Serious Question about Johnny Manziel

WayzataHawkeye

If Johnny Manziel had signed a LOI with the University of Iowa in February of 2011 would he have been Iowa's starting QB last season? I am fairly confident he would not have started the first half of the season due to KF's loyalty to JVB and his aversion to risk. I am torn as to what might have happened in the 2nd half of the season.

I am not going back to look but I think someone started a thread about this after A&M beat Alabama. That thread didn't end well.

If Johnny Manziel had signed a LOI with the University of Iowa in February of 2011 would he have been Iowa's starting QB last season? I am fairly confident he would not have started the first half of the season due to KF's loyalty to JVB and his aversion to risk. I am torn as to what might have happened in the 2nd half of the season.

The answer is no because he doesn't fit GD's system and GD obviously doesn't adjust anything according to his players abilities.

Most schools wanted him as a safety. **** happens, tons of schools even THE UT missed on him. He almost didn't start at ATM too. Y'all make it sound like our staff know nada. UR has top ten classes every yr, not much to show.... Blah blah blah.... It happens

By the way, he was set to go to the ducks an if there prob wouldn't have seen the field .

You're right, KF didn't want to win this year.

Formulaic trolling.

Not trolling and I do think KF wanted to win worse than any of us. I also am not amongst the group that wants him fired. I do think he is a too stubborn on personnel decisions and rewards loyalty over athleticism. I thought the Manziel question was a legitimate way to explore that topic.

Most schools wanted him as a safety. **** happens, tons of schools even THE UT missed on him. He almost didn't start at ATM too. Y'all make it sound like our staff know nada. UR has top ten classes every yr, not much to show.... Blah blah blah.... It happens

It's not that the staff doesn't know anything. But Ferentz, being conservative, places a higher emphasis on experience over raw ability. He's not trying to lose, but his definition of "best players" is not necessarily the same as everyone else's.

The answer is no because he doesn't fit GD's system and GD obviously doesn't adjust anything according to his players abilities.

A guy that can throw the ball all over the field and can run, making big plays with his arm and his legs doesn't fit GD's system? Ask Vince Young about that. Manziel fits everybody's system.

Just an FYI but Johnny Football was 3* recruit two years ago. I guess he must of sucked like all the 3*s the guys on here complain about. Heisman winner as a RS Freshman was a 3* on Scout.

I don't know if he would have played but I am SURE many of the "fans" on here would have said he shouldn't because he didn't have enough stars.

Just an FYI but Johnny Football was 3* recruit two years ago. I guess he must of sucked like all the 3*s the guys on here complain about. Heisman winner as a RS Freshman was a 3* on Scout.

I don't know if he would have played but I am SURE many of the "fans" on here would have said he shouldn't because he didn't have enough stars.

This argument makes no sense, just because one 3* player wins the heisman doesn't mean that all 3* players will have that kind of impact. Every year there are over 1,000 3* players across the country, if it was that easy Iowa would have had more than one serious heisman contender since Brad Banks in '02.

It will be interesting to see how well Johnny plays next year. They had the Outland Trophy winner at left tackle and an All Conference player at right tackle this year. It seemed like he rarely had any real pressure on him,and of course he could run away from it very well also. He clearly deserved to win the Heisman this year,as he is the most electrifying performer of the postseason also.
Is he as fast as he looks? Seems like a 4.4 guy.
I really want Iowa to get someone like him at QB,which helps the whole offense so much. O-line can protect easier and receivers have more time to get loose.

It's not that the staff doesn't know anything. But Ferentz, being conservative, places a higher emphasis on experience over raw ability. He's not trying to lose, but his definition of "best players" is not necessarily the same as everyone else's.

With that in perspective, Florida had 21 freshman in their rotation and Oregon has 65 freshman and sophmores on the roster. We are the only team in America that will not play a backup QB or our young talent.

This argument makes no sense, just because one 3* player wins the heisman doesn't mean that all 3* players will have that kind of impact. Every year there are over 1,000 3* players across the country, if it was that easy Iowa would have had more than one serious heisman contender since Brad Banks in '02.

We don't need 22 Heisman winners dave. It shows that 3* recruits can have an impact as RS Freshman. The argument is that no one from the last couple classes will have an impact because of they aren't high star guys. High 3* players have lots of skill but some of the folks on this site don't really see that way.

Latest posts