Scott Drew gets more impressive....

DuffMan

Scott Drew gets more and more impressive as you look at him.

8 years head coaching experince
Proven track record at building a program from scratch
Proven track record of winning games/having sucess in a power conference despite not being a big dog inside that conference (This is really important)
Coached at Butler (this is only important to Barta :) )
Proven recruiter
Plays funball

His accomplishments at Baylor might be the most impressive I have ever seen. He took over a program in shambles. Their previous coach was run out of town due to the way he handled the murder of one of his players by another player (Pierre Peirce times a bagillion). He was sadled with a roster depleted due to mass transfers. He also had to deal with NCAA sanctions that reduced his schollies and limited recruiting trips. Things hit rock bottom in the 2005-2006 season in which there were only allowed to play thier conference schedule... no non conference games at all.

Following that season (they went 4-12) they posted the following records...
15-16
21-11 (NCAA Qual)
24-15 (NIT Runner Up)
24-6 (3rd seed in the NCAA)

Wow... seriously wow.

After Pearl, Drew is my first choice. But I'm sure the "realists" will be by shortly to tell us Drew would never even look at Iowa, even if we took his salary and quadrupled it.

After Pearl, Drew is my first choice. But I'm sure the "realists" will be by shortly to tell us Drew would never even look at Iowa, even if we took his salary and quadrupled it.

We probably would quadruple his salary. I've seen reports where his salary was estimated to be in the 850k range.

Good post Duff. I think Drew would be a great hire for many of the reasons you have mentioned.

I think Drew can win here, Barta would just need to do his due dilligence. Lots of negative rumors around Drew. Barta just needs to vet these rumors, and be comfortable with Drew's operations.

Of the more high profile coaches, I think Drew is one of the more likely to listen to us. He is a midwest guy, so maybe he would like to come back. We can give him a large raise, but Baylor might give him a raise as well. On the negative side, he finally has built Baylor, does he really want to leave now, and try building another program? Plus a lot of his recruiting connections are down south.

Timing isn't right with Drew this year. Udoh is coming back and so is Dunn. Add the fact that they have the #3 recruit in the country coming in next year and he isn't leaving Baylor. That is a National title contending team next year. He wins at Baylor and he punches his ticket to any head coaching job in the country

Timing isn't right with Drew this year. Udoh is coming back and so is Dunn. Add the fact that they have the #3 recruit in the country coming in next year and he isn't leaving Baylor. That is a National title contending team next year. He wins at Baylor and he punches his ticket to any head coaching job in the country

This is the most intelligent thing I've seen comming out of a Cyclone fans mouth since that one time I went to VEISHA and...

Drew has been my #1 choice since rumors starting swirling a week ago that Lick was going to be fired. I'm hoping his being from the midwest and growing up when Iowa was good at bball will be enough to at least listen if Barta calls.

He seems like a very good candidate, I would think doubling his salary would be more then plenty on the financial side of things. Not real confident hes going anywhere though.

Drew would be a great hire. It used to be thought that he could recruit but not coach that well. Hell, ISU stomped them last year...do the math, but he would be a GREAT hire.

I mentioned Drew back in November (and was laughed at for thinking Lick would be gone and Drew would be good) and I still feel he is the perfect fit for this reclamation project.

I just hope nobody tries to scoop him up before us... (i.e. Oregon, NC St, Auburn)

Last edited:
It would not be shocking to me if Drew got a big raise/extension after the tournament is over...

I agree. I think it's safe to say he's going to be getting paid 2mil+ next season. If it's not with Baylor it will be with someone else... that being the case why not Iowa?

Baylor doesn't have the juice to pay him 2MM annually I wouldn't think.

This would be a very strong hire in my opinion.

My only question about him is, is this someplace he wants to be for 5-10 years?

Baylor doesn't have the juice to pay him 2MM annually I wouldn't think.

This would be a very strong hire in my opinion.

My only question about him is, is this someplace he wants to be for 5-10 years?

That's tough to say, but if we're paying him well, maybe he would stick around. But if he only stays 5 and gets us back on the map and we would be in better position to make a good hire again at that point, I think I could live with that.

Drew has proven he can go into a good conference and rebuild a program in shambles. I think that's exactly what we need right now.

Plus, even if we could get Pearl, I'm thinking we could get Drew for less. So maybe a "smarter" hire since he would be cheaper, and maybe we'd be just as well off. Assuming he is interested of course.

The more I think of Scott Drew, the more I like the idea of the hire.

If he did at Iowa what he's done for Baylor and leaves five years from now I'd lay cover the ground in front of his car with flowers as he drove out of town.

I have heard Drew has a bad rap among coaches in the Big 12 (cheater) This is coming from a source of mine who is a d1 assistant (not in the big 12). Just passing on what I have heard.

I have heard Drew has a bad rap among coaches in the Big 12 (cheater) This is coming from a source of mine who is a d1 assistant (not in the big 12). Just passing on what I have heard.

I believe you yet that somehow makes him more attractive as a hire to me...I think we've all seen blue chips enough times to know how college basketball works.

Latest posts