Should MLB award Galarraga a Perfect Game?

No I think replay is great...it needs to be put into almost all sports...No reason to let umpires and judges affect things like this. It would have taken 30 seconds to see that he blew the call and then reverse it...we wouldn't have these discussions. The Stanley cup game 3 was the perfect example...when you watched replay it was apparent the puck went DOWN the line and never crossed it...soo the officials were able to make an informed call.

ESPECIALLY with the speed at which many of these games are played now. It's just a tool to help them do their jobs.

Selig made the right call to not overturn the blown call, unfortunate as that may be to the pitcher and the umpire. Sports are played by human beings following rules written and enforced by same. Errors are made every day.

As others have noted, this apparent "perfect" game will gain more notoriety and be recalled forever more in baseball lore, much more than if the last batter had been called out.

And, please, no replay in baseball. (I hate it in other sports as well.)

YES replay in baseball. For balls and strikes? No way. But for plays on the bases, diving catches, etc. it's a useful tool. Human error is natural, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't want the game to be decided more on the ability of the participants rather than a mistake by an official. I want guys who throw a perfect game to get credit for it.

If they ever decide to go back and correct all blown calls, how many double plays will be erased because of the "vicinity play" at second base???

If they ever decide to go back and correct all blown calls, how many double plays will be erased because of the "vicinity play" at second base???

Well if they did implement replay even further I don't think this is one of the calls they would include for review, kind of like a personal foul in football, but who knows, maybe they would.

Well if they did implement replay even further I don't think this is one of the calls they would include for review, kind of like a personal foul in football, but who knows, maybe they would.

They'd have to, wouldn't they? If out calls on the bases come up for inclusion...I know the vicinity play is kind of baseball's quiet way of protecting the man covering 2B in double play situations...but replay, used correctly, would have to put an end to it.

They'd have to, wouldn't they? If out calls on the bases come up for inclusion...I know the vicinity play is kind of baseball's quiet way of protecting the man covering 2B in double play situations...but replay, used correctly, would have to put an end to it.

Yeah, that's true. It'd be real interesting to see how they'd further implement more replay if and when they do. Unfortunately, I don't think much will really change on that front as long as Bud Selig is around though.

That's entirely different. Yes, the runner is TECHNICALLY safe, but so was the runner last week. The vicinity play is an urwritten rule, and it's a call that's given to everybody. It's not like it's only used a few times a year. It's used in every game at least once, with the same result. But on Joyce's call, the runner is called out 99.99% of the time, and he admitted he blew the call. But the vicinity play is not a blown call, because if you're a middle infielder, you benefit from that play every game yourself, so you can't blame a loss, loss of perfect game/no hitter, etc. on that call.

YES replay in baseball. For balls and strikes? No way. But for plays on the bases, diving catches, etc. it's a useful tool. Human error is natural, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't want the game to be decided more on the ability of the participants rather than a mistake by an official. I want guys who throw a perfect game to get credit for it.

Baseball games are already long and boring enough. Do you really want to add additional delay with umpires listening to the protest of a play, waddling over to a TV replay camera, putting on a headset, getting under the hood, reviewing a play every which way, consulting with the rest of the umpiring crew, then announcing his decision, which may or may not set off howls of protest from the newly "wronged" manager and/or players, taking even more time?

Really?

What happened with accepting the human factor in baseball (and any other sport)?

Besides, how much beer can you drink?

Baseball games are already long and boring enough. Do you really want to add additional delay with umpires listening to the protest of a play, waddling over to a TV replay camera, putting on a headset, getting under the hood, reviewing a play every which way, consulting with the rest of the umpiring crew, then announcing his decision, which may or may not set off howls of protest from the newly "wronged" manager and/or players, taking even more time?

Really?

What happened with accepting the human factor in baseball (and any other sport)?

Besides, how much beer can you drink?

This is the same concern that came up when college football added replay. Did it really lengthen games by all that much? Did it really hurt the game? No.

If managers get one challenge, then let someone in the pressbox handle other potential reviews (just like in CFB), then it should work fine. As for managers of the other team protesting a reversed call: 1. the reversal was justified by video evidence, so they have no case, and 2. eject any manager who leaves the dugout to argue the reversal. That'll put an end to such protests pretty quickly.

Latest posts