Share your favorite Matt Roth stories

HNMitchSmith

Two words: Iowa Hawkeye Pride.

This week's WATN is on former Iowa madman Matt Roth. You can read the story here. Roth's on-field intensity and off-the-field craziness made him a fan favorite.

As legend goes, Roth once challenged and cleared out an entire Iowa City bar.

What are you favorite on-field moments in Matt Roth's Iowa playing career and what are your favorite urban legends?

roth3.jpg

No stories, but he was a one-man wrecking ball on the field, fun to watch him destroy offenses, but most of all, he always came up w/ a huge play that we needed....

He had two words for LSU at the Hawkeye huddle before Cap 1 Bowl... He actually only needed a finger haha

Matt was at an NYC Iowa Club game watch a few years back. Nobody recognized him but the flame tattoo and persona are hard to miss. I introduced myself and he promptly bought me a shot. I bought him a shot. About 1 hour after the game finished our wives (his then fiancee, I believe) had to pull us apart. We were definitely 'bros' at that point. I hope he fared better than I did the rest of that day. That boy could drink. Someplace I have a pic or two with him from that day.

Some of my favorite Matt Roth quotes:

Hey Roth, did you take $40 from that chicks purse last night? "Dude...it was only twenty"

Hey Roth, how my sacks are you gonna have today? "A Bunch"

Hey Roth, I want you to meet my buddy Curt from back home. He knows your sister. "I will crush you"

My favorite play was in the Outback Bowl when he chased down Chris Leak from behind for the sack and then bounced up and did the gator chomp towards the Florida fans.

Against Purdue...Roth teed up a player on a cheap late hit and I wrote as much.

His mom emailed me and chewed me out a good one...up one side and down the other...

then later that year, my HN bowl charter trip happened to be at the same hotel as where the Roth family was staying. Matt came over there after the game and I congratulated him and began making small talk with his family, mom, sis, et al. Mom wound up putting two and two together and she started in again, but not quite as biting. Matt laughed and told me 'Good luck'. It was light and funny then, thankfully, mostly because Iowa won the game and Matt was gonna be a millionaire.

EDIT: I found the hit...on Purdue kicker, go to 7:20 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIOrM1I4tyg&feature=youtu.be&t=7m20s

Last edited:
I met Matt at Disney World after the Cap. One Bowl. Really friendly. Told him how hard I laughed after the finger salute which I have recorded.

Latest posts