Seating location

MursenarySkum

I'm flying home to Iowa with my 2 boys and bro in law who played at Utah St. We're going to the UT st game, but I haven't been to a game in 20 years. Any tips from you vets? Sections or seats to avoid? Do most seats have decent views? Funny/smart ass comments?

I'm flying home to Iowa with my 2 boys and bro in law who played at Utah St. We're going to the UT st game, but I haven't been to a game in 20 years. Any tips from you vets? Sections or seats to avoid? Do most seats have decent views? Funny/smart ass comments?
Not really any bad seats, depends on how much you want to spend.

In September I prefer the south end zone because it can be hot out and that’s where you’ll get shade, or at least not have to stare at the sun. Most leg room as well. 113 is probably my favorite place to sit. One thing to keep in mind is the main Jumbotron is in the south endzone and the music can be really loud if you’re up higher. Personally I like it but some people don’t.

The lower 3 sections of the north endzone are also pretty cool, it’s probably the rowdiest area and loud as hell since they redid the north end.

The upper deck on the north side is a pretty good view and reasonably priced, but it’s pretty steep if you don’t like heights or get vertigo.

Since 2015 anything on the sidelines towards the middle and less than halfway down is gonna be pretty spendy. This game will probably be the same with McNamara and Brown making their Hawkeye debuts. That being said, the upper sidelines are still great views, that’s one thing about Kinnick…I’ve been to a hell of a lot of college football stadiums and the views in Kinnick are some of the absolute best as a whole because the stands are the closest in the country. No bad seats.

Not sure what your travel situation is but since you’re coming down for the opener I would HIGHLY recommend aroriving Thursday night or Friday morning. Opening weekend is FryFest and there’s a ton of awesome stuff to do. They have a huge trade show with merch and memorabilia, forums with past Hawk players, autograph sessions, and that night there’s a big block party with bands and stuff downtown. Lots of fun especially if you haven’t been in town in a long time.

If you don’t have parking arrangements I’d also highly recommend the Mennonite church. Super reasonable pricing and you don’t have the shit show of parking at the golf course. We tailgate right next to there and the walk to Kinnick is a piece of cake. If you park at the Mennonite you’re 10 minutes to Kinnick max.

There’s a bunch of construction around the stadium this year so parking passes from the U are going to be ridiculous. The Myrtle lot was always a solid option but the overflow from the people getting ousted due to construction is going to go there.

Hancher auditorium parking is free but it’s a mile and a half walk to the stadium. Not a bad option to save money. Some folks here will tell you to just use the shuttles so you don’t have to walk, but good luck with that. On the way back you’re gonna stand around forever waiting to get a return shuttle.

Wherever you go, plan for at least two hours minimum of tailgating or hanging out after the game before you try to leave town. There’s road construction screwing up the main route in and out of town and if you try to leave right after the game you’re going to be severely frustrated. Maybe you’re overnighting, I don’t know.

PM if you have other questions, if you end up at the church or in the Myrtle neighborhood feel free to swing by our tailgate and grab some food.

Not really any bad seats, depends on how much you want to spend.

In September I prefer the south end zone because it can be hot out and that’s where you’ll get shade, or at least not have to stare at the sun. Most leg room as well. 113 is probably my favorite place to sit. One thing to keep in mind is the main Jumbotron is in the south endzone and the music can be really loud if you’re up higher. Personally I like it but some people don’t.

The lower 3 sections of the north endzone are also pretty cool, it’s probably the rowdiest area and loud as hell since they redid the north end.

The upper deck on the north side is a pretty good view and reasonably priced, but it’s pretty steep if you don’t like heights or get vertigo.

Since 2015 anything on the sidelines towards the middle and less than halfway down is gonna be pretty spendy. This game will probably be the same with McNamara and Brown making their Hawkeye debuts. That being said, the upper sidelines are still great views, that’s one thing about Kinnick…I’ve been to a hell of a lot of college football stadiums and the views in Kinnick are some of the absolute best as a whole because the stands are the closest in the country. No bad seats.

Not sure what your travel situation is but since you’re coming down for the opener I would HIGHLY recommend aroriving Thursday night or Friday morning. Opening weekend is FryFest and there’s a ton of awesome stuff to do. They have a huge trade show with merch and memorabilia, forums with past Hawk players, autograph sessions, and that night there’s a big block party with bands and stuff downtown. Lots of fun especially if you haven’t been in town in a long time.

If you don’t have parking arrangements I’d also highly recommend the Mennonite church. Super reasonable pricing and you don’t have the shit show of parking at the golf course. We tailgate right next to there and the walk to Kinnick is a piece of cake. If you park at the Mennonite you’re 10 minutes to Kinnick max.

There’s a bunch of construction around the stadium this year so parking passes from the U are going to be ridiculous. The Myrtle lot was always a solid option but the overflow from the people getting ousted due to construction is going to go there.

Hancher auditorium parking is free but it’s a mile and a half walk to the stadium. Not a bad option to save money. Some folks here will tell you to just use the shuttles so you don’t have to walk, but good luck with that. On the way back you’re gonna stand around forever waiting to get a return shuttle.

Wherever you go, plan for at least two hours minimum of tailgating or hanging out after the game before you try to leave town. There’s road construction screwing up the main route in and out of town and if you try to leave right after the game you’re going to be severely frustrated. Maybe you’re overnighting, I don’t know.

PM if you have other questions, if you end up at the church or in the Myrtle neighborhood feel free to swing by our tailgate and grab some food.
Thanks Fry, that is amazing information!

Latest posts