Scouting Report: Oregon

Very good analysis Jon. I am a guy who loves in depth numbers analysis.This gives us a barometer of.what they are capable of doing.

It's all there in the numbers ;) They want to run, they are not good defensively...similar to Iowa in those ways...they score more of their points from three than does Iowa..they are a good free throw shooting team...guard-ish dominated from a primary scoring perspective. Indiana-lite without anyone approaching a Zeller.

Awsome, thanks much.

I don't think so...

I reckon it would be fairly interesting to see those same stats if only the last half of the season stats were included. my theory is iowa's number would change. A lot. We are playing much better than earlier in the year (when we were really really struggling. Iowa can win this game and I believe Iowa WILL win this game, but it won't be easy.
I sure like them french fried potaters, yep uh hmmm.
-karl

Iowa had some horrendous defensive efforts in the non-con, but that continued into B1G play as well. We gave up 120+ points per 100 possessions against Creighton, Iowa State and Northern Iowa. (Campbell had an offensive rating of 108 against Iowa).

But also some hideous defensive games came in conference play:

Purdue - 111
MSU - 127 and 132
Northwestern - 129
Nebraska (good grief) - 127
Indiana - 135

There was definitely improvement this year, but Iowa needs to make strides defensively if they want to move from NIT to a more serious contender.

The games we won against good teams (Wisconsin twice, Michigan, Indiana, Dayton) we managed to at least slow down the opponent a bit and be very efficiency on offense. But it's nearly impossible to win games where you give up 120+ points per 100 possessions, which we did 8 times this year. That's nearly a quarter of the games where Iowa got absolutely torched on defense.

This is a bad match up for that Hawks with only a couple of minor intanglibles going their way- time and depth. Oregon will be 5- 7.5 favorite heading into this game and i would be inclined to fade Iowa at those numbers.

Loved the post Jon and statsheet.com is another really good source for statheads out there. Info and presentation are outstanding.

Very good analysis Jon. I am a guy who loves in depth numbers analysis.This gives us a barometer of.what they are capable of doing.