Scout's New 2012 Rankings

Paige is definitely not coming. the #2 PG is always going to be coveted by the big boys. Someone will give him a scholarship just for the sole purpose of one of the other top tier teams not to get him. we should use our resources on someone gettable.

Paige is definitely not coming. the #2 PG is always going to be coveted by the big boys. Someone will give him a scholarship just for the sole purpose of one of the other top tier teams not to get him. we should use our resources on someone gettable.

I agree but Coach Fran still has to make a play to get Paige. Sometime another big time recruit will come Iowa. I hope....

You can never get the hit if you don't take a swing!

I am also really shocked that Gessel is rated that highly. No offense to the young man,but his measurables just do not stand out...but I have not seen him play and so I assume he is really good. Hope the Hawks get Gessel and Woodbury at least,even if they miss on Paige.
As far as our chances with Paige...you just never know with a local kid. This season is important to regain respectability and infuse some excitement into CHA so these recruits can see Fran's vision for the future. The next 16 months might just tell the tale on Fran's success at Iowa....lock up a solid 2011 class, have a decent season and lock up a great 2012 class by November 2011....has to happen..make it happen,Fran!! Go Hawks!

Is this the best Iowa prep class since Horner,Haluska,Bru,Jacobsen,Funk and Korver? Has to be.

Look, it wasn't that long ago that Iowa got the best players in the state. Coach Fran has two solid recruiting seasons to get Paige, Staten or Woodbury. Not a big fan Gessell myself, but it seems he can play, so if Iowa can nab him, I am all for it. It also wasn't that long ago that Iowa got Top 50 talent either, so with the time in which Coach Fran has to recruit and the fact that he will have had two seasons of play under his belt when Paige, Staten, Gessell and Woodbury make up thier mind, I like Coach Fran's chances to land 3 or possibly all 4 of these guys. If Paige doesn't come it will be because Cully Payne is still there and you know Paige is going to want to start. Yes, it could be the best in-state class ever. If the four were going into their senior year, I would say Iowa has no shot at any of them, but they get to see Iowa play for a season and the style Coach Fran will be employing, for at least a year before they decide on their choice. I hope that Iowa can get Uthoff this season also to make the point they want Iowa kids to show those four the Iowa does mean business for the in-state prospects. Believe it or not, Iowa now is in a very good place heading into this season and we will see what the 2011 class brings, hopefully another quality guard and three athletic big men.

That may be true, but we don't know, but why go to a program where the PG probably will have started three years already...kids today want to be handed the job without question, but right now there would be question.

The type of programs that will offer Paige and he will seriously consider will have far superior PGs that may not be in their final year of eligibility.

Nothing against Payne as I'm a huge fan of his, but he is likely not nearly as talented as PG that go to NC, Kansas, Duke, etc. And again, would be in his final year of eligibilty therefore allowing Paige to be a three, if not 4, year starter.

I view the fact that Iowa will have Payne in his last year of eligiblity a plus for Iowa securing Paige's services. Other positives include distance and FM's style of play, energy, and direction/vision of the program.

The one positive about Payne being a Senior in that season is the fact that there will be no backup for Payne, so playing time shouldn't be an issue, but it is a matter of what Paige expects to be promised, told or handed to him. When I say this, I am comparing only Nolan Smith and Marus Paige and not Iowa and Duke. Maybe Paige is humble and will be looking to help get Iowa out of the doldrums and will have no issues being the backup in the beginning. Nolan Smith went to Duke with Paulus and Scheyer there playing PG and he was a higher recruit than Paige...so there is that, if Paige is not looking to jump to the NBA early or think he should or expect to be handed playing time, then there is still that legit shot for Iowa and Coach Fran being able to recruit him this and next summer. Payne is a very good player, don't count him out as being one of the better point guards his Jr/Sr years at Iowa. He had zero help at PG last season and that was a direct result at his turnover numbers, give him a break for more than 30 seconds to get some coaching and above all REST, he will be even better this year.

I agree Paige is gone, probably to Kansas if not Duke or NC or another national power. I would be very happy at this point to get Gessell and Woodbury. Woodbury actually sounds like a Hawkeye lean and probably has more upside, but Gessell is getting a lot of great pub and he would fill a need.

I think Woodbury is the best chance to land one of three but you never know Iowa City is just down the road from Marion. It will be very interesting see who or if they cut down a list to 6 favorites and commit early similar to what Utoff has planned.

The type of programs that will offer Paige and he will seriously consider will have far superior PGs that may not be in their final year of eligibility.

I view the fact that Iowa will have Payne in his last year of eligiblity a plus for Iowa securing Paige's services. Other positives include distance and FM's style of play, energy, and direction/vision of the program.

I agree, it's actually the perfect scenario for a guy like Paige. He has a senior to mentor him, help him with the college transition and back him up. Really takes the pressure off of him.

I agree, it's actually the perfect scenario for a guy like Paige. He has a senior to mentor him, help him with the college transition and back him up. Really takes the pressure off of him.
Only problem with the perfect scenario, when you play at Iowa two things dont happen, National Championships(hell even sweet 16s are rare now days) and getting drafted. I want Paige to commit as much as the next hawk fan but he isnt playing AAU and college ball for his health he wants to be a pro.

Only problem with the perfect scenario, when you play at Iowa two things dont happen, National Championships(hell even sweet 16s are rare now days) and getting drafted.

I don't disagree with that, but it only takes the right coach to get Iowa back to where they were when they were going to Sweet 16's, Elite 8's and the Final Four. The problem is, Alford was not that coach and neither was Lickliter. Davis got handed a ton of talent and trickled it down his leg, but Mr. Davis did a lot of good things in his tenure at Iowa and maintained a good talent level for a long time. Iowa has brought in quality talent before and it appears that Coach Fran is capable of this by looking at his incoming recruits and walk-ons, he is capable going to be capable of bringing in guys that stick around and find players that may not be rated as high as others. The only thing that I fear is that Coach Fran is 51 and just how long he will he be around? The plan that is in place right now is one that Iowa fans should see results in the short and long term. Again, how long will he be around, I hope for 15 years. If he is around that long, Iowa fans should expect great things in about 4 years. Melsahn Basabe, Roy Marble, Jr., and Zach McCabe will a class to be remembered.
I don't believe Marcus Paige is gone, I don't believe any of the quality players for the 2012 class are out of the picture. Even if Paige isn't playing big AAU tournaments, he would get noticed, he is that good. Coach Fran will have another class in place before Paige has to decide on his choice. With this first class and then who is signed for 2011 will have a lot to do with what Paige does.
The Ultimate question is this: Does Paige want to be part of a program that will have a ton of experience and depth and a chance to be really good from Day 1 when he signs.
Payne and May will be seniors who will have started for 3 years. McCabe, Marble, Basabe will have a ton of experience and some possible starts and the 2011 class, hopefully with no Cougill, will have played one full season.
I expect Iowa's roster to be very seasoned and be primed to make a jump to the top half of the Big Ten with the additions of the 2012 class, just depends on who wants to join.

Latest posts