Shirts/Skins??

Is there somewhere online to find this out on a weekly basis? Does the athletic dept post something somewhere online?????

I went and watched the scrimmage with my dad before the Hawks smoked the Clowns at Kinnick. A couple observations...

1) Teams were Oliver/Cartwright/May/Basabe/Cole (skins) vs Payne/Gatens/McCabe/Brommer/Evans (shirts). Stokes rotated in a couple times. Stubbs was in for a game as well. Marble didn't play while I was there.

2) We'd have a solid squad if Reggie Evans and Dean Oliver were playing with the guys this year like they were at the scrimmage. :) It was good to have those guys there. Reggie pulled Brommer aside a few different times to coach him up. Dean-o did the same with Cartwright a couple times.

3) Brommer was impressive. Nice outside shot. Shirts ran a lot of their offense through Reggie on the block. Brommer was good at stepping out for the kick-out and knocking it down.

4) Cole was solid. Banged with Evans and held his own on D and on the boards.

5) Basabe can shoot it. Stroke isn't pretty but it gets the job done. He struggled taking it to the hole against the shirts team that had Evans and Brommer in the middle. He'll need to add strength to fully realize his potential here at Iowa, but I'm excited for his career here. I also have to say that he was limited with a leg injury (probably ankle). He was hobbling around pretty good the last couple games.

6) I thought Cartwright looked better than Payne. Good outside shot. Can penetrate. Threw one down on a fast break. Played good d and communicated well. Payne had a few turnovers, couldn't finish on Cole and Basabe when he penetrated and didn't hit an outside shot.

7) Gatens was pretty quiet on offense most of the time but he took over 2 different times for the shirts squad by hitting game winners. One was a deep 3 and the other was nice runner at the free throw line. l liked to see him take over like that.

I went and watched the scrimmage with my dad before the Hawks smoked the Clowns at Kinnick. A couple observations...

1) Teams were Oliver/Cartwright/May/Basabe/Cole (skins) vs Payne/Gatens/McCabe/Brommer/Evans (shirts). Stokes rotated in a couple times. Stubbs was in for a game as well. Marble didn't play while I was there.

2) We'd have a solid squad if Reggie Evans and Dean Oliver were playing with the guys this year like they were at the scrimmage. :) It was good to have those guys there. Reggie pulled Brommer aside a few different times to coach him up. Dean-o did the same with Cartwright a couple times.

3) Brommer was impressive. Nice outside shot. Shirts ran a lot of their offense through Reggie on the block. Brommer was good at stepping out for the kick-out and knocking it down.

4) Cole was solid. Banged with Evans and held his own on D and on the boards.

5) Basabe can shoot it. Stroke isn't pretty but it gets the job done. He struggled taking it to the hole against the shirts team that had Evans and Brommer in the middle. He'll need to add strength to fully realize his potential here at Iowa, but I'm excited for his career here. I also have to say that he was limited with a leg injury (probably ankle). He was hobbling around pretty good the last couple games.

6) I thought Cartwright looked better than Payne. Good outside shot. Can penetrate. Threw one down on a fast break. Played good d and communicated well. Payne had a few turnovers, couldn't finish on Cole and Basabe when he penetrated and didn't hit an outside shot.

7) Gatens was pretty quiet on offense most of the time but he took over 2 different times for the shirts squad by hitting game winners. One was a deep 3 and the other was nice runner at the free throw line. l liked to see him take over like that.

Thanks for the breakdown. Wonder why marble didn't play? Haven't heard of any injuries, but then again it's been pretty quiet on the basketball front. It's very encouraging to hear that Brommer is FINALLY developing, even if only minimally. Also great to hear that Cartwright is pushing, if not passing up, Cully. We need someone who can penetrate and attack the basket. Cully was pretty solid last year, but he also struggled beating his man off the dribble and finishing. However, I understand he was a freshman on a bad team. Good to have some depth.

Latest posts