SIAP - New Commit - Welch

Looks like another good one. Seems to be athletic enough to play either LB or TE with good size and speed (4.52 40). I will take the 8th best player out of Wisconsin any time. 247 Sports has him as a 3* but they also say he has a rating of 90 (low 4*) on the right side of this link ... so a bit confusing.

http://247sports.com/Player/Kristian-Welch-84075

What a great get this is! He has the speed and the size to be lb or te. He could do great at either position, but with the number of LBs in this class the staff may be projecting him as a TE. In that case with hard work he has the potential to be the next in the line of great NFL bound TEs for Iowa!

This is what 247's Barton Simmons said about Welch. He is the director of scouting for them.

"Welch out of Iola (Wisc.) Iola-Scandanavia is a guy I've been fascinated by of late. At just over 6-2, and in that 220 pound range, Welch could project as a "move" tight end, an H-back or a linebacker on the next level. At Iowa's camp, he ran a sub-4.6 in the 40 at that size but that wasn't a flukey athletic performance. He also happens to be one of the top long-jumper in Wisconsin and has jumped just under 23 feet at 22-10.5. That's a ridiculous number for a jumbo athlete. While Welch had offers from the likes of Bowling Green and South Dakota State, the Hawkeyes are now the clear team to beat with their offer. Hailing from a small school in a lightly trafficked state, it's no surprise that his offer list is limited but Welch looks like a big-time find by the Iowa staff."

An interesting little comparative tidbit about this commit:

Jordan Canzeri 55M time as a HS junior: 7.04
Kristian Welch 55M time as a HS junior: 7.13 (ran 6.98 as a soph though)

Damond Powell 100M time as a HS sophomore (only time I could find for him): 11.63
Jordan Canzeri 100M time as a HS sophomore: 11.30
Kristian Welch 100M time as a HS sophomore: 11.64

Damond Powell 200M time as a HS senior: 23.40
Jordan Canzeri 200M time as a HS junior: 23.10
Kristian Welch 200M time as a HS junior (obviously doesn't have a senior time yet): 22.50

Last edited:
An interesting little comparative tidbit about this commit:

Jordan Canzeri 55M time as a HS junior: 7.04
Kristian Welch 55M time as a HS junior: 7.13 (ran 6.98 as a soph though)

Damond Powell 100M time as a HS sophomore (only time I could find for him): 11.63
Jordan Canzeri 100M time as a HS sophomore: 11.30
Kristian Welch 100M time as a HS sophomore: 11.64

Damond Powell 100M time as a HS senior: 23.40
Jordan Canzeri 200M time as a HS junior: 23.10
Kristian Welch 100M time as a HS junior (obviously doesn't have a senior time yet): 22.50

nice work - think you mean 200 times in last three comparisons.

He is sure fast. With his athletic ability and size he should make a great TE, or LB. In addition to that he is a champion long jumper.

That is pretty fast for a kid that size. I wouldn't believe that 4.52 forty for a second if he didn't have those times on the track.

Can't coach that kid of size/speed, you either got it or you don't.

I like this get. That's a lot of speed for a guy that size and the frame to put on a lot more. He could translate to a few spots, which also helps depth.

It seems to me that the Iowa staff is trying to get kids with ridiculously high measurables. So much so that they are just as good as the 4* kids or better, but for some reason or other have fallen through the cracks. The speed Welch has at 6'4 and 220 is pretty crazy really. I don't see many 4* LB/TE who have actual 100 track times that beat Welch that can corroborate the 4.5 40 time as well (many time I just don't trust those, they are hand timed, and not all that accurate). I think the same can be said of Billings, Boswell, Wade, Darby, and Young. All of them have measurable that usually point to many more offers, and from more major programs, but have seemed to fallen through the cracks. We will see if the coaches can now coach them up and get a higher end athlete at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Well said. I think it's likely a number of these guys get more P5 offers when the season starts. A lot of teams hold off on guys with raw potential who haven't put up high production until they see how they look their senior seasons. So, part of the coaches job going forward is to hang on to them.

It seems to me that the Iowa staff is trying to get kids with ridiculously high measurables. So much so that they are just as good as the 4* kids or better, but for some reason or other have fallen through the cracks. The speed Welch has at 6'4 and 220 is pretty crazy really. I don't see many 4* LB/TE who have actual 100 track times that beat Welch that can corroborate the 4.5 40 time as well (many time I just don't trust those, they are hand timed, and not all that accurate). I think the same can be said of Billings, Boswell, Wade, Darby, and Young. All of them have measurable that usually point to many more offers, and from more major programs, but have seemed to fallen through the cracks. We will see if the coaches can now coach them up and get a higher end athlete at the end of the day.

Yeah, talented enough to be coached into getting drafted, but not necessarily to win at Iowa. Seen it before, dude.

Latest posts