Season Preview: Iowa State

thejumper5

I am doing a weekly preview of Iowa's games for the upcoming season. This week, I looked at week 2's matchup with Iowa State. It was a little long, so I had to break it up into two parts. Let me know what you think. Consider this thread a discussion on Iowa vs. Iowa State.

Edit: On May 19, Iowa State dismissed Scott Haughton, a starting OL. I have made changes to my blog accordingly.

Season Preview: Week 2 vs. Iowa State (Part 1: Offense)

Season Preview: Week 2 vs. Iowa State (Part 2: Defense/Overall)

Last edited:
I am doing a weekly preview of Iowa's games for the upcoming season. This week, I looked at week 2's matchup with Iowa State. It was a little long, so I had to break it up into two parts. Let me know what you think. Consider this thread a discussion on Iowa vs. Iowa State.

Edit: On May 19, Iowa State dismissed Scott Haughton, a starting OL. I have made changes to my blog accordingly.

Season Preview: Week 2 vs. Iowa State (Part 1: Offense)

Season Preview: Week 2 vs. Iowa State (Part 2: Defense/Overall)

thejumper -

Great breakdowns, thanks!

This year's Iowa/ISU game comes down to one person: Austen Arnaud.

If he takes what the Iowa defense gives him and be patient........12-14 play drives working the middle in the deep zones Iowa likes to play....then you will probably have a competitive game with Iowa pulling away probably late in the game.

If Arnaud is impatient, well ummm..........Tyler Sash and co. will set a single season int mark in one game. And the game will definitely be a blow-out.

I agree that Arnaud is the big key to ISU's offense. They should be able to run the ball, but it won't be competitive if they can't have balance. I honestly think the 12 quarter touchdown streak will end this year (my guess is that it will hit 14 and ISU will get a 3rd Q TD--complete guess). On the other hand, Iowa may be able to put up some huge numbers against a pretty inexperienced front seven, which may make it more of blowout than it should be.

I agree that Arnaud is the big key to ISU's offense. They should be able to run the ball, but it won't be competitive if they can't have balance. I honestly think the 12 quarter touchdown streak will end this year (my guess is that it will hit 14 and ISU will get a 3rd Q TD--complete guess). On the other hand, Iowa may be able to put up some huge numbers against a pretty inexperienced front seven, which may make it more of blowout than it should be.

The blueprint for Iowa State would probably be the '07 game. I think Brett Meyer completed 20 something passes, but only averaged 7 yards per pass play. It seemed like ISU was in 3rd and 4 on every play and Meyer would pick up 5 yds. on QB draw everytime. 10-12 play drives.....kick a field goal..... Well you know how the game ended up.

The blueprint for Iowa State would probably be the '07 game. I think Brett Meyer completed 20 something passes, but only averaged 7 yards per pass play. It seemed like ISU was in 3rd and 4 on every play and Meyer would pick up 5 yds. on QB draw everytime. 10-12 play drives.....kick a field goal..... Well you know how the game ended up.

trj -

Iowa's D wasn't taking care of business against the QB run option until the 2nd half ... at that point they clamped down and ISU didn't do much of anything on O.

Anyhow, one thing to remember is that Iowa's O was absolutely atrocious in 2007. Even if the '10 ISU O can pull off what the squad did in '07 ... there's little guarantee that the D will be able to take care of their end of deal.

Lastly, the '07 game was at Jack Trice. That certainly helped ISU's cause that year.

Latest posts