Should Iowa hire the best coach available?

Couppee

Would you like it if they hired someone like Calipari? Someone who would win at all costs, a slimeball who gets results?

I don't think I could have remained a fan of Kentucky BB if I was one before he got there.

I want to win. Losing sucks. Just as long as we don't end up on probation, I'm ok with whoever is our coach.

Would you like it if they hired someone like Calipari? Someone who would win at all costs, a slimeball who gets results?

I don't think I could have remained a fan of Kentucky BB if I was one before he got there.

First off I don't think Iowa is going to get a coach that has that kind of "record". Those types of coaches win and win big at all costs. That's why they coach at some of the top schools in the nation. Secondly, I think it's stupid to think that we need to focus so heavily on the squeaky cleaness of the next coach. You want somebody with good character, and most coaches have that. Ferentz and and Tom Davis don't come along very often.

I may be the minority but I think Iowa needs to hire the best recruiting coach available. I want a name like Lavin or Gillespie that the current high school athletes recognize and will help them land recruits. With that said I'm just using Lavin and Gillespie as examples. Here is why recruiting is so important to our bball program:

I think the reason the basketball program is in its current state is because of the lack of talent. We don't have near as many athletes when comparing to other Big Ten schools.

Iowa doesn't have enough in state high school talent to get the athletes we need to compete in the Big Ten so we need a recuriter that can get guys from other parts of the country and convince them to come play at Iowa.

I may be the minority but I think Iowa needs to hire the best recruiting coach available. I want a name like Lavin or Gillespie that the current high school athletes recognize and will help them land recruits. With that said I'm just using Lavin and Gillespie as examples. Here is why recruiting is so important to our bball program:

I think the reason the basketball program is in its current state is because of the lack of talent. We don't have near as many athletes when comparing to other Big Ten schools.

Iowa doesn't have enough in state high school talent to get the athletes we need to compete in the Big Ten so we need a recuriter that can get guys from other parts of the country and convince them to come play at Iowa.

+1. My thoughts to a tee.

Not all winning coaches are slimeballs, so I would say no to your question. Nothing has ever really been pinned on Calipari personally even though multiple schools have undergone probation because of events that happened under his tenure. I think he is shady at best, and I would not want him as a coach.

I'm as competitive as they come and could have coined the phrase "if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying" but I don't think it's necessary to win b-ball games.

Roy Williams, Coach K, Bo Ryan, Tubby, Izzo, Bob Knight, Crean, Lute are a few big names I can think of that I have a hard time believing cheat. One good thing that Lickliter does do, is run a good program and hold his players accountable for their actions.

It would be nice if there was a long list of coaches who wanted to come to Iowa and who could turn it around, but I just don't see it.

The thing about big name coaches is that they usually won't stay long. I think that's why Barta chose a a guy like Lickliter. If he wins, its not like he's going to move onto something bigger and better, because he'd essentially reach his maximum level at Iowa. Same thing with Kirk Ferentz.

I kept saying that Tubby Smith would leave Minny and a few HN posters told me I was stupid to think that. Guys like that aren't as loyal to the teams they coach. We need a coach that will commit for the next 10-15 yrs.

Iowa would not go after a coach with a questionable compliance record, period.

We do need to put a premium on proven recruiting ability. That's necessary because of our demographics. But it can't be just a recruiter, it's also got to be someone who is a very good leader and can coach.

Lick, for example, is lacking in two of those categories: recruiting and leadership.