whatsoever. Suck it up buttercup type mentality. Those of us that are in the middle have no options to choose from.

Last edited:
She was sexually abused. The Olympic Committee tried to ignore it. The sport is precision and dangerous. It hit her. That's it.

She was sexually abused. The Olympic Committee tried to ignore it. The sport is precision and dangerous. It hit her. That's it.
Has it been decided that the reason she got the yips was because she was sexually abused?
Friendly reminder that this is in the Moderated OT sub...

Only say that because I can see this part of the discussion getting ugly and not necessarily just you two. You know what they say about an ounce of prevention or some shit...

No lines have been crossed so don't take it that way, but this is the "be nice" haven for OT. If it gets heated I trust you two as HN veterans to take it to OT Open like the gentlemen you are. Carry on...

Only say that because I can see this part of the discussion getting ugly and not necessarily just you two. You know what they say about an ounce of prevention or some shit...

No lines have been crossed so don't take it that way, but this is the "be nice" haven for OT. If it gets heated I trust you two as HN veterans to take it to OT Open like the gentlemen you are. Carry on...
Oh crap, didn't even notice. You're right. Gold, if you want to respond to my last post, do it in the other thread then.

RU profiling us?

We're fine.

Not sure how anyone can be in the middle of this though.

haha that is a good one, yes pippen quit, didnt he take his shoes off on the bench because he couldnt stand the pressure, told his coach he didnt want to be in on that late game play. F##K pippen

Anyone surprised about how her whole deal is being handled? Scottie Pippen says she quit. And I lean that way. To me that's just something an athlete can't do in a team sport. It put the team and especially the gal that had to replace her in a really bad situation. But nobody is talking about that part of it.

Folks are saying she's untouchable because of the abuse she'd received and ESPN won't dare bash a female minority as decorated as she is. So we have guys like Spencer Lee with his mindset (wrestling with no ACLs saying "Excuses are for Wusses) and then someone like her with that and I can't get down with it. I refuse to want to think it's ok to quit like that.

I got into this thread a little late but it seems you the OP posted some junk without knowing what the hell you are talking about. As if you have ever been a top athlete at the olympics.

Latest posts