Scott Van Pelt takes small jab at KF

I thought he was "mediocre" cause we are "just Iowa?"

Iowa "can't do better" right?

I'm confused I guess. Honest assessment many of you say. Yet we pay top dollar and most say he is worth every penny.

Screw SVP. You don't judge coaching by win/loss records. Especially lil ol Iowa.

Kirk is a more than capable NFL coach and I think it's pretty safe to say that NFL brass no infinite more than the likes of SVP...
Where you been at? Shooting more scenes?

Well, besides the obvious issues of recruiting at Iowa versus many other places whose head coaches go from college-to-pros(egs. Carroll, and Saban).

The strength of KF is as a teacher of the game not in recruiting(obviously something he won't have to do in the NFL).

Iowa has the 8th most players in the NFL of any program inspite of recruiting at around the 40th best level. Obviously, his program makes players NFL ready at a rate much higher than at most programs. Arguably, Iowa is the best in the country at developing NFL players.

His experience at the NFL level came as a coach under the best coach in the league, and his son is a member of that coaches staff(a indirect compliment of KF).

He runs his team in the NFL model. So, everything from the language of the plays, to film breakdown, to the offensive and defensive schemes are out of the pro model.

So, while there are coaches who have more innovative offensive minds and have better records at elite programs. KF's talents are principally as a teacher of the game and as an administrator of the program. In some ways KF's greatest coaching strengths are more tailored for the pros than college ball.

I could see why KC would be interested in Ferentz. He's probably more impressive to Pioli than an outside observer simply because he knows Ferentz's mind and has seen his "product"(players) up close.

You don't watch too much NFL do you? If we're running pro sets, they are from the mid 90's. If you want to see a team running NFL sets watch USC on offense or Alabama or LSU on defense. Ferentz's schemes would get torn apart in the NFL.

Very well stated. It's refreshing to read posts that are well thought out.

I think the biggest issue I have, and I suspect would be a question mark for an NFL GM, is Ferentz's inability to dominate teams with a roster full of NFL talent (ie, '10).

Well, besides the obvious issues of recruiting at Iowa versus many other places whose head coaches go from college-to-pros(egs. Carroll, and Saban).

The strength of KF is as a teacher of the game not in recruiting(obviously something he won't have to do in the NFL).

Iowa has the 8th most players in the NFL of any program inspite of recruiting at around the 40th best level. Obviously, his program makes players NFL ready at a rate much higher than at most programs. Arguably, Iowa is the best in the country at developing NFL players.

His experience at the NFL level came as a coach under the best coach in the league, and his son is a member of that coaches staff(a indirect compliment of KF).

He runs his team in the NFL model. So, everything from the language of the plays, to film breakdown, to the offensive and defensive schemes are out of the pro model.

So, while there are coaches who have more innovative offensive minds and have better records at elite programs. KF's talents are principally as a teacher of the game and as an administrator of the program. In some ways KF's greatest coaching strengths are more tailored for the pros than college ball.

I could see why KC would be interested in Ferentz. He's probably more impressive to Pioli than an outside observer simply because he knows Ferentz's mind and has seen his "product"(players) up close.

Mike Lombardi, former NFL exec with Bill Walsh at SF,and Belichek of NE,who is on Inside the NFL on Showtime was interviewed this morning on the Score. He knows Pioli,having worked with him at NE,and said that he thinks Scott will put a high value on having a coach he can trust,someone he knows, after his shaky relationship with Haley. Lombardi did not mention KF,but it sure sounds like KF would fit that description. I hope not,but this is why KF is a legit name to be mentioned with this job,which Scott Van Pelt probably is not aware of....the tight relationship between Pioli and KF.

It's because Van Pelt doesn't drink the Hawkeye kool-aid and is realistic. Kirk would get absolutely tore up at the NFL level, especially if he took his butt buddy KOK with him. Maybe if he had somebody who actually knows what the hell they're doing on offense then maybe he'd have a shot. If Kirk wants to go, then go right ahead, but I think there's no way he leaves Iowa. He has it made here. Can you imagine how pissy he would get during an NFL press conference where they actually ask him tough questions??? :eek:

Yeah, no NFL coach gets pissy at press conferences....???

Excellent post. Agree with the majority of information you provided.

1. the source of the criticism is not very intelligent so while it might be true that KF might not make it as a head coach, SVP has no business saying he knows that KF couldn't make it. What the heck does that guy know about coaching football? He might be able to assess Kirk's golf game but that is about it.

2. People on here don't know crap about coaching football at the NFL or college level, they too are ignorant as to how KF would do in the NFL. You can say what your opinion is but to act like you know is just idiotic.

3. There is a reason guys like Parcells, Belichik,etc. speak highly of Kirk and it is not just because they think he is a nice guy. If you believe that then you are an idiot. The speak highly of him because of his coaching ability.

1. the source of the criticism is not very intelligent so while it might be true that KF might not make it as a head coach, SVP has no business saying he knows that KF couldn't make it. What the heck does that guy know about coaching football? He might be able to assess Kirk's golf game but that is about it.

2. People on here don't know crap about coaching football at the NFL or college level, they too are ignorant as to how KF would do in the NFL. You can say what your opinion is but to act like you know is just idiotic.

3. There is a reason guys like Parcells, Belichik,etc. speak highly of Kirk and it is not just because they think he is a nice guy. If you believe that then you are an idiot. The speak highly of him because of his coaching ability.

LOL you people are idiots for acting like you know something, only I know anything.

Good post clown.

agree on all 3. the tavern hoks come out in full force on this board......

LOL you people are idiots for acting like you know something, only I know anything.

Good post clown.

Biggest pet peeve of mind. Instead of telling me the piece of information you know that I don't you spout how wrong I am without actually proving it. If you know something, post it, learning is interesting. Listening to you tell me how smart you are is not.

It's because Van Pelt doesn't drink the Hawkeye kool-aid and is realistic. Kirk would get absolutely tore up at the NFL level, especially if he took his butt buddy KOK with him. Maybe if he had somebody who actually knows what the hell they're doing on offense then maybe he'd have a shot. If Kirk wants to go, then go right ahead, but I think there's no way he leaves Iowa. He has it made here. Can you imagine how pissy he would get during an NFL press conference where they actually ask him tough questions??? :eek:
How in the f*** would you or anybody else on this board, including myself know whether KF could make it at the NFL level. What an ignorant post.

Nobody knows what makes a great NFL coach. No one. If they did there would be a successful formula that's out there and coaches would rarely get fired. It's a crapshoot really.

He's not a bad coach, he just isn't spectacular. Anything I've heard about coaches who don't make it in the NFL is that they're too rah rah or they care too much about coaching in the NCAA. Ferentz isn't the type of coach who can't relate to Pro's or who would make a half-hearted decision to go to the NFL. He has coaching experience in the NFL, he isn't a coach with a gimmick offense, he values execution, and he plays it by the numbers.

His success would depend on who his OC and DC are and how well the team evaluates talent and how well they draft.

He seems like he would transition better than many college-to-NFL coaches, but that doesn't mean he would be successful in the NFL.

Van Pelt is also a D-bag.

Kirk's style of football is perfect for the NFL but is becoming more and more ineffective in college. He would be a great NFL head coach.

Kirk is capable of coaching at the next level however, he made a grade school mistake of hiring a long time friend to be one of the important cogs in his machine. I fully believe this is a way to professionally and cordially get away from his friend without harming the relationship.

Chad
Ostrich
This
^

He's not a bad coach, he just isn't spectacular. Anything I've heard about coaches who don't make it in the NFL is that they're too rah rah or they care too much about coaching in the NCAA. Ferentz isn't the type of coach who can't relate to Pro's or who would make a half-hearted decision to go to the NFL. He has coaching experience in the NFL, he isn't a coach with a gimmick offense, he values execution, and he plays it by the numbers. His success would depend on who his OC and DC are and how well the team evaluates talent and how well they draft. He seems like he would transition better than many college-to-NFL coaches, but that doesn't mean he would be successful in the NFL.Van Pelt is also a D-bag.
Cosign. And SVP can suck a dik.

Latest posts