Shocked, thought for sure it would go the other way, OSU and Neb in the same year

Captain Enigma does it again - leaves Iowa fans shaking their heads in bewilderment. I realize that Captain Kirk has no concept of trolling on social media sites but he sure knows how to troll his detractors. Just when you think he is beyond hope, he pulls this from his well-worn note pad (paper only please).

The love-hate relationship continues...

I expected it. The guy does know how to coach. He had too much riding on this game to do the 2/3 to 3/4 run to pass when the game was in doubt. He wasn't gonna let Nebby tske the incentives away by scoring late like at PSU.

This is one of his best ever teams except for the record. He has at least 3 players who are close to being the best at their particular position. Fant is going to be and maybe already be an amazing t e.

There are young players, but they were not the bigger issue.

Yup. I'm frustrated with both the coaching and the execution at times, but it's hard to call this year a "bad" year, considering the initial expectations. Definitely a disappointment due to the level of play at times, but as Iowa sports fans we should know better by now.

I expected it. The guy does know how to coach. He had too much riding on this game to do the 2/3 to 3/4 run to pass when the game was in doubt. He wasn't gonna let Nebby tske the incentives away by scoring late like at PSU.

This is one of his best ever teams except for the record. He has at least 3 players who are close to being the best at their particular position. Fant is going to be and maybe already be an amazing t e.

But we did do 3/4 run-pass ratio overall. Otherwise, agreed.

As good as Eppy might be, we need to sit back and appreciate the defense of Hesse and Anthony Nelson this year. They were really fun to watch and are special players. We are going to miss Jackson and the entire LB corps next year. Who's going to fill those shoes?

This team should have finished better than 7-5, losing to Northwestern and Purdue was unacceptable.

Absolutely. Losing how they did to NW, PU, and even MSU...those were bad.

7-5. I thought 8 wins was a good win total prior to the season. In retrospect, really shoulda had 9(8 )minimum

Perhaps, outside of Wisconsin, a case could be made Iowa could be a 1 loss team right now. Of course, they still would have missed out on the BTT game in that scenario. That said, if Iowa puts up 300 yards of offense instead of 66...how would the Wisconsin game be different?

Love the beat downs of the blue bloods (or has-been blood blue in Nebraska) but also very frustrating how this team has not been unleashed offensively throughout 5 losses this year.

Captain Enigma does it again - leaves Iowa fans shaking their heads in bewilderment. I realize that Captain Kirk has no concept of trolling on social media sites but he sure knows how to troll his detractors. Just when you think he is beyond hope, he pulls this from his well-worn note pad (paper only please).

The love-hate relationship continues...

Yup. KF always does JUST enough to keep me from joining the mob of angry villagers.. Just when I'm about there, he pulls a 2015 type season out of his rear, an OSU type win, etc. It's maddening but overall I have to say I feel he's done a good job.

7-5 doesn't thrill me, but 20 wins the previous two years, so...

Perhaps, outside of Wisconsin, a case could be made Iowa could be a 1 loss team right now. Of course, they still would have missed out on the BTT game in that scenario. That said, if Iowa puts up 300 yards of offense instead of 66...how would the Wisconsin game be different?
A case could be made but it wouldn’t be a good case. Too many ifs.

And the Wisconsin game is too big of an I’d to even be imagined anything different than a butt-kicking.

Yup. KF always does JUST enough to keep me from joining the mob of angry villagers.. Just when I'm about there, he pulls a 2015 type season out of his rear, an OSU type win, etc. It's maddening but overall I have to say I feel he's done a good job.

7-5 doesn't thrill me, but 20 wins the previous two years, so...

Agreed, I'm still riding that same roller coaster. Sometimes I think that it's close to careening off the tracks or seizing up entirely but somehow it manages to keep rolling along, providing both frustration and excitement for Iowa fans. But for me, I much prefer the ride that Fry brought to Iowa, that was the modern standard for Iowa football and I will always prefer it to what KF has brought us. Bottom line, I prefer to be entertained than to win in a constrained, play not to lose, manner. But it is nice to see that Ferentz is willing to let the horses run occasionally, especially when it comes to the historical big-boy programs. Seeing them get thoroughly ground into the dirt is quite satisfying.

I agree. He clearly doesn’t care about winning any games until his bonuses are in jeopardy. I bet he even tells his players not to try in those games.

I agree. He clearly doesn’t care about winning any games until his bonuses are in jeopardy. I bet he even tells his players not to try in those games.
You miss my point. He knows what he's doing. He is determined before he leaves to win a Championship bulldozing thru the Big.

He's trying to set up the big season his way. He deviates only when absolutrly needed. Getting to 7 was needed. He needed s big win against a good team. Few coaches can say what he's done against top 5 teams. It's not explainable any other way.

Other than OSU and Purdue, this season mostly made sense with close games evening out

1 OT win on road - @ISU
1 OT loss on road @ NW

17-10 win at home - Minn
17-10 loss on road - @MSU

Blowout win on road -Neb
Blowout loss on road - Wisc

Upset win at home - OSU
Uoset loss at home - Pur

Plus 2 OOC wins at home against G5 teams.

So the only thing that does not balance out is the close loss to PSU.

All in all, Iowa is what its record is. You can maybe argue they are a 8-4 team that finished 7-5, but thats about it, I believe.

Last edited:

Latest posts