Shooting stats show need for taking better shots

uihawk82

About 36% shooting on the road is not going to win many games. The 3 pt shooting wasnt real bad at about 35% but the 2 pt shots need to fall at about a 50% clip not the 38% from 2 pt range. Need to work it for more uncontested shots whether layups or jumpers. Quicker, crisper passing with less dribbling, one extra pass to get a guy an uncontested jumper. Eight blocks by Maryland tell me too many contested shots.

The other stats were not that bad against Iowa except the timing of the big guys both getting 2 early fouls.

Joe T did not shoot great if I am remembering right. I watched the game delayed after going to a buddies concert last night, but it felt like he also had kind of an off night.

Joe T did not shoot great if I am remembering right. I watched the game delayed after going to a buddies concert last night, but it felt like he also had kind of an off night.
Ya his shooting stats weren’t great, however on one of his layup misses Pemsl got the offensive put back because of how much attention Joe T drew. Another one Joe T got the offensive board on his own shot and missed again.

That’s why I said I thought Joe T actually played pretty solid. Him getting into the paint is big for us. 8 points, 4 assists, 1 turnover. Actually a few of his missed shots and his turnover were in the garbage time at the end as well.

Iowa’s offense got a little stagnant. I thought CJ passed up some shots he normal takes after missing a few. I also thought Wieskamp should have fired a couple more from deep. He really doesn’t need a lot of space with his size. They tried running those two off the three point line and it worked to some degree. Obviously Garza being out extended periods was the biggest thing.

Good shooters look for their shots. I'm starting to see a pattern when it comes to Garza. Feed the Beast. He's obviously the guy, and JW, CJ run the perimeter and knock down 3's. What drives me crazy is Kriener. If he's open, he's firing, hit or miss. I get that he hits a few, but in last nights game, we needed to get in the paint. JT was driving which is what he needs to do if it presents itself. CMac hits a few, along with everyone else. Pemsl needs to rebound and play defense period.

Make more baskets. Got it.

The hawks took a lot of contested shots late in the shot clock and I dont think that works well for many teams. I think JW can get a really good 15-18 footer cutting around a screen about any time and he is great on those shots when in his tempo. Then when the defender ducks under the screen JW or CJF can pop out to the 3 point line and be in a fairly uncontested shot.

I agree with all that JT needs to penetrate and break down the defense.

Good shooters look for their shots. I'm starting to see a pattern when it comes to Garza. Feed the Beast. He's obviously the guy, and JW, CJ run the perimeter and knock down 3's. What drives me crazy is Kriener. If he's open, he's firing, hit or miss. I get that he hits a few, but in last nights game, we needed to get in the paint. JT was driving which is what he needs to do if it presents itself. CMac hits a few, along with everyone else. Pemsl needs to rebound and play defense period.
I agree on Kriener, he takes a lot of what I would consider bad shots. He should not be shooting threes in transition. The only 3 he should take is a pick and pop later in the shot clock. He was making some of those earlier in the year but he just doesn’t have a great feel for what a good shot or a bad shot is in my opinion.

I have really enjoyed what I've seen out of this group. Winning on the road is tougher than hell, so if we can steal a few that will help us. I think with Kriener and a few others some times, that "if they hit that 3", then maybe just maybe we can turn the tide in our favor. I would prefer someone else do that, but if it doesn't bother Fran and Co., who am I to say. Sundays game will be fun to watch. Illini are playing pretty darn good. We need this W bad to keep things moving towards an NCAA bid. Lots of ball left. Execute what we know and keep grinding!!

I think the stats tell part of the story, but where the rubber meets the road is really when those shots are made. With a team like Maryland that plays primarily a dribble drive type offense with a bunch of athletic players and suspect shooting, you have to get up on those guys and make them play from behind. If they get a lead in the second half like they did against us, it is very difficult to catch up because they are going to get to the line because of the pressure their guards put on the defense and they shoot free throws well. That is why the foul trouble with Garza was so critical because of the point in the game when he had to go to the bench. They were momentum killers and kept Maryland in the game. Credit to them, at the critical part in the second half after Luka missed the front end of the one and one, they hit some shots and we didnt and that was ball game. But that could have been us as well. We made enough threes, just not at a time when we need them. If we had made those three threes that we made at the end of the game more in the middle of the second half, got up 8 or 10 at something like 60-50, Maryland does not go to the line that much at the end and we keep them under 65.

Its just the basic road bullshit honestly. Garza had 4 fouls and Smith had 2, when realistically it should have been totally reversed if it was called unbiased. The double foul was really on Smith and the 4th on Garza wasn't even a foul, but before that Smith was hugging Garza with both arms.

On a sidenote, speaking of road bullshit, at halftime I flipped to the Illinois/Minnesota game and Minnesota just cut the lead to 1 with 1:30 left. Then on the block, the Illinois guy was trying to back the Minnesota guy down and the Minnesota guy never touched him, pulled the chair out from him and the Illinois guy fell down. The right call is a travel on Illinois. But they called a foul on Minnesota, sent the guy to the line where he hit both shots. Minnesota then got the ball down 3 instead of down 1 and dramatically changed the strategy. Minnesota got screwed out of chance to win one on the road and it is blatant and ridiculous.

I think the stats tell part of the story, but where the rubber meets the road is really when those shots are made. With a team like Maryland that plays primarily a dribble drive type offense with a bunch of athletic players and suspect shooting, you have to get up on those guys and make them play from behind. If they get a lead in the second half like they did against us, it is very difficult to catch up because they are going to get to the line because of the pressure their guards put on the defense and they shoot free throws well. That is why the foul trouble with Garza was so critical because of the point in the game when he had to go to the bench. They were momentum killers and kept Maryland in the game. Credit to them, at the critical part in the second half after Luka missed the front end of the one and one, they hit some shots and we didnt and that was ball game. But that could have been us as well. We made enough threes, just not at a time when we need them. If we had made those three threes that we made at the end of the game more in the middle of the second half, got up 8 or 10 at something like 60-50, Maryland does not go to the line that much at the end and we keep them under 65.

Its just the basic road bullshit honestly. Garza had 4 fouls and Smith had 2, when realistically it should have been totally reversed if it was called unbiased. The double foul was really on Smith and the 4th on Garza wasn't even a foul, but before that Smith was hugging Garza with both arms.

On a sidenote, speaking of road bullshit, at halftime I flipped to the Illinois/Minnesota game and Minnesota just cut the lead to 1 with 1:30 left. Then on the block, the Illinois guy was trying to back the Minnesota guy down and the Minnesota guy never touched him, pulled the chair out from him and the Illinois guy fell down. The right call is a travel on Illinois. But they called a foul on Minnesota, sent the guy to the line where he hit both shots. Minnesota then got the ball down 3 instead of down 1 and dramatically changed the strategy. Minnesota got screwed out of chance to win one on the road and it is blatant and ridiculous.

The reality is that it is much harder to win on the road. The same is true for teams coming into CHA. Look at the foul shot discrepancy last night, then look at the Wisconsin game. Completely reversed. You have to play really well to win on the road, no matter who you are or the opponent. And Maryland was a very good opponent. I thought we played well overall but not well enough to win. On the road, of course.

That illinois call was so bad. As a ref, you are standing right there. If you can't see what happened there 100 out of 100 times, you are in the wrong profession. If he saw it out of the corner of his eye and guessed, which is probably what happened, another ref needs to intervene. That was too obvious and too big a moment to not say something if you're the other ref. Especially a situation like that where it's just a travel anyway so the game stops there either way.

I feel ya on Ryan. He’s playing great this year, but sometimes his shot selection and situational awareness hasn’t been great for a Senior. It’s like he has Baer’s Jr year shot selection arc when he needs Baer’s Sr year shot selection arc. A lot of times it’s not within the offense, and those are often time misses, when it’s more in the flow, he hits. It’s like a timing thing with him. His hands too, loose with the ball still. But hey, he’s the best thing we got right now coming off that bench and imo he’s stepped up and played huge so far this year. We need him to keep getting better and embracing his role. He’s got to be better, but imo opinion he’s worked pretty damn hard to get to this spot, I expect him to do it.

Last edited:
I think with Kriener, his shot selection should have a lot to do with who he's on the floor with. If he's out there with Pemsl, Connor, and Evelyn, maybe jacking up an out of rhythm 3 is the best we will likely get. No way he should ever do that if Garza, CJ, and Wieskamp are on the floor. I've never noticed if his shot selection changes based on that, and it probably doesn't, but it probably should.

Latest posts