Serious question about the 2nd half

First 4:30 of the 2nd half was start of the meltdown. Everything after that was an acceleration of that first 4:30.

Lead was down to 8 by then, and the momentum had swung. Crowd was back into it.

Totally agree....whoever has played the game, my coach always said it's the 1st 5 minutes is the most crucial...can't argue with that...

They torched the zone in the second half, and we stayed in it until they finally took the lead.

Who is this one player that people keep referring to? I have my suspicions, but after reading some of the posts in other threads I am not sure who people are talking about... Did something happen in the Nebby game? I wasn't able to watch and the radio stream I was using stopped working for me.

basically, what the hell happened?
IMO - They phoned in the second half. They got WAY too comfortable. They had Nebraska by the throat and let go. Can you blame it on the Hawks being a young team? Maybe .. but that's where senior leadership (May, Marble, McCabe) needs to step it up.

Very disappointing loss. Iowa now needs to get to the BTT finals to have ANY chance at making the big dance.

GO HAWKS!!!

I think Mel is a bad analogy in this case. Fran asked Mel to put on weight. It did not work out for his style of play being heavier. It was a decision that backfired, but Mel's sophomore slump can hardly be blamed entirely on Mel.

I am not sure the weight gain had more to do with his slump or the fact that he didn't really develop a jump shot until this year and didn't have any real post moves either. Mel's development has been key to Iowa's success this season. Playing harder doesn't have anything to do with weight gain.
Also, on this board it didn't matter to most people and there were folks that were hoping he would transfer, or suggesting that he transferred.

Agree ST, Mels weight gain had nothing to do with the problems Mel had last season. His problem was totally between his ears. Unless gaining weight some how made him disinterested in playing.

I think Mel is a bad analogy in this case. Fran asked Mel to put on weight. It did not work out for his style of play being heavier. It was a decision that backfired, but Mel's sophomore slump can hardly be blamed entirely on Mel.

Mel really isn't a center - never will be a top flight center in the B1G. He's been thrust into the role because Fran doesn't have confidence in Woody and Gabe for an entire game. I don't understand why. Woody and Gabe can play a defensive post role and be more effective for Iowa than Mel or McCabe's, IMO, no-post defense against B1G teams even though they do provide more offense.

Put Mel at 4 or even 3. Mel seems to have the shot. Is he athletic enough to be a 3? Put McCabe at 4. Leave them there. Hope Iowa can recruit more offense and true 4s.

EDIT: never mine Mel as a 3. Iowa already has a ton of capable 3s on their team - White, Marble, Uthoff, Meyer? McCabe likes to shoot like a 3.

Last edited:
The second half, as I see it.

The starters came out and played poorly. Could not catch a basketball for the first 8 minutes or so of the second half. Mel and White both fumbled away what would have been clean dunks.

Zone stopped working, press stopped working, and then so did man. Nebraska didn't sub a single time in the second half. Fran overreacted to Woody's foul problem and went with McCabe in the post. He was eaten alive. He gave Iowa nothing on offense, and was worse on defense.

Gesell came down on someone's foot, turning his ankle. Came back a few minutes later, but wasn't the same. Talley took it to him pretty good after the injury. He looked like he was moving fine, but was tentative.

Iowa eventually went man, but it didn't really matter, Nebraska was beating that as well. Josh shot very poorly as well- again. At this point, you can no longer call Josh a good shooter, this isn't a slump. He has lost something.

Clemmons has hit a bit of a wall, I'm still excited about him as a backup PG, but his minutes were not good.

Woodbury really needed to be in there for defense. Really, really needed to get more second half minutes.

Has anyone ever had a bad day? Has anyone ever just physically fumbled something here or there? has anyone not just been right mentally, couldn't get it together?

Of course none of you frickin' idiot posters and "fans"... you are all perfect.

Not to mention you would ever go away and compete away in a Division 1 Big Ten atmosphere with Division 1 , Big Ten BB players and a really good coach.

Go away everyone and come back in a couple of weeks.

Has anyone ever had a bad day? Has anyone ever just physically fumbled something here or there?

The Hawks did a few days ago.

I'm not going after them on a personal level, I'm trying to explain to the poster what happened in the second half of the Nebraska game. Pointing out Josh went 0-for-5 and that calling his shooting performance a slump isn't really fair anymore, isn't over the line.

We can be critical, without being a jerk.

Has anyone ever had a bad day? Has anyone ever just physically fumbled something here or there? has anyone not just been right mentally, couldn't get it together?

Of course none of you frickin' idiot posters and "fans"... you are all perfect.

Not to mention you would ever go away and compete away in a Division 1 Big Ten atmosphere with Division 1 , Big Ten BB players and a really good coach.

Go away everyone and come back in a couple of weeks.
Maybe you should go away for a couple of weeks,superfan.

The Hawks did a few days ago.

I'm not going after them on a personal level, I'm trying to explain to the poster what happened in the second half of the Nebraska game. Pointing out Josh went 0-for-5 and that calling his shooting performance a slump isn't really fair anymore, isn't over the line.

We can be critical, without being a jerk.

agreed and you have... without being a jerk

Maybe you should go away for a couple of weeks,superfan.

stayed away for 2 days and you are wrong... not a super fan... never have been and never will. Just always hoping and enjoy thoughtful/insightful and/or witty/funny posts and exchanges.

But you're right... with a planned vacation already to the Bahamas for a week why not check out for 2 weeks?

Will do... enjoy yourselves and c ya later.

btw tx Jon for banning Ghost and Scorp/Vint... it's been a much more enjoyable experience the last month or so...

Latest posts