- Should Hyde return punts next year?

Not sure what you are basing that on.

The fact that we also have Bernstine (who played very well last night), Castillo (who only seems to be remembered for getting burned against UNI, even though he's improved a lot since then), Lowery (very promising freshman that got a little PT this year), and Lowe (not great, but has wheels, and nothing to sneeze at for a 6th string cornerback).

It won't be a play maker. It will be a safe guy, ie..brodell, sanderman, type.

If Hyde can consistently make the catch, there's no reason to think that he wouldn't be back there. If he can be a playmaker without being reckless (see Spievey's attempt at punt returns), then he could very well be back there.

If Hyde can consistently make the catch, there's no reason to think that he wouldn't be back there. If he can be a playmaker without being reckless (see Spievey's attempt at punt returns), then he could very well be back there.

Yeah it would make sense. Just not Iowa staff style you don't think DJK could catch a punt? Like safe hands only and smart decisions don't look for a play maker was my point.

My guess would be Cotton or Keenan Davis. If they are able to sign Hendy away from Maryland I think he would get a look as he has wheels and was a very good PR in HS. We will also have Shumpert and Martin-Manley as possibilities. I dont think Hyde will return punts, not because he wouldn't be good, but rather bc of the potential injury risk. And I agree there is sufficient depth at CB, on paper, but game experience is very valuable. Look at Hyde at the beginning of the season vs the end.

haha all he did was run across the field. no juking, no breaking tackles, just ran fast. c'mon guys. enough with these thoughts of grandeur.

This pretty much sums up Devin Hester's punt/kick returning. I suppose we're all delusional for thinking that HE would be a good returner. I mean, all he does is run fast :rolleyes:

actually no, but i have taken somewhat of a sabbatical from the forum. it was reaching fever pitch here for a while, plus in my profession it is coming into our busiest time of the year.

you work at the returns counter @ Macy's? cool

I say yes to putting Hyde back there if he can catch. He ran for over 3,000 yards in high school as a qb and he obviously has great field vision. I would venture to guess we put Keenan Davis back there though.