SIAP: Soup to be OC at EMU?

HawkinGoferLand

I've been off line all weekend but ran across this tonight from ESPN blog Fri

Reports: Iowa assistant Campbell leaving - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

I've heard Eastern Michigan is the likely landing spot for Campbell, who could become Eagles' offensive coordinator under Ron English, who he worked with at Michigan.

and from Mailbag:

Alex G. from Fairfield, Iowa, writes: How much will Ferentz regret not picking WR Coach Campbell for offensive coordinator if Greg Davis' offense doesn't become much more effective next season? Campbell was a fan favorite to replace O'Keefe last year and now that we've lost him completely, Iowa fans have more reason to be frustrated with Ferentz. Is there ANY way he comes to his senses and fires Davis this offseason and brings Campbell back or is that the most improbable pipe dream you've heard?

Adam Rittenberg: Alex, I like Campbell as an offensive coordinator candidate, but it didn't seem like he ever gained serious consideration there. We'll find out what he can do as a playcaller at Eastern Michigan, I guess. He's a very good receivers coach and a strong recruiter who will be missed at Iowa, a program that lacks top-level playmakers on offense. It would be very surprising to see Campbell back at Iowa in any capacity, much less a coordinator role, as long as Kirk Ferentz is the head coach. Once a coach leaves, he's likely not coming back unless there's a regime change.

Rittenberg doesnt know shittenberg, did he really call campbell a strong recruiter?? Unless im missing something i would call him ome of the worst on our team. Ill have to see who we got outta michigan lately.

He only has the recruiting magic when he is in the state of Michigan. The big green Letter E on their helmets is going to turn this guy into the best recruiter/coach/coordinator in no time.

What in the world was there to say you really like Campbell as an OC candidate? Soup is a good guy...and I haven't been around him a ton..but there isn't a single person I know at Iowa who felt he was a legit candidate for OC

What in the world was there to say you really like Campbell as an OC candidate? Soup is a good guy...and I haven't been around him a ton..but there isn't a single person I know at Iowa who felt he was a legit candidate for OC

You don't got Michigan to Iowa as a position coach to EMU as a OC if you are a legit OC candidate... Thats common sense

The night last season when he filled in for KF on the coach's radio show, he did not strike me as an overly bright individual. Just sayin...

It is funny to see everyone rag on Soup when just a few years ago everyone thought he was the the 2nd coming. I am sure all of our problems are solved now that he is out of the way and Greg Davis can do things the way he wants. Prepare for 4 yard out patterns on 3rd and 5 next year instead of 3 yard patterns.

It is funny to see everyone rag on Soup when just a few years ago everyone thought he was the the 2nd coming. I am sure all of our problems are solved now that he is out of the way and Greg Davis can do things the way he wants. Prepare for 4 yard out patterns on 3rd and 5 next year instead of 3 yard patterns.

This. Campbell leaving is a step back for the program.

This. Campbell leaving is a step back for the program.

LOL... because you said so tuba? I love it when people make statements claiming they know they are correct before the situation even has a chance to play itself out. Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. We'll see in a couple years. But for you to jump to that conclusion and be so definitive about it simply suggests to me that you are a glass half empty individual.

Three things about Campbell lead me to believe that Iowa fans were enamored with him no matter what he did. He was young and black, so people (like Rittenberg obviously) just assumed he could recruit. He came from Michigan. He has the adorable little "Soup" nickname. Without these things, I bet fans would have been calling for his head all season.

If Soup was such a highly thought of coach then he would be landing a high profile asst job at a major BCS school. Reportedly he's been looking around since the end of the season, and if an asst job at Eastern Michigan is the best he can get, then I think that points to the caliber of coach he is.

You people are silly. Position coaches from major programs often become coordinators at non major programs. It is still a step up.

They then go on to coordinator positions at the major level or HC at non major. That is if they do a good job.

If Soup is joining Eastern Michigan, he's joining a staff/program that under Ron English has gone 0-12, 2-12, 6-6 and 2-12 in his first 4 years. Anything less than becoming the head coach is NOT a step up from WR coach at Iowa. Odds are very good that one more losing season and Ron and his entire staff will be shown the door.

None of us have first hand experience of how good/bad of a coach he really is. Where he ends up next will gives us a good hint though. If he gets hired on at Michigan, Alabama, USC, etc then that will tell us he's probably a pretty damn good coach and highly thought of. Eastern Michigan? Yikes

If Soup was such a highly thought of coach then he would be landing a high profile asst job at a major BCS school. Reportedly he's been looking around since the end of the season, and if an asst job at Eastern Michigan is the best he can get, then I think that points to the caliber of coach he is.

Perhaps it is because he's been looking for an OC job and not a WR coaching job. He's an unproven commodity as a OC.

Maybe it will work out for everybody in the end. But in my opinion this is not a step forward for the program. Time will tell.

Three things about Campbell lead me to believe that Iowa fans were enamored with him no matter what he did. He was young and black, so people (like Rittenberg obviously) just assumed he could recruit. He came from Michigan. He has the adorable little "Soup" nickname. Without these things, I bet fans would have been calling for his head all season.

Couldn't have said it better...

Latest posts