Signing Day Thoughts?

I LOVE the way this staff recruits. I don't think we will ever have consistent top 20 classes in the eyes of the recruiting services. We typically don't sign enough players for one. The other reason is we don't go after guys, just because these services say they are good players.

Case in point is Canzeri. Even having KOK look at the tape says something really. Then showing it to Kirk, and offering soon after shows the confidence this staff has in it's abilities to trust what they see, and know what they can teach/develop. They didn't turn their backs and say, well this kid only has an offer from Villanova, so we aren't going to waste our time. Instead they look at the film and said "Why can't everyone else see what is obvious? This kid has tons of talent!"

This staff is really good at looking at kids and see what other staffs can't see. They are also patient enough to know that sometimes these kids won't be fully developed in Iowa's system until they are SO, or many times JR and SR. Many coaches and staff are not that patient, as they are looking for their next job, and need players to perform sooner. Typically when we have the Neilsen's, Reisners, Daniels, become starters they are solid. When the JR, and SR get their time, they are hungry, ready, and fundamentally sound. It is when we have to rely on kids that are FR, SO is when we have the growing pains many more times than not. They have not had years in the system to gain the fundamentals and strength to be AS effective. I say as effective, as that learning experience typically ends up making them some of the best by the time they are JR and SR. Like Morris this year, he struggled at times (esp in coverage), but I think going forward we are going to be set at the Mike position for 3 years now, and see some outstanding play from him!

All in all, I love the way the staff recruits, sees talent others don't, develop it, and watch it perform on the field. When I start thinking about Hawkeye football I can't help but sit back and be proud of what this staff, and players do! It's great to be a Hawkeye!!

I agree. But I also think this is why Iowa football is more likely to go 7-5 or 8-4 than 11-1 or 10-2.

We get good players, not necessarily the best. We'll usually be No. 2 or No. 3 in the B10 behind tOSU and more recently Wisky.

One thought through this years process it seems there is so much technology with facebook and twitter and whatever else is out there. I wonder how KF and company are going to adapt to these changes in media outlets especially directly form the players.

One thought through this years process it seems there is so much technology with facebook and twitter and whatever else is out there. I wonder how KF and company are going to adapt to these changes in media outlets especially directly form the players.

I heard Norm Parker was a beast on Twitter. Uses an iPhone no less. :rolleyes:

It looks like the younger guys on the staff are up on this stuff, short of having a hot looking assistant wear a short skirt in front of a live fax cam on signing day. Maybe a good question to ask KF at his next presser, whenever that is.

I really liked the way Eric Johnson was active on Twitter as the LOIs rolled in on signing day and had a blog ready to go with player bios and edited recruiting clips for each player. Looked at that all day.

I agree. But I also think this is why Iowa football is more likely to go 7-5 or 8-4 than 11-1 or 10-2.

We get good players, not necessarily the best. We'll usually be No. 2 or No. 3 in the B10 behind tOSU and more recently Wisky.

Of course we're more likely to have a record like that. We aren't ever going to be in the position to consistently go 10-2 or better. Ohio State, Texas, etc. are the schools like that, where it's more likely to go 10-2 or better. That's just the way it is.

But, I'd imagine that if recruiting services went back to a class 4 years later, we'd have top-20 classes on a regular basis.

It's funny you would say that with such disdain. That's actually a huge compliment toward the coaches, and quite an enviable spot for the Hawkeyes to occupy.

As for people putting forward the notion that nothing has changed in the college football pecking order; that's not true. Of course I'm referring to the results that matter - Wins and Losses and Post-season Play. I'm pretty sure Notre Dame recently went 15 years without a bowl win. During those same 15 years I think they had top 20 classes on a regular basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts