Should Iowa Forfeit The Penn State Game This Year?

BillikenHawkeye

I think Jon makes a compelling argument for why the PSU football program should be suspended for a couple years, given what we learned in the Freeh report that was released last week.

If PSU decides not to suspend the program, or the NCAA or Big10 Conference fails to suspend the PSU football program for a period of time, as some have proposed, perhaps schools that are scheduled to play Penn State, like Iowa, should independently decline to play PSU. A school like Iowa could administer its own "mini" death penalty, even if the NCAA has valid reasons for not imposing their own, like the other Big10 schools did to Iowa in the 1930s after our slush fund scandal.

Would forfeiting a game be an extreme response? Absolutely. But this is not an ordinary football scandal, as the Freeh report makes very clear.

Forfeiting the Penn State game would send a powerful message about the commitment of the University to its core values. Somethings are bigger than football, and refusing to play Penn State this year would confirm Iowa's commitment to this proposition.

I realize this would be a complicated decision. Iowa would possibly have to forfeit the revenue from that game, there are TV contracts, ticket issues, and scores of other contracts that would have to be reconciled if the game was not played. But sometimes an institution has to have the courage to make clear moral statements, and not let the complications get in the way.

Alternatively, perhaps another Big10 could also forfeit their game against Penn State and play Iowa as a replacement. Wisconsin, for example, is scheduled to play at Penn State this year. Perhaps they could play at Iowa instead. Obviously this would be difficult to schedule, but it could replace the lost revenue if a game had to be played.

I don't necessarily think Penn State should be kicked out of the Big Ten, at least not yet, nor do I think PSU's football program should be terminated or suspended for 14 years as some have suggested. That seems overly harsh and punitive to innocent parties, like a college sports version of the Treaty of Versailles. We should avoid that.

The purpose of suspending the PSU football program, or refusing to play them for a number of years, should be to send a clear moral message, to refocus priorities and put football in its proper context, and to let the stench of the past go away and to start anew.

This scandal arose in the football department, and the remedies should be directed toward the football program. Football is not the only sport at PSU, although it is of course the biggest. The other programs should not be punished for the crimes of another sport. Let PSU keep most of their share of the Big10 revenues - perhaps with some reduction for money that would have been allocated to the football program.

Iowa, and other Big 10 schools do not need the NCAA or the Big10 Conference to suspend the PSU program if they act independently. Forfeiting this year's football game would be a clear way to send a strong moral message.

Last edited:
Pedo State should forfeit the season, at the very least, and avoid putting other programs in the uncomfortable position of playing them.

I realize forfeiting the game is a rather novel concept. I haven't heard anyone yet suggest that individual schools forfeit the games.

But why is it such a bad idea? Putting aside the complications of potentially giving up the ticket revenue, bowl ramifications, and the contractual issues with vendors and TV partners, why is it so ridiculous?

Why is this any more ridiculous than the calls to kick PSU out of the Big Ten?

I'm not entirely sure we should suspend the game, but I think it is an idea that merits serious discussion.

I think the best thing would be for PSU to voluntarily suspend their program for a couple years - and I say this as someone who had a great admiration for the PSU football program. I'm not a PSU hater, and I think not playing would be in their best long-term interest to get past this scandal.

But what if they don't suspend their program, or the NCAA, for whatever reason, also can't or doesn't do anything? Should other schools sit around and do nothing? Isn't the elevation of football over life, lack of moral courage, and the refusal to confront difficult issues what got PSU in this mess to begin with?

This scandal is so much bigger than a mere football game.

Last edited:
Yeah, let's have every team forfeit against penn state. That will show them how despicable they are! Who cares if they would win every game? We took the moral high road!!!!!

That would sure be interesting. I would be pretty shocked if an Iowa or any other B1G school took the lead on something like that. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with that at all. It shouldn't even come to it. PSU should voluntarily want to then the B1G then NCAA. Maybe make PSU only be allowed to play road games. No home games at all. 6 or 7 games all on the road. I can certainly see other schools saying they want no part of going there.

I'm sure all of the business owners in IC that rely on game day revenues would really enjoy Iowa making that kind of stand.

PLEASE stop all of the nonsense of forfeiting a game, let alone the death penalty.

For all of you self-righhtouse.. never-sinned, never looked away as a crime is committed...

Penn State must move on and pay the price to all of the individual victims of Sandusky. If it is only (8 or 9) in the criminal investigation or another 150 plus (according to reports of serial abusers) money and apologises and awareness must be made.

Whether it's $10 million or $500 million it must be paid back.

In the mean time we need to make aware and never allow for a "JOE PA" and "will full ignorance" allow this to happen. No football at Iowa or at Penn State does no good.

Continue to collect the revenues, send it to the victims and awareness and never... ever allow this to happen again.

Every football game for many years to come for Penn State should begin with a prayer and the health of ALL CHILDREN abused and how to send money to a "clean" charity.

May the Paternos and Penn State bless this message.

so you want to punish our players for something another school did...in fact a coach that is no longer alive and his in jail assistant did that are no longer involved with that school. that sounds counterproductive.

Penn State did the crime, and you want Iowa to forfeit? You must have thought this sounded like an awesome idea when you came up with it on the *******.

Latest posts