Shonn Greene

CGHawk

Does anyone here follow the Jets much? I try to watch them when I can, because of Greene, but I haven't really got the chance the past few years... and well... I'm not a huge pro football fan.

The only thing I get to see on Greene is stats and such... I have had him on my fantasy football team the past two years (Always a starting RB regardless of how he is doing).

I read a little bit on the Jets forums just to see what the fans think... and there seems to be mixed emotions.

Some fans seem like they are about to jump off the deep end (i.e. "omg Greene is the problem. Terrible vision. Can't break tackles. He is too slow. Not a starting RB. Blah blah blah."

While others are much more confident in him and have pretty good things to say about him (i.e. "he runs hard. He wears down the defense. Our offensive line is the problem--they don't block for him. No one can run well with that kind of blocking."

Then there are the people that are on the fence. We see this kind of stuff on most message boards.

Anyway, from what I have seen... He has nowhere to go a good majority of the time. As soon as he receives the hand-off the defense is in the backfield, the holes are collapsing/collapsed (if there was ever a hole to begin with) and there isn't much room to work.

The defenses seem to stack the box often, because well... Sanchez rarely has time to throw and the WRs rarely have time to get open. They lack a consistent passing game and they are rarely a threat deep... which would make Greene's job all that much harder.

Now, I'll admit, Greene doesn't show a great amount of speed or agility or elusiveness and he doesn't break a large number of tackles, but somehow this guy has managed to average over 4.0ypc in each of the past 3 seasons:
2009: 5.0 ypc
2010: 4.1 ypc
2011: 4.2 ypc

I would say that is quite impressive and on paper... it would seem a little bit crazy to complain about him.

Last season he had a 1,000+ yard season on 253 carries and only fumbled the ball 1 time (they didn't lose the fumble either) and had 6 rushing TDs even though Ladanian Tomlinson received a large number of the goal line attempts.

Aside from what it says about him on paper... He is effective in other ways. He is a punishing back. Try tackling him 10 times a game and you are going to start hurting by the 3rd or 4th quarter. That is his purpose, to punish and wear down the defense as the game goes on. No, he isn't going to juke a guy out of his shoes very often and he isn't going to cut back and break away down the field on a regular basis... he follows the gameplan and does his job... if the blockers aren't blocking... he isn't going to be very successful. The execution needs to be there, because he isn't going to improvise much and be dynamic or burn you on the outside.

My question is: Are RBs like Greene too... "old-school?" Is it all about having a runningback that is flashy (even if they still average less or just as much as Greene)?? Is that what the game is going towards? It just seems to me like Greene is effective, even though he isn't flashy...

Any thoughts?

The bottom line is that the NFL is a passing league. Linebackers in the NFL are so fast and strong that it's almost impossible to gain 4 yards contently. That's why RBs like Reggie Bush don't have a huge impact. You need strong power backs to get you the tough 1 or 2 extra yards to make it easier on the team to convert 1st downs.

i don't follow the NFL or JETS too close, but a little. My observation in Greene's defense would be 1) when your stated offensive philosophy is Ground-n-Pound 2) you have a crappy OL 3) you have Mark Sanchez at QB 4) you have Tim Tebow as his back-up then teams are going to stack the box and limiting the effectiveness of the running game.

Greene has been dinged up a fair amt too in years past.

It's tough to say whether Greene is the same back he was two years ago because his line is definitely not the same as it was two years ago. I watched a handful of games last year, and he is hit in the backfield as much or more than anyone else in the league from what I watch. I think the general consensus is that he runs hard, but the big plays just haven't been there.

i don't follow the NFL or JETS too close, but a little. My observation in Greene's defense would be 1) when your stated offensive philosophy is Ground-n-Pound 2) you have a crappy OL 3) you have Mark Sanchez at QB 4) you have Tim Tebow as his back-up then teams are going to stack the box and limiting the effectiveness of the running game.

Greene has been dinged up a fair amt too in years past.

I think they brought Tebow in to be an option QB.

I got very frustrated last season when I watched him. He was constantly getting hit by defenders (usually multiple defenders) before he even got to the line of scrimmage. I mean... I'll admit that there were times where he probably should have cut back and hit an opening when gap the play was designed for was filled, but I think running backs are taught to trust their blockers and follow the play (I could be wrong, I did not play football in high school).

The Jets have yet to score a TD in the preseason. Their fans, are even more upset and obnoxious than usual for NY fans, and that's saying a lot. Sanchez is your typical overrated USC QB, who, to put it kindly, has been erratic so far this year. They always seem to be behind, so any running play is met with derision. Their O line is pretty mediocre, at best. Greene deserves better.

definitely need a better line.
I'll take it even alittle futher and say he could use a better offense completely personal wise. The only thing that fits with them is their coaching staff and style of play fits him perfect. If he had the Texans group around him he'd be a star in this league too. I'm not saying he's in Fosters league but he'd at least be able to get past the 2nd level once in awhile.

Latest posts