SI Projects Garza at 7.7 PPG & 4.4 RPG

Centers are total crap shoots right out of the gates and it's just hard telling how much he'll play and what his role will be offensively. He's got skills to put the ball in the basket from all over so he's probably capable of more than that but we'll just have to see. I'd think 6 pts and 3 boards is a low floor to think he could reach if he's getting 15-20 mins a game. That said the more the merrier.

Would you take it?

Only 3 frosh on that list playing in the B1G. Luka only behind Jaren Jackson at MSU.

Looking back, I remember some fans saying 'conservatively' that they'd be happy with 8pts/6rbs from Woodbury as a freshman. Times have certainly changed with Iowa BB. Yes, I'd be pleased and satisfied with 7.7/4.4 from Garza's first year on this team.

They might be a little low, Rob, especially on rebounding. Luka could, quite possibly, get 2/3 offensive rebounds from one of his missed shots. He probably gets at least 7/8 rebounds a game if he has the minutes.....

7/8 points a game probably is etched in stone, and Luka could, more than likely, be scoring in double figures as the season goes on.....

Yes, I would be very pleased, perhaps even a bit disappointed if he doesn't get more points and rebounds than that.....

:cool:

They might be a little low, Rob, especially on rebounding. Luka could, quite possibly, get 2/3 offensive rebounds from one of his missed shots. He probably gets at least 7/8 rebounds a game if he has the minutes.....

7/8 points a game probably is etched in stone, and Luka could, more than likely, be scoring in double figures as the season goes on.....

Yes, I would be very pleased, perhaps even a bit disappointed if he doesn't get more points and rebounds than that.....

Yeah to me it's all about the floor time. Big guys production on the boards is tied to that as much as anything. They'll stumble into 3-6 of them any given stretch of 10 mins out there. Scoring is different but he seems to have a nice shooting touch and not shy about hoisting them up so far. I'm fired up to see how he fits in.

To put those numbers into perspective here is what the frosh bigs averaged last year.

Tyler Cook - 12.3 & 5.3 in 24.5 mpg.
Cordell Pemsl - 8.9 & 5 in 19.3 mpg.
Ryan Kriener - 3.1 & 2.2 in 8.4 mpg.

One would think that if he gets anywhere near the minutes Cordell did, he would have similar or better numbers.

I'd take 7.7 and 4.5 for a FR C. that would mean he'd have some games where he'd reach double digits scoring, some lower than 7. but if this kid can avg that close to double digits; then he would require legit concern by the defense. That helps TC to not get double-teamed.

Edit: We could have a multitude of combo's on the floor; but imagine JBo at the point and Baer and Cook on one side and Moss and Garza on the other. You'd have an off the dribble guy on each side that could dump down to the post for points, get points themselves or hit JBo for shot at the top of the key. This team could be a monster on offense.

I'd take 7.7 and 4.5 for a FR C. that would mean he'd have some games where he'd reach double digits scoring, some lower than 7. but if this kid can avg that close to double digits; then he would require legit concern by the defense. That helps TC to not get double-teamed.

Edit: We could have a multitude of combo's on the floor; but imagine JBo at the point and Baer and Cook on one side and Moss and Garza on the other. You'd have an off the dribble guy on each side that could dump down to the post for points, get points themselves or hit JBo for shot at the top of the key. This team could be a monster on offense.

No kidding. Garza at 7.7 and 4.5 would be amazing. That means we would only need to replace about 12 more PPG to replace Jok. Plus Garza is going to bring some much needed interior defense.

No kidding. Garza at 7.7 and 4.5 would be amazing. That means we would only need to replace about 12 more PPG to replace Jok. Plus Garza is going to bring some much needed interior defense.

deano, i must say that I am getting really excited for Iowa Hawkeye 2017-18 hoops, and beyond. We've got some real talent, here. I think this group of guys will be just as talented as BJ, Marble, Horton, Gamble teams of long ago. I honestly cannot wait for hoops!

If Garza gets starters minutes, I think he will exceed those numbers. There are several guys, including Kreiner that might know his minutes down. Garza will get his minutes though.

Anyone see the Wagner tweet? Something about them sleeping on Garza with those numbers because he's a walking bucket.

3959463519_a4e0287ef3.jpg

The only thing that would hold Garza from those numbers (or better) is a crowded front court.

Yep. When Garza make Fr. mistakes, Fran can pull him and teach from the bench, vs just having to leave him in because he has no other options.

Latest posts