SEC Coach(es) and ESPN

goods10

I want to see what your thoughts are with ESPN having a CURRENT SEC coach being a pre game guest Analyst for the game last night. Can someone inform me how that is even allowed? How can that be fair to other schools/coaches? Pretty nice publicity for Alabama don't you think? As if they need anymore more.

agreed. but not surprising. since the b10 went b10n espn signed a big contract with the sec. not surprising they'd use sec people. i agree, it stinks.

Saban is one of the top coaches in the game. Say what you will about his recruiting practices (oversigning), but he's still an EXCELLENT college coach. Plus, he's coached in that situation twice before, so he's got more insight into what's going through the minds of Kelly and Chizik than almost any other analyst.

Saban is one of the top coaches in the game. Say what you will about his recruiting practices (oversigning), but he's still an EXCELLENT college coach. Plus, he's coached in that situation twice before, so he's got more insight into what's going through the minds of Kelly and Chizik than almost any other analyst.

The OP wasnt questioning Saban's credentials. He was going after how fair it is for ESPN to have Saban on.

Last edited:
No one has more experience losing that game than Tressel or Stoops; maybe one of them should have been on there with Meyer to balance things out a bit.

On a serious note, it was over the top to have two SEC coaches from this past season on there. If I was an Oregon or even a Pac 10 fan, I would not have liked it one bit.

The OP wasnt questioning Saban's credentials. He was going after how fair it is for ESPN to have Saban on.

Tom Izzo has been on CBS Final Four pregame show before. It's not some ESPN-SEC bias, if you have a chance to bring on the coach who won the title last year, why not.

Tom Izzo has been on CBS Final Four pregame show before. It's not some ESPN-SEC bias, if you have a chance to bring on the coach who won the title last year, why not.

Nobody is questioning these guys' resume. I didnt make the OP and all he wanted to know was if anybody else thought it was fishy that they had a current SEC coach on. The post wasnt questioning whether Saban or Meyer deserved to be on there.

Nobody is questioning these guys' resume. I didnt make the OP and all he wanted to know was if anybody else thought it was fishy that they had a current SEC coach on. The post wasnt questioning whether Saban or Meyer deserved to be on there.

If the ACC or Big 12 had won 5 of the past 7 national titles (with two coaches each owning 2 of those wins), I'd be willing to bet that it would have been those two coaches on TV. The SEC has won 5 straight.

It looks unfair because of the TV deal. But who else were they going to bring in? In the Pac-10, it was Kelly or Harbaugh for choices that were good enough, and both were obviously pre-occupied. The Big Ten was coming off an 0-5 NYD. ACC? No Bowden, no deal. Big 12? Mack and Bobby would both be good choices (IIRC Mack did fill that role not long ago). Big East? Yeah, right.

Meyer and Saban were EASILY the top two available coaches. And Meyer isn't technically the coach anymore anyway. He'll be an analyst before long.

I don't think it was that big of a deal. Let me know if a kid changed his commitment to Bama from another school or committed to Alabama because Saban was a guest on the show, then I will say it was a big deal.

"How is it even allowed?"

LOL. ESPN can hire whoever they want. Why wouldn't they bring in someone who's played against one of the teams, and can provide insight into that team? I hate Saban, Auburn, the SEC, and ESPN, but there's nothing wrong with this.

Seriously? Does it really make that much of a difference? Kind of a reach to whine about the SEC isn't it? If I remember correct, didn't Saban say Auburn would have a tough time with Oregon. I think the way they were used was substantial. Both gave an analysis of their first trip to the NC game and what it was like to motivate the teams. I heard/saw nothing that spelled pro SEC other than that is where they coach.

Here's an idea, the SEC has now five straight Champions maybe that has something to do with their coaches being there and to have these two with four total between them, yes I'm interested in what they have to say. Maybe if another conference can take the throne then we will see those coaches there.

If Pete Carroll was still at USC, I could have seen them bringing him in to bring a PAC-10 guy. At the moment though, the PAC-10 doesn't have a high profile guy to bring in. I'm fine with who they had there.

Latest posts