Shimonek, Taylor, Haffar gone

I can't believe it!!!

QB Shimonek will be walking on @ Texas Tech. He was a Greg Davis recruit, too.

LB Taylor will play somewhere.

PK Haffar will, also, play somewhere.

RB Markel Smith may be @ Milford Academy in New Berlin, N.Y. for the fall semester working on academics.

Iowa could be struggling with depth if this keeps up as it affects future years of the program.

Iowa can't afford this much attrition. The staff needs to figure out what's going on here with the transfers.

I'm going to go out on a limb here...troll much?

Is Ferentz pulling a Hoiberg and pushing these guys out to make room for better players?

No.

Shimonek said when he was still in high school that he was going to come and be the starter. He probably saw that there was some competition here and got too short-termed in his thinking. rumored to be going back home - wouldn't be the first guy to want to get closer to home.

Was Hafar on a walk on status?

The Cass-tech guy. who knows. he wasn't playing - wouldn't be the first guy to quit a program. was he friends with the other kid from Cass-tech that also recently left the program?

I'm not to worried about the players we're losing. They're good players and would have gotten their shot but the timing for this is better than it would be if they were playing a prominent role. I think they just wanted playing time sooner than they would have earned it here. We have good players coming in. As far as CJ getting some playing time didn't we recently go through this with JVB. What seems obvious with Kirk only works for game planning not player planning. Of course maybe he learned a lesson in 2012.

Losing both Sokol and Shimonek must mean the coaches are communicating that Rudock and Beathard are 1&2 the next 2 years.

I am also confused by the comment regarding the change in offense because, well, I have no idea what it means. Does it mean Shimonek prefers the spread and was surprised Iowa is reverting back to a tight end and run first offense instead of the spread he was promised. Or does it mean Iowa is switching to some new top secret offense and it does it not match his style? Or does it mean he does not like a new offense where he would be a backup for the next 3 years?

Losing those 2 qbs means that those two guys being 3rd string after spring ball didn't like their chances of ever getting to play and they were/are right.

To clarify his comment about offense changing. What he was meaning was that he was in a spread in HS and the change was coming to Iowa. He underestimated how difficult that would be and how he'd adjust to it. But it had nothing to do with Iowa changing anything since he's been here. He knew what he was getting into. It was just after trying it a couple years he didn't like it/adjust to it very well.

Supposedly the Texas Tech site has comments that Shimonek was struggling with the Pro-Style offense and felt it put him behind.

"Close to home" and "style of offense" are standard excuses when players transfer because they're stuck on the bench. Don't parse them too closely.

I too think this is bad news. Attrition has killed us in the past and losing as many players as we have since last season cannot be a good thing.

Shimonek (Iowa OC watched numerous times and offered him.)
Taylor (Cass Tech)
Barkley Hill (Was running with 2's and 3's in Spring Game)
Malloy (to UNI)
A J Jones (expected after brother's decision or Iowa's not to come to Iowa)
Sokol (first QB to transfer, running out of eligibility.)
Ruben Lile (considered best of Cass Tech recruits.)

Sure, some of these guys may never have played but it is way too early to give us on the majority of them since Iowa prefers to play upper class men.

I too think this is bad news. Attrition has killed us in the past and losing as many players as we have since last season cannot be a good thing.

Shimonek (Iowa OC watched numerous times and offered him.)
Taylor (Cass Tech)
Barkley Hill (Was running with 2's and 3's in Spring Game)
Malloy (to UNI)
A J Jones (expected after brother's decision or Iowa's not to come to Iowa)
Sokol (first QB to transfer, running out of eligibility.)
Ruben Lile (considered best of Cass Tech recruits.)

Sure, some of these guys may never have played but it is way too early to give us on the majority of them since Iowa prefers to play upper class men.

I almost chalk it up to just the way college ball is now... I bet if you look around the other schools are up against the same kind of turn over. It's just a constant juggling act that the kids just want the best overall fit for them. A shot at PT being at the top of the list. It's not just an Iowa thing. For all intents and purposes it hasn't hit Iowa too hard or too bad compared to others.

Latest posts