Schwartz Sunday Notes: Bohannon Shines, Cook on the Brink, Gustafson in the Shadows

One thing that blatantly stood out to me in the overtime against Michigan was what didn't happen in OT. In the last minute when we needed a three to score, why the F did we not set screens for Jordan, perhaps the best clutch shooter in college basketball, certainly one of the very best.....

Bohannon dribbled the ball downcourt while two hawks stood on each wing watching him dribble. Then Garza ran to the top of the key, not his spot at all, his expertise seems to be nailing a three from the wings. Then Moss getting somewhat open for a shot on the wing, when he really wasn't On during the tournament.....

Appeared to me that the strategy was to use Jordan as a decoy, hopefully getting Garza and Moss open for a game-winning three. WTF. Set screens for Jordan and let him shoot on the run, off the dribble, which he is quite expert at.....

Nonetheless, we made the Wolverines sweat, and they were scared in the first half. The players on the bench were quite apprehensive. Players on the court were looking at each other, wondering what the hell was going on. They definitely took the game for granted.....

Done

:cool:

It’s a good read and it made me sick because I always study hard and struggle through college classes, and the players just cruise thru 4 years of school because they’re basketball players? Just sick. I’m glad I’m earning my education through my hard work.

One thing that blatantly stood out to me in the overtime against Michigan was what didn't happen in OT. In the last minute when we needed a three to score, why the F did we not set screens for Jordan, perhaps the best clutch shooter in college basketball, certainly one of the very best.....

Bohannon dribbled the ball downcourt while two hawks stood on each wing watching him dribble. Then Garza ran to the top of the key, not his spot at all, his expertise seems to be nailing a three from the wings. Then Moss getting somewhat open for a shot on the wing, when he really wasn't On during the tournament.....

Appeared to me that the strategy was to use Jordan as a decoy, hopefully getting Garza and Moss open for a game-winning three. WTF. Set screens for Jordan and let him shoot on the run, off the dribble, which he is quite expert at.....

Nonetheless, we made the Wolverines sweat, and they were scared in the first half. The players on the bench were quite apprehensive. Players on the court were looking at each other, wondering what the hell was going on. They definitely took the game for granted.....

Done

:cool:

Agreed. We played Michigan the best in the BTT. We probably should have beat them. Can't believe I'm saying that, but Iowa did show up for this tournament for a change. I agree, Garza had no legs in that game and Moss just threw up a contested brick. Jordan was the guy on fire from behind the arc.

Overtime was poorly handled execution wise and shot selection wise.

Agreed. We played Michigan the best in the BTT. We probably should have beat them. Can't believe I'm saying that, but Iowa did show up for this tournament for a change. I agree, Garza had no legs in that game and Moss just threw up a contested brick. Jordan was the guy on fire from behind the arc.

Overtime was poorly handled execution wise and shot selection wise.

Jordan was the opposite of fire from behind the arc against Michigan.

He still gave us a better chance to win than those other 2 options.

I was fine with the Garza 3. He's shown an ability to hit big shots late. Also it's unfortunate that Bohannon had an off night because we would have won otherwise. But we would have won due to bad Michigan shooting. Not from a good defensive effort.

I was fine with the Garza 3. He's shown an ability to hit big shots late. Also it's unfortunate that Bohannon had an off night because we would have won otherwise. But we would have won due to bad Michigan shooting. Not from a good defensive effort.

Don't get me wrong....Garza has shown the ability to knock down 3s here and there. Just seemed to me, in this game, he had no legs on a number of his attempts. Probably fatigue setting in. I felt like, when JBo was shooting it, it still had a chance.

Agreed, Michigan gave us every chance under the sun. We should have put them away, but couldn't.

Last edited:
None better than Fran...coaching at the end of the game...on the fly...well, other than about 400 coaches...

Latest posts