Schwartz: The Ferentz Era Continues

Great article....agree completely...even if we don't end this season in Indy...Ferenrz has proven most of us wrong....yet again.

First win over ranked team on the road in 5 years....I'm pretty dang close to declaring that Kirk 3.0 has arrived.

David Schwartz proclaimed the 'End of the Ferentz' era back in January in what was the most read article in the history of HawkeyeNation.com. Here in October, he writes that he was wrong about that in an article that hits on all the right points. I'd call it a must read and share, especially if you read the one in January. Well done, David. http://hawkeyenation.com/2015/schwartz-the-ferentz-era-continues

That article came to mind as I listened to the end of your pod cast. I wondered to myself if he would follow up with another article.

Just curious. Did this journalist, Schwartz, ever participate in college sports?

Does he really understand the effort it takes to coach a football team? A basketball team? Hockey team?

Happy, in a way, he admitted his mistakes, but until he coaches at a major university, or anywhere for that matter, he should not declare much of anything regarding coaching.

Can he have a personal opinion? Of course. Should he be viewed as a sports expert that folks should follow or believe?

You can watch a thousand games and talk to a thousand players, but don't pass yourself off as an expert in college coaching. Please!

For those of us who think we are better coaches, apply for the job then. Some fans were after Bob Stoops recently also. Even Nick Saban. Seriously?

Just curious. Did this journalist, Schwartz, ever participate in college sports?

Does he really understand the effort it takes to coach a football team? A basketball team? Hockey team?

Happy, in a way, he admitted his mistakes, but until he coaches at a major university, or anywhere for that matter, he should not declare much of anything regarding coaching.

Can he have a personal opinion? Of course. Should he be viewed as a sports expert that folks should follow or believe?

You can watch a thousand games and talk to a thousand players, but don't pass yourself off as an expert in college coaching. Please!

For those of us who think we are better coaches, apply for the job then. Some fans were after Bob Stoops recently also. Even Nick Saban. Seriously?
I see what you're saying
... But this just isn't how journalism works. You don't have to coach or play in college sports to have an opinion.

i don't think anyone tries to pass themselves off as "experts" when they commen on a coach, they are just expressing the product thy see doesn't pass their personal eye test. I would have told you KF wouldn't have anothe good season again last year, as well. And statistically, I guarantee that was the case.

However, there's a reason we play the games on Saturday. Just because any team can win doesn't mean our report and opinions all have to be so ambiguous that we just say "well it's in the coaches' and players' hands this week." I personally like hearing what those "in the know" (journalists who have been following the team long and close enough to know way more than I do.

Was Schwartz right in the end? No, but I don't think it takes away from his credibility. He made an opinion and now acknowledges it was wrong.

Last edited:
This article is far too premature.

I am as happy as anyone with the 5-0 start, but there is a lot of football to be played. Schwartz must have a really short memory. In 2006 the team started 4-0, finished 6-7. The 2012 dumpster fire started 4-2, with wins over Minny and at Michigan State.

This team looks solid, but the margin is exceedingly narrow. Flame out, and nobody will say "but Kirk goes for it on 4th down."

I am as happy as anyone with the 5-0 start, but there is a lot of football to be played. Schwartz must have a really short memory. In 2006 the team started 4-0, finished 6-7. The 2012 dumpster fire started 4-2, with wins over Minny and at Michigan State.

This team looks solid, but the margin is exceedingly narrow. Flame out, and nobody will say "but Kirk goes for it on 4th down."

I beg to differ, it's great timing. Iowa is 5-0 coming off a road victory against a Top 20 team. With all due respect this team doesn't resemble either the 2006 or 2012 team. Especially the 2012 team lol. Wow

I beg to differ, it's great timing. Iowa is 5-0 coming off a road victory against a Top 20 team. With all due respect this team doesn't resemble either the 2006 or 2012 team. Especially the 2012 team lol. Wow

And that's the point--you can't compare until late or after the season. I'll bet you didn't think the 2012 team "resembled" the 2006 team after it beat Minny and then at Michigan State. So, Lol right back at you. Wow.

Agreed. Too son. Last year, we were 6-2, and we weren't anointing Ferentz 3.0 after the 48-7 beat down of Northwestern.
We were fortunate to win that game against Connie. Teams don't fumble on 1st and goal from the 1, like Connie, all too often.

If we win against Northwestern, given how Northwestern has played, then Ferentz 3.0 timeline can start.

I elated with our start... but its way way too early to make any conclusions.

The one thing I can admit to this point is that Ferentz has been way more aggressive strategically then I've ever seen him.

And that's the point--you can't compare until late or after the season. I'll bet you didn't think the 2012 team "resembled" the 2006 team after it beat Minny and then at Michigan State. So, Lol right back at you. Wow.

lol.. Give me a break~

I will bet you anything you wish to wager that Iowa doesn't finish under 500 like any of these teams!! It's a Ridiculous comparison!!

Agreed. Too son. Last year, we were 6-2, and we weren't anointing Ferentz 3.0 after the 48-7 beat down of Northwestern.
We were fortunate to win that game against Connie. Teams don't fumble on 1st and goal from the 1, like Connie, all too often.

If we win against Northwestern, given how Northwestern has played, then Ferentz 3.0 timeline can start.

All due respect Hawks missed a chip shot fg which would have made the late WI would be TD an overtime force. Woulda coulda shoulda

Agree with pretty much everything Florida said.
Earlier, I called BS on Schwartz, so it's sweet to see him coming crawling back.

#goHawks

I don't see a problem with a feel-good article after a feel-good start. That seems reasonable. I also understand that some of us had parents who taught us "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". If Iowa lost to Illinois they would have the exact same record as last year after 6 games (5-1).

Having said all of that there is some magic to this season and after 5 consecutive non-magical seasons (half a decade) that is a relief. Back in August the board enforcers didn't like it when anyone threw it in their face that our trophy case was empty. Now that's no longer true and they are entitled to crow a bit. But they'll over-reach just like the doubters.

In the end Kirk was never going anywhere. He'll retire as coach in 2020 and we all will wax nostalgic when he's gone. We're lucky to have only 2 coaches in a 35 yr period. No other FBS team can make that claim. Now Kirk, go and win us a bowl game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts