Scott Drew gets more impressive....

I have heard Drew has a bad rap among coaches in the Big 12 (cheater) This is coming from a source of mine who is a d1 assistant (not in the big 12). Just passing on what I have heard.

Not sure what the details are, but I'd be interested to know. I've heard that he pushes the envelope somewhat, but don't know if that qualifies as flat-out "cheating" or not. I'm not saying it's NOT, just that I don't know. Until he gets busted, I'm assuming he is not breaking rules ala Kelvin Sampson. It didn't take Sampson long at Indiana to get in trouble, and Drew has been at Baylor for several years, so....

Just because other B12 coaches don't like the way he operates, doesn't automatically make it against the rules, does it?

Personally, I think it's high time we had an agressive recruiter on our side. Just as long as we don't end up on probation or something like that, I can live with it.

I have heard Drew has a bad rap among coaches in the Big 12 (cheater) This is coming from a source of mine who is a d1 assistant (not in the big 12). Just passing on what I have heard.

Besides Pearl which i think is a pipe dream unfortunately, this has been my # 1 choice.

I've seen a few posts like this. Really ? I can't believe the other Big 12 coaches would not be turning him in and that Baylor would not be concerned given what they had just gone through with Bliss (coach prior to his arrival). The last thing a program rebuilding from an SMU type death penalty is another cheater.

Look, I think some in this fan base need to get over this utopian idea that college basketball is this squeaky clean sport. It's an extremely dirty business so if you are not willing to walk the gray line then you are not getting key recruits and you end up 10-22. I'm not advocating for a Kelvin Sampson'esque type cheater/situation but I think the type of supposed 'cheating' you speak of needs to be detailed,,,, not just throwing the term out based on rumors. If it's substantiated then I would certainly back off of my support for him as a candidate.

I understand what you are saying, about Drew "playing" in the grey area, but just stating what I heard. Didn't Pearl come out against the Illinois coaches and was kind of shunned from the "coaching circle"??? Just a thought as why no other coaches has said anything. They dont want to ruin their reputation. I was just told there is some animosity towards him.

I can understand animosity among coaches with the amount of pressure and money on the line. What I'm trying to figure out is it animosity based on grey area battles / successful recruiting or was a line(s) truly crossed ?

If the animosity was at such a high level as the result of cheating then I believe the Big 12 commish would have gotten wind of it and subsequently talked with Baylor about it. You would think given what Baylor just went through they would be talking seriously with Drew. Maybe that has happened ?

Has the pedigree......his father is well respected, not sure what his brother is up to. Practically everyone has baggage, D-1 bball is a shady business, I need to know what type of baggage are we talking about, is it carry -on? Or is it airport terminal size?

I live down here in Dallas and I know for a fact that Baylor doesn't have a lot of money to throw at him. If Iowa wants to get him, now is the time.

Has the pedigree......his father is well respected, not sure what his brother is up to. Practically everyone has baggage, D-1 bball is a shady business, I need to know what type of baggage are we talking about, is it carry -on? Or is it airport terminal size?

His brother Bryce (NCAA Tourney legend and former NBA player) is assistant to his father Homer at Valpo, just like Scott used to be. Love to get him but he'd be a fool to walk out the talent he has at Baylor, his best play is to just wait, he'll have his pick of jobs soon enough no sense in taking the quick payday when there is a lot more money and a better job out there for him. Until then he can enjoy winning 25+ games a season and playing in the NCAA tourney.

Last edited: