Scott Van Pelt takes small jab at KF

PeoriaHWKI

Was talking about coaching vacancies in the NFL and the coaches that always make the fans and medias short list guesses were being discussed. He brought up KF and said I don't get it. He said the guys is nice and professional but said let's be real. KF has only had 2 really good years out of the last 7 and most of the season the last 7 years have eneded with 5-6 losses which isn't impressive. Then he or Ryan said maybe cause he gets paid like an NFL coach they think he can coach in the NFL.

Last edited:
All true statements. I don't get the interest either. Not to mention that if Pioli and KF are such good friends, why would they want to ruin their friendship by going into business together? One or both is bound to get fired due to the other. Just the nature of the NFL.

When I first heard it I kind of got defensive and then I thought for a minute and said they are exactly right.

You mean he didn't say little ole Iowa or Iowa football isn't is a downward tailspin? Wow schocking KF has no shot in the nfl right now his seat is warming up enough at Iowa

I would say it is accurate to a certain extent (his clock management and in-game decisions are atrocious at times), BUT you have to take into account KF's gameplan and his style.

He relies heavily on execution and I think he would get that in the NFL more than he ever will at Iowa.

Obviously better talent is going to help ANY gameplan, but KF's gameplan actually relies on it to be successful.

I think with KF it could go either way if he coached at the NFL... Either he would be extremely successful and would fit well there... or it would be an utter disaster. I don't think there really is a middle-ground.

Even our best offensive player (McNutt) has troubles executing at the level NFL players do on a regular basis... i.e.: Making the simple catches.

That isn't a knock on McNutt, because I think he is extremely talented and gifted. It has more to do with the lack of focus. When it is an easy catch that he KNOWS he can make, he starts to think about what he is going to do AFTER the catch BEFORE he actually makes it... which we all know leads to dropped balls a lot of the time.

I have been skeptical of KF's coaching ability at Iowa the past 2 years, but I think a lot of things get overlooked that KF does a hell of a job at. He is coaching student athletes and I think he does a damn good job of helping these kids grow as men... which is what a lot of "successful" coaches can't seem to do. He not only puts good players into the NFL, but he puts good MEN/Human-beings into the NFL and at the college level... you have to respect that.

On the other hand... I wonder how he would be able to handle all of the headcases that plague NFL teams. If he thought DJK was tough to handle... Try handling someone like T.O. or OchoCinco or Randy Moss and those types of players.

It would be interesting, but I wouldn't be so quick to write KF off and say he hasn't done anything to prove himself as a good coach.

KF is really more of an NFL coach than a college coach. He is not a rah-rah guy that is going to fire you up. He is very business like and that is what is needed in the long grind that is the NFL season. Just because he is not the best college coach out there does not mean he would not be successful in the NFL. I've always thought KF was more of an NFL coach....and that is one thing that drives me nutts about him sometimes.

Was talking about coaching vacancies in the NFL and the coaches that always make the fans and medias short list guesses were being discussed. He brought up KF and said I don't get it. He said the guys is nice and professional but said let's be real. KF has only had 2 really good years out of the last 7 and most of the season the last 7 years have eneded with 5-6 losses which isn't impressive. Then he or Ryan said maybe cause he gets paid like an NFL coach they think he can coach in the NFL.

Yeah, because SVP knows so much about football and coaching football. The guy is a complete dbag and so is ESPN. If Ferentz coached in the SEC then they would have no problem with him.

How is Pete Carrol working out in the NFL and he won championships at USC? You can't tell how good a coach will be in the NFL just from wins and losses in college. Granted they are right that he hasn't great years lately except for two years ago but there is a reason his name gets brought up for NFL jobs, a lot of NFL people think very highly of him.

Yeah, because SVP knows so much about football and coaching football. The guy is a complete dbag and so is ESPN. If Ferentz coached in the SEC then they would have no problem with him.

How is Pete Carrol working out in the NFL and he won championships at USC? You can't tell how good a coach will be in the NFL just from wins and losses in college. Granted they are right that he hasn't great years lately except for two years ago but there is a reason his name gets brought up for NFL jobs, a lot of NFL people think very highly of him.

On the other hand, how large of a history is there of coaches who had less than great records in college succeeding in the pros?

I know Kirk is a very good coach, it just that his players are soooooo bad.

Hey! Way to pile on KF in favor of a comment by the world's foremost authority, Scott Van Pelt! Remember: You lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

On the other hand, how large of a history is there of coaches who had less than great records in college succeeding in the pros?

Here's the stats from a guy who spent 4 seasons coaching in a BCS conference:

4-8 (3-6)

5-7 (4-5)

8-5 (6-3)

11-1 (7-0)

He's seemed to have turned out pretty well so far.

I have no idea. Look it up and tell me because that stat is irrelevant as to how a specific coach would do in the NFL.

Latest posts